Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Clean sweep on My Golf Spy of all the applicable categories.

#1 In Players Irons with the 919 Tour
#1 In Players Distance Irons with the 919 Forged
#1 In Game Improvement with the 919 Hot Metal
Bonus:
#3 In Game Improvement with the 91 Hot Metal Pro

My HMP irons got a test today. I played 7000 yards today which is 300-400 yards longer than my comfort zone. Shot 81 with many great iron shots with my 5i and 6i. These irons are so forgiving! I hit 2 5i’s half on the grooves and half on the chrome of the toe. The ball tracked beautifully on my intended line and lost only 10 yards at most.

I had another round with the HM 5 iron and some more good shots. Best one was a 180 yard uphill shot to a blind green for one of my few GIRs and my only par today. Great high trajectory and stopped fast on the green

Mizuno JPX919 Irons

Placed an order for HMP with Recoil F3 1/2 short with 2 degree flat. 5-P. 5i at 37.5”
I was thinking getting HM but HMP gave me lot more spin numbers with minimal lost distance. Will need to check the swing weights when it gets here. Looks and feels promising. Hopefully it will last me few years until i need a senior flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I had another round with the HM 5 iron and some more good shots. Best one was a 180 yard uphill shot to a blind green for one of my few GIRs and my only par today. Great high trajectory and stopped fast on the green

Sounds like you are really getting along well with the 5i. Good to hear it.

Sounds like you are really getting along well with the 5i. Good to hear it.

Yeah I’m really loving it so far! When I got the Srixon 565s I thought I was set for a long time. The reason I picked up the Mizuno 5 iron is that I don’t hit my hybrids all that well, and 160-180 yard range is where I struggle the most to be accurate. Canadan’s video intrigued me so I figured “what the heck”.

As much as I love the Srixons, the Mizuno HM is easier to hit consistently in the 5 iron. Overall much higher flight too. I think my apex with this 5 is higher than my Srixon 7.

The green I hit yesterday has bunkers front left and right, so there is a narrow opening to bounce/roll it onto the green. When I swung, the ball was going a little left of my intended line so I figured I’d be in the left bunker. But when I got to the green, the ball was maybe 10 feet beyond the bunker. On that line there was no way that the ball went through the bunker and no evidence in the bunker. I didn’t find a ball mark, so I concluded it hit the fringe and rolled out maybe 5-6 feet.

This is the 4th or 5th time in two full rounds I’ve hit a shot like that. I can’t remember pulling off a similar shot with 5 iron or hybrid more than twice all year with other clubs. So - yeah, you could say I’m getting along well with it :)

Last edited:
Yeah I’m really loving it so far! When I got the Srixon 565s I thought I was set for a long time. The reason I picked up the Mizuno 5 iron is that I don’t hit my hybrids all that well, and 160-180 yard range is where I struggle the most to be accurate. Canadan’s video intrigued me so I figured “what the heck”.

As much as I love the Srixons, the Mizuno HM is easier to hit consistently in the 5 iron. Overall much higher flight too. I think my apex with this 5 is higher than my Srixon 7.

The green I hit yesterday has bunkers front left and right, so there is a narrow opening to bounce/roll it onto the green. When I swung, the ball was going a little left of my intended line so I figured I’d be in the left bunker. But when I got to the green, the ball was maybe 10 feet beyond the bunker. On that line there was no way that the ball went through the bunker and no evidence in the bunker. I didn’t find a ball mark, so I concluded it hit the fringe and rolled out maybe 5-6 feet.

This is the 4th or 5th time in two full rounds I’ve hit a shot like that. I can’t remember pulling off a similar shot with 5 iron or hybrid more than twice all year with other clubs. So - yeah, you could say I’m getting along well with it :)

Awesome!!!!!

Decent day with the HM's. They seem to be holding greens well enough. Had a couple shots with the PW today that hopped and stopped on approaches.

Another decent day with the HMP’s. Had two shots check up and back up too. One was a 7 iron the other was with the PW. Always fun to see that.

Although I'm pretty happy with my Apex Smoke combo set, I'm a Mizuno lover and have the itch to get out and hit the HM Pro's. Played the 900 Forged most of last year.....

Although I'm pretty happy with my Apex Smoke combo set, I'm a Mizuno lover and have the itch to get out and hit the HM Pro's. Played the 900 Forged most of last year.....
*cough* J.B.Cobb III *cough*

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

I went from standard apex 19s to the HMP and do not regret it one bit. HMPs looks better and feel soft as butter. The standard Apex were a little clicky.

I've had an interesting turn of events with my Hot Metals lately. From the beginning, I've liked the 7-9, and have absolutely loved the 6-iron and the sand wedge. All of that still holds true. However, it's been frustrating with the PW and gap. While I've regained my lost distances with all the other clubs, for some reason that wasn't happening with those 2. That said, for the last 2 weeks, they've come around and I'm seeing the same distance (re)gains with them, too. I have no explanation for the initial results, nor the new ones. It's just nice to have positive results from all the clubs in my set.

I've had an interesting turn of events with my Hot Metals lately. From the beginning, I've liked the 7-9, and have absolutely loved the 6-iron and the sand wedge. All of that still holds true. However, it's been frustrating with the PW and gap. While I've regained my lost distances with all the other clubs, for some reason that wasn't happening with those 2. That said, for the last 2 weeks, they've come around and I'm seeing the same distance (re)gains with them, too. I have no explanation for the initial results, nor the new ones. It's just nice to have positive results from all the clubs in my set.

Good stuff Rebel4life. I noticed this early on but haven't lately. Just put a nice smooth swing on it and they just go.

Hit the HMP this week. Very nice. Not sure I would gain anything by moving to them but they felt really good and preformed really well. Short list for when I decide to buy new irons.

I need to hit these again. I think it's time to move on from my Apex's.

If I did not just purchase new irons this year I would probably end up with these or the Apex’s in my bag

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was amazed yesterday. I wanted to buy a set of 919s custom and the company said (I’m paraphrasing): we cant build that exact set but we can offer you the deal of “full price” on anything stock! Let us know when you want to buy!

Yikes.

Hit the HMP this week. Very nice. Not sure I would gain anything by moving to them but they felt really good and preformed really well. Short list for when I decide to buy new irons.
Not related, LOVE the Blazing Saddles reference in the name.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Had some fun with Hot Metal Pros today on the sim. One of the best sounding irons of the year IMO.

Favourite setup is probably PX 6.5 which was launching between 110-125 feet, carrying 183-189, with great spin numbers on Trackman. Laser beam straight too.

....... seven iron lulz

I really enjoyed the head combined with the Nippon Modus3 Tour 105s

Hit some pretty solid shots and the feel of these are fantastic I could see myself gaming these

Had some fun with Hot Metal Pros today on the sim. One of the best sounding irons of the year IMO.

Favourite setup is probably PX 6.5 which was launching between 110-125 feet, carrying 183-189, with great spin numbers on Trackman. Laser beam straight too.

....... seven iron lulz

That’s real strong. HMP your favorite of the bunch?

I was amazed yesterday. I wanted to buy a set of 919s custom and the company said (I’m paraphrasing): we cant build that exact set but we can offer you the deal of “full price” on anything stock! Let us know when you want to buy!

Yikes.

What type of set makeup are you looking for?

Back