Mizuno MP-20 Irons

TBD, it’s going to be a hell of a fight this week when I’m playing 54 a day Wed-Fri.

Interesting evaluation, how are you going to rotate the irons over the 3 days ....looking forward to seeing which set wins out, both on my radar.

I just shot my lowest 9 holes ever. These things are legit. The fact that I have to keep a smooth temp really helps.
31BD805E-BFDA-4FCC-82DE-EFA5D1B988CE.jpegE0DE064A-DE2A-4FAE-A79C-F9678337D7B3.jpeg

Gave the MP20 line a waggle in store. Going in the MMC was basically an afterthought but after holding them in hand it became my favorite of the 3. Not sure if I'll ever get the chance to actually hit them, but I'm not in the market anyways.

Anyone have any experience playing or comparing the Apex CF19's to the MP-20 HMB? I've been playing the CF19's for a while and really like them, but since I can't stop tinkering with my bag, I'm always looking for something better.

I'm headed to Las Vegas next week and there is a Club Champion there, so I could get a fitting for the HMB, but don't want to jump the gun if there is no prospect of improving my performance.

I haven't had a fitting in a few years so this would be a good time to get that done. Anything I should compare the HMB to besides my CF19's?

Anyone have any experience playing or comparing the Apex CF19's to the MP-20 HMB? I've been playing the CF19's for a while and really like them, but since I can't stop tinkering with my bag, I'm always looking for something better.

I'm headed to Las Vegas next week and there is a Club Champion there, so I could get a fitting for the HMB, but don't want to jump the gun if there is no prospect of improving my performance.

I haven't had a fitting in a few years so this would be a good time to get that done. Anything I should compare the HMB to besides my CF19's?

@Jman has both sets and has spoken in depth of his love for the Apex CF 19 and Apex Pro CF 19 blended set. I have seen him hit those irons beautifully. he now has the HMBs and posted within the last 24 hours that he is going to be giving them a good workout over the next several days. I would stay tuned to this thread and you might get exactly the information you are seeking.

@Jman has both sets and has spoken in depth of his love for the Apex CF 19 and Apex Pro CF 19 blended set. I have seen him hit those irons beautifully. he now has the HMBs and posted within the last 24 hours that he is going to be giving them a good workout over the next several days. I would stay tuned to this thread and you might get exactly the information you are seeking.
I talk golf things from time to time.

I talk golf things from time to time.

Hard to see how you find the time for talk playing 54 holes a day. If I played that much, I might need hospital care.

Based on my 7i mashing of the two, I would have hard time picking between Apex 19 and HMB. Feels like a win or win situation to me.

I have both sets. I have gone back to the Apex 19s for right now. Enjoy both sets quite a bit though.

I am going to make a prediction of what @Jman’s ultimate conclusions will be regarding a battle for the bag between the current champion, the Callaway Apex/Apex Pro CF 19 combo set, and the challenger, the Mizuno MP 20 HMBs. I believe he will find that the Callaway peak numbers are slightly better through the set, but that the HMBs are more than acceptable. I also believe that he will find the HMBs to be more consistent, but just barely so. I think he will conclude that the HMBs feel and sound better. The HMBs are also slightly better looking (that is my conclusion). In the end, the HMBs are going to find their way into his bag. We will see if I am correct.

I am going to make a prediction of what @Jman’s ultimate conclusions will be regarding a battle for the bag between the current champion, the Callaway Apex/Apex Pro CF 19 combo set, and the challenger, the Mizuno MP 20 HMBs. I believe he will find that the Callaway peak numbers are slightly better through the set, but that the HMBs are more than acceptable. I also believe that he will find the HMBs to be more consistent, but just barely so. I think he will conclude that the HMBs feel and sound better. The HMBs are also slightly better looking (that is my conclusion). In the end, the HMBs are going to find their way into his bag. We will see if I am correct.

I read this as the HMBs are way newer :ROFLMAO:

I have both sets. I have gone back to the Apex 19s for right now. Enjoy both sets quite a bit though.

Why have the 19s prevailed at this juncture?

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Why have the 19s prevailed at this juncture?

More forgiving low on the face, which is a miss I struggle with. Higher flight for me.

More forgiving low on the face, which is a miss I struggle with. Higher flight for me.

I want to add to this. I haven't played a round with HMB though. This is purely some range time with both sets.

My HMB from Budget arrived today...YES.

I'm out of state...NOOO!

That was quick!

Last edited:

When you rotate between sets do u have the same shaft in both? I always try selling my old set as soon as I get a new one. Pondering picking up a set of hmb’s with modus 120’s & still keep my p760’s with true temper amt tour white shafts? Not sure how rotating between sets with different shafts will mess with my head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When you rotate between sets do u have the same shaft in both? I always try selling my old set as soon as I get a new one. Pondering picking up a set of hmb’s with modus 120’s & still keep my p760’s with true temper amt tour white shafts? Not sure how rotating between sets with different shafts will mess with my head

Yes UST Recoil Proto 95s in both.

Cool, kinda what I figured & makes the most sense

I just spent some time with the MP-20 MMC 7i and compared direclty to my MP-18 MMC. I hit about 25 balls each. I have Modus 3 105 and the MP-20 had Modus 3 120. Outside on grass with a little background wind. I could not tell a difference between the heads in this situation. Sound was the same. Feel and outcomes from lower and toey strikes was similar. Previously I thought the MP-20 MMC had a softer feel and sound. Distances looked very similar as well. I maybe hit the MP-20 a touch lower but that could easily be shaft or just some slightly different strikes. Both were +1/2 shafts with 2 up heads. The Modus 3 120 was a stiff flex. My 105 shaft is stiff hard stepped and very slightly tipped, I believe. Just one more data point. I might try to grab the HMB later this week.

Also awaiting JMans thoughts here. I bought the 19 Apex Pros largely on his thoughts and have not been disappointed. Crushed my lowest 9 hole score and tied my lowest 18 twice with the Apex Pros. I'm Jones'in a little to get back to a Mizuno look/feel, but I won't jump ship easily. It is even more tempting though, now that Mizy has the $Tapers as an option.

I say the final question is this: Apex combos or HMBs - Gun to his head....he has to shoot the best round of his life to survive.....what irons does he game?

My HMB from Budget arrived today...YES. I'm out of state...NOOO.!

That was quick!

Awesome! My order was officially placed with Budget on Monday. How long was the wait?

Finally got to see these in person yesterday, amazing looking irons.

Awesome! My order was officially placed with Budget on Monday. How long was the wait?
6 days, but it was only one iron...so far

6 days, but it was only one iron...so far
Oooh, I hope they don't ship them one iron at a time. That'd be weird.:unsure:

Back