Rockets indeed! Played 9 holes at my course on Wednesday for the first time with my new sticks. We have a relatively short par 5 on the front and my drive always goes right. My punch out was into the left rough a little further than my target. The pin was in the middle right of the green and I was about 160 out. Grabbed my 9 iron which is typically 150 total thinking I would let it hit and roll up towards the stick. Nope, the ball hit right next to the cup on the fly and rolled out about 10 feet :oops: The distance I am getting on these with good strikes is very impressive and I do not have to swing out of my "squeaky" Jordans!

out of the rough it stopped within 10'??? nice!

out of the rough it stopped within 10'??? nice!
Higher launch out of the rough and landing soft has been my experience as well. But I’ve flown at least 4 greens while trying to dial lol

HOT-METAL.pngHOT-METAL.png

I, literally, registered for this board because of the discussion for this iron release and the Victory Cup. I've lurked here for a while but this is the one that got me to register and get in the discussion.

My first clubs ever were a set of Mizuno Silver Cup blades in 1986 when I was 13, so I have been a lifetime Mizuno honk. Currently bag the JPX 850 Forged and I love them but am seriously considering new Mizunos for next season. Had my mind set on looking at the Pro 223 and JPX 923 Forged but all this praise for the 923 HMPs have those on my list now. I am not as concerned about distance as I am about feel and gapping, knowing exactly how far that ball will go each and every time. I hate the random flier that ends up over the green.

Looking forward to following this.

I, literally, registered for this board because of the discussion for this iron release and the Victory Cup. I've lurked here for a while but this is the one that got me to register and get in the discussion.

My first clubs ever were a set of Mizuno Silver Cup blades in 1986 when I was 13, so I have been a lifetime Mizuno honk. Currently bag the JPX 850 Forged and I love them but am seriously considering new Mizunos for next season. Had my mind set on looking at the Pro 223 and JPX 923 Forged but all this praise for the 923 HMPs have those on my list now. I am not as concerned about distance as I am about feel and gapping, knowing exactly how far that ball will go each and every time. I hate the random flier that ends up over the green.

Looking forward to following this.
First off welcome to THP! These are my first set of MIzuno's and I see why you are a lifetime Mizuno guy. They are just so easy and fun to hit. Plus the sound coming off the face when I make center contact is sweet music to my ears. Definitely get some numbers on the HMPs vs Forged vs your current set. I am okay with the random filer that ends up over the green. There are so many factors that can go into the reason for this happening that I can and cannot control.

I remember being impressed on the last version of HMP, but not like with these. I didn't expect them to look or feel quite as good as they did for how much they offer. And my spin numbers where pretty decent. Not always easy to get that with me. I really look forward to more people giving them a chance this time around and falling in love.

And for the price? Just 🤯

I remember being impressed on the last version of HMP, but not like with these. I didn't expect them to look or feel quite as good as they did for how much they offer. And my spin numbers where pretty decent. Not always easy to get that with me. I really look forward to more people giving them a chance this time around and falling in love.

there's a reason hmp is such a great seller for mizuno. but it's still kind of under the radar for how good it is. every guy at our event raved about their irons!

It is funny you mentioned the price. I just received an email from Carl's about the new lineup from Mizuno and it had the price for each version of the HM lineup. I too was in shock at the price. I thought it had to be a misprint.

It is funny you mentioned the price. I just received an email from Carl's about the new lineup from Mizuno and it had the price for each version of the HM lineup. I too was in shock at the price. I thought it had to be a misprint.
Cause it's ridiculous! It's coming back to me how many times I mentioned them to people last time too, partly because of that. What you get for a pretty budget price is crazy. And I just wasn't expecting them to feel that good. I was hitting a pretty firm ball too.

The price is absolutely a shock. In a year or two where other OEMs are jacking up the price - Mizuno is definitely pricing a heck of a lot of technology for an extremely reasonable price

Love the info @That post.

Played the JPX900 HM & I'm currently gaming the 921 HMP's and the 923's are on the hit list ASAP. I love the looks of the MP series but I'm just not a good enough ball striker so the HMP's and the forgiveness fit's me perfectly. Can't wait to give the 923's a try.

Last edited:
I was fortunate enough to try these at a local spot - so some tings happened earlier today!

It was awesome to hear firsthand from Vosh and Walker at Mizuno how excited they are about this launch. They really believe there is an iron in this range that can fit every player. The Hot Metal HL are irons that tons of golfers should play. They will love the higher launch while still being in a good looking iron. They said that they really pushed the envelope on this entire line in terms of ball speed. From talking with our guys who got the HM Pros, they are absolutely seeing that ballspeed gain. However, they are still holding greens really well with playable characteristics. If you need video confirmation, look at @Deebo76 s shot into 17 at Sawgrass. The back of that green is FIRM, and his ball landed like a feather with an 8 iron.

I took a few swings at the range with @That post s HM Pro 7 iron, and I absolutely loved them. They look great over the ball, had a great ball flight, but the surprising thing to me was how good they sounded/felt. If I was blindfolded I 100% would have guessed I was hitting a forged iron.

I cannot wait to hit the Forged when they come out and see if they can unseat my 2 (yes I have 2) sets of Mizuno irons. I can tell you I have high hopes for them.

I was fortunate enough to try these at a local spot - so some tings happened earlier today!
You put in an order for HMPs????

not sure how much of it we're able to share, but we saw a presentation about the 923 line pre-release, and let's just say the extent to which mizuno was able to expand the sweet spot of this lineup over the 921 range was astounding. all of this while improving sound/feel is awesome!

not sure how much of it we're able to share, but we saw a presentation about the 923 line pre-release, and let's just say the extent to which mizuno was able to expand the sweet spot of this lineup over the 921 range was astounding. all of this while improving sound/feel is awesome!
You can't share graphics, but can share information.

It was awesome to hear firsthand from Vosh and Walker at Mizuno how excited they are about this launch. They really believe there is an iron in this range that can fit every player. The Hot Metal HL are irons that tons of golfers should play. They will love the higher launch while still being in a good looking iron. They said that they really pushed the envelope on this entire line in terms of ball speed. From talking with our guys who got the HM Pros, they are absolutely seeing that ballspeed gain. However, they are still holding greens really well with playable characteristics. If you need video confirmation, look at @Deebo76 s shot into 17 at Sawgrass. The back of that green is FIRM, and his ball landed like a feather with an 8 iron.

I took a few swings at the range with @That post s HM Pro 7 iron, and I absolutely loved them. They look great over the ball, had a great ball flight, but the surprising thing to me was how good they sounded/felt. If I was blindfolded I 100% would have guessed I was hitting a forged iron.

I cannot wait to hit the Forged when they come out and see if they can unseat my 2 (yes I have 2) sets of Mizuno irons. I can tell you I have high hopes for them.

The Hot Metal HL certainly surprised me. I got to hit the Hot Metal and Hot Metal HL side by side and the HL actually performed better for me. Better carry distance, better spin, better peak height. I was expecting the height to increase, but I was surprised to see a longer carry. I assumed I would go with the Hot Metals, but I may end up with the Hot Metal HL instead.

I figured the HL would have too much offset, look huge, and wouldn't feel as good as my current HM's. The offset isn't that noticeable unless comparing side by side, but more importantly, I wasn't hitting left. Dispersion honestly didn't change much from the HM's and may have even been a bit tighter. I also feel like Mizuno does a really good job of making the clubhead look smaller at address than it really is. In regards to feel, they actually felt a little better than the HM's to me.

I'm going to hit them again and hit them more this time and see if I get the same results. I will say I'm disappointed that there's no 4 iron in the HL. I don't hit my current 4 iron that well, but it's better than my hybrid. Maybe I'll look into the Fli-Hi 4 iron if I go with the HL's.

Great article. Was planning on a fitting in the next few weeks looking especially to try the 921HMs. Will most fitters have the 923s already to test???

I just got done getting numbers….

My body is exhausted. I probably put 150 swings in and played 9 beforehand.

It’s going to take a little bit of time to edit down these videos and put some words together but I’ll have something out tonight.

Do the 923 HMPs feel softer than the 921's? Alway thought the 921's felt a bit harsh...

Do the 923 HMPs feel softer than the 921's? Alway thought the 921's felt a bit harsh...
Unfortunately, I have not hit the 921s however I can tell you the 923 HMPs do not feel harsh at all.

I have no experience with a 921s but I can say 923s feel like butter absolutely nothing harsh about them.

Back