Mizuno (lack of) customer service

Sooner21

I miss football
Reaction score
Handicap
I'm typically not a complainer, but thought I would post my recent problems with Mizuno because they seem to not want to stand behind their product one bit. A few months ago I ordered Hot Metal Pros. When they showed up the swingweights were random and ranged from C5-C9, but in no particular order. Budget Golf was great, and took care of the return after I documented the variance. A few weeks ago I had a fitting with a full Mizuno cart, and ended up in the 919 Forged with my specs , grips, and swingweights specified. Again, they came in far off, and with the wrong grips - a different brand completely. The 9-iron is actually 3 points heavier than the PW in this set. I also ordered S18 54* and 58* wedges built to the same specs as my irons. The irons came in a day before my wedges, so I called to ask about the grips and swingweights. I was told to go to someone with a Mizuno account and have them shipped back for an inspection. When the wedges showed up the next day the 54* was bent like crazy, and looks like it has 1/2" of offset. I'm guessing due to the slight lie adjustment. In the picture below the 54* is on the right. I sent this over to Mizuno customer service (I've been dealing with their supervisor named Chris this whole time), and he told me the higher lofted wedges will have more offset and it looks normal to him. I then asked him to read the email again - the wedge that's bent isn't the 58* - it's the 54*. His response was that it looks normal to him, and I can go to someone with a Mizuno account and have them mail back the wedge for an inspection. This has been a long couple of months dealing with a company that is supposed to have a top notch product with tight specs. These were all custom orders that haven't come as ordered. I've now been waiting most of the summer to get clubs, and they're fighting me instead of taking any responsibility at all. I hope Chris Voshall, or someone from Mizuno that actually stands behind their product reads this. If this is how they're standing behind their product I'll never order another Mizuno club, and strongly suggest anyone else think twice before plunking down money also.

Attachments

• photo36438.jpg
    photo36438.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 2
That's pretty bad. I hope for your sake that someone with some say reads this as well. If CS isn't helping, taking it to a public forum is usually a good way to get some attention. Good luck!

gotta ask, what response were you hoping for from Mizuno given they've not personally seen your set in person?

Post your issue to their social media accounts. I'll bet they bend over backwards to may it right and make you happy.

Quality control is in short supply it seems this year and even a Company like Mizuno that does not move a ton of product seems to be slipping. I have to say the set I got from them last year was spot on perfect and it was ordered .50" over standard length and was a blended set or irons and wedges with midsize grips and they hit the D2 SW on every club.

Why don't you let the estiblishment that did the fitting handle all the back and forth for ya? Did you purchase from the place you did the fitting?

If the club on the left in the photo is a 58*, the one on the right looks like a 60*. Something doesn't seem right. I have dealt with Chris several times and he has always been very helpful. I am surprised you are having trouble with him. I can't see why he can't see the difference; it is very apparent.

Alez367;n8890765 said:
gotta ask, what response were you hoping for from Mizuno given they've not personally seen your set in person?

I was hoping they'd say "yeah - that doesn't look right. Send it back and a new one is on the way."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nate;n8890814 said:
Why don't you let the estiblishment that did the fitting handle all the back and forth for ya? Did you purchase from the place you did the fitting?

It's over an hour away from me. I drove there because they have a fitting cart.

Nate;n8890814 said:

I did purchase through the club.

I am actually pretty surprised by these issues. I have played numerous sets of Mizuno irons and wedges and the specs were always spot on. No issues with my few dealing with their CS also. Sucks that you are experiencing these problems and hope you get everything resolved to your satisfaction.

Sooner21;n8890821 said:
I was hoping they'd say "yeah - that doesn't look right. Send it back and a new one is on the way."

fair enough. I admit it sucks but I'm sure they're just trying to CYA themselves against any potential fraud

Alez367;n8890836 said:
fair enough. I admit it sucks but I'm sure they're just trying to CYA themselves against any potential fraud

Agree, which is why having the club do the heavy work in getting it right would make sense. But I do understand that takes time and is frustrating to ultimately get right. Really wish a OEM would start offering heads only (wow, that really sounded dirty) for purchase (getting even more dirty) as an option.

Alez367;n8890836 said:

I'm not sure this is applicable. I was fitted for the clubs, they were purchased new, and they were shipped directly to my house from Mizuno. They have everything on file, and were able to pull it up while I was on the phone.

Last edited:
If you originally ordered these from Budget Golf, I would go back to them. If you don't want to do that, I would seek someone higher in the food chain at Mizuno.

That’s is unfortunate. It is frustrating and I think you have to continue to push the issue. I know that the club is involved too but you also have to be you own advocate. I am sure they will make it right, you just have to keep escalating until you get the resolution. I have bought a ton of Mizuno stuff and never had an issue, but I have seen recently that a couple of issues have popped up. Happens to the best of companies.

wedgeman;n8890956 said:
If you originally ordered these from Budget Golf, I would go back to them. If you don't want to do that, I would seek someone higher in the food chain at Mizuno.

The first messed up order was through Budget Golf, and they 100% took care of the return. This is the second iron set in the last couple of months I've custom ordered from Mizuno, because I thought the first messed up order was a fluke. It's Mizuno - they're one of the best at what they do I thought. I've ordered two custom sets of irons, and custom wedges through Mizuno in the last couple of months. All three orders have been messed up. I've liked all the Mizuno clubs I've played in the past, so want to give them the opportunity to fix this. They're not only pushing back on this issue, but completely contradicting themselves in the email about the bent wedge and which one should have "offset". Believe me - in person the wedge doesn't have offset. It's bent. I've been playing golf for a long time, and have never picked up a wedge that looks like this.

Mizuno is one of the best in the industry for build quality. That said, they build to a tolerance. Expecting perfection from an OEM is not realistic. Go to a guy like Ben @ The Tour Van if you want perfection. For the wedges, Mizuno takes a 56° and bends it 2° strong (to 54°) which adds offset.

You can see in the picture that something is not correct with the wedge on the left. That being said, unless you send it back to them they can't inspect it.
I have Hot Metals that I was fitted for and had no issues at all. Swing weights and loft and lies where correct across the set. This wedge slipped thru somehow.
You need to take it back to where you where fitted and they should be able to handle it and make it right.

Sooner21;n8890854 said:
I'm not sure this is applicable. I was fitted for the clubs, they were purchased new, and they were shipped directly to my house from Mizuno. They have everything on file, and were able to pull it up while I was on the phone.

Correct I get that but using those same facts, mizuno has your specs written down as correct in their system and you’re now telling them during transit they’ve changed. I’m not saying your wrong, in fact I think you are owed a lot more than just an apology considering it’s not the first time with this custom order you’ve had problems.

noodle3872;n8891107 said:
Mizuno is one of the best in the industry for build quality. That said, they build to a tolerance. Expecting perfection from an OEM is not realistic. Go to a guy like Ben @ The Tour Van if you want perfection. For the wedges, Mizuno takes a 56° and bends it 2° strong (to 54°) which adds offset.

I understand what you're saying, but going on your theory both wedges should have a lot of offset then. The 58* in the picture would've been bent from 60* and have the same unnatural bend that the 54* has. This isn't the case...

Sooner21;n8891271 said:
I understand what you're saying, but going on your theory both wedges should have a lot of offset then. The 58* in the picture would've been bent from 60* and have the same unnatural bend that the 54* has. This isn't the case...

Depends on the bounce of wedges; bend weak (less offset and bounce) or strong (more offset and bounce).

I had to take the wedge into Golf Galaxy so something would actually get started, even though I ordered them through a country club. I didn't want to drive back there, because it's a 2 hour round trip. The manager at GG immediately saw something was wrong and said they'll handle the return/repair with Mizuno, since they seem to not want to take responsibility. I've emailed Chris at Mizuno again to see what happens now, and ask when I would actually have a non-defective wedge to play. Awaiting a response - wondering what excuse I'll hear this time.

That's good that the GG stepped up and is helping you out. Interesting to see what happens.

Back