Mizuno MP-20 Irons

wubears71;n8902558 said:
You have the game to play them. I would have loved to hear your feedback.

I would have probably gone all HMB if it was offered in lefty but I’ll take the SEL set.

I can do that for him....

”They’re MB’s, and they play like MB’s”

hahhaa

Jman;n8902579 said:

hahhaa

Haha.

i was just curious because some of the reviews I’ve seen so far is that the MP20 is actually surprisingly forgiving on mis hits. You definitely get the feedback of a mis hit but the results aren’t as bad as one would expect. Of course, that may just be Mizuno fanboy review propaganda. I’m honestly not sure how that can be done in a blade.

wubears71;n8902558 said:
You have the game to play them. I would have loved to hear your feedback.

I would have probably gone all HMB if it was offered in lefty but I’ll take the SEL set.

hahhaa

I'm excited to hear more about the HMB's. That's the first hollow body iron I've really had much interest in.

Canadan;n8902522 said:
They are demo heads from my golf course. I’ll share thoughts soon!

Awesome, can't wait! Cheers Dan.

These look awesome and I'm certain they are nice, but I doubt I pay more than $999 for a set of irons. To many options available and I don't think anyone is making junk at this point.

hedley_lamarr08;n8902717 said:
These look awesome and I'm certain they are nice, but I doubt I pay more than $999 for a set of irons. To many options available and I don't think anyone is making junk at this point.

Makes sense and yeah, so much good equipment to choose from these days.

DNice26;n8902718 said:
Makes sense and yeah, so much good equipment to choose from these days.

Not trying to hijack a thread or anything, but I'm glad some guys at least agree with me. The game improvement irons have went to nearly a grand and I'm hard pressed to see huge gains every year or two. Maybe every 5 years. With that being said, the HMB does look like it would really play well through the bag.

Hit a demo HMB today at a local GG since I was in scoring some balls and really liked it. Even in their dimly lit simulator with the rock hard Maxfli balls, the club felt great. Going in for a formal fitting at my friends shop tomorrow and will most likely have him order me a 5-PW and keep my current 919F set as a spare. They definitely are going to be a hot seller for Mizuno.

Canadan I’m excited to hear your thoughts on these. I need to find a shop with them.

I sort of just want to order a set of HMB's and then sell some **** off.

I got rained and lightened out of my weekend round, so I went into the local PGA Golf Superstore and hit the MP 20 HMB. I hit it with both $ Taper 120 and C Taper Lite. Wow, this iron is SOOOOO good. It feels incredible and the ball speed is tremendous, given that it is not quite as strongly lofted as some of the other hollow body irons, like P790, i500, etc. And the looks... wow!

If I were ordering some irons today, no doubt, these would be my choice. I think Mizuno has a real winner here.

Still waiting to see this in hand. I really, really want to do some sort of combo set. The photos look so good.

dragging my feet a bit mostly because I played 36 today and this morning at 7:30 feels like a month ago.

Later in the week I'll get out there and get the heads in the same shaft to give a nice comparison. Really all I wanted to do this morning was hit HMB which was made pretty clear after I started ripping 7 irons and showing no real interest in spending time with either of the other two heads before my round.

What i wanted to do most, was see what kind of sound profile the HMB have. With all the hollow body options available today, getting one with a 'perfect' sound profile is basically my unicorn. I know I am capable of playing MBs, I've played them on and off all year with the Bridgestone Tour B's, and I just don't see enough benefit outside of pure control and sound to play that style of iron, whether I am capable or not.

I had the DG 105's in there which is probably one of the more reasonable options my club offers in their demo cart. I'd kill for them to have a Tour V shaft, but it's probably not happening. It launched plenty high, and went mostly straight although I didn't make any attempt to work the ball (because I genuinely don't care about working a ball with an iron). Shot after shot, straight ripped, great sound, close enough to that MB/CB sound I'm chasing. I also really liked the weight profile with the 105's in there. Made a lot of sense to my brain during the swing, promoted good timing.

Like I said, I'll spend more time later in the week with the three different heads to take full stock of what I perceive to be the difference in the options, and will bring it back here. One this is for sure though, I could see a LOT of low'ish caps thriving on the MMC or HMB iron head. It's very well done.

When I was hitting the HMB 7 iron today, I was focusing on two things. First was the sound/feel, because I know that this is a hang up for many when considering this profile. I haven’t hit any hollowback iron that felt /sounded as good as these, at least that is my impression without being able to hit various options side by side. Second, I wanted to focus on dispersion, both right left and front to back. These irons really were exceptional. Low on the face gave up almost nothing. A very high percentage of my shots fell within a front to back window of 5 yards. This is probably what most got my attention.

Last edited:
Canadan;n8903403 said:
HMB.

Over and over in my head.

I need to be a part of it.

Since you’re now the king of Hawkponders, you jump and I will too.

Truth be known, If its an option at the True Temper event.......something would have to be Damn Awesome to sway me away from them

Canadan;n8903436 said:
Madness. I bought something recently. Two things actually...

...and I only regret one of them lmao

C'moooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooon

Hit all the MP-20's today and decided to pick up the HMB in 5-PW, which I kind of already knew. The Optimizer had suggested - as it always does - to go with something like a PX 6.5, C-Taper X, or DG X100, but I stayed with the trusty Modus 120 in S. Awesome feeling and launched about 1° higher than the 919F. Carry was pretty similar as well, maybe a yard or two more, and spin was comparable. Great sound also - the Mizuno 'crack' - would never know they were a hollow head. Totally do not need new irons, but they felt so nice and will go great with a CLK 4H and an S18 51° wedge in my stash. Will definitely keep the 919's as a spare set.

The regular MP-20 felt nice as well, but no desire to play them since I prefer the forgiveness of the HMB. The HMB and MP also looked similar side by side - not a ton of difference to make a blended set look weird. Didn't really dig the MMC either, but wasn't a fan of the previous version either. Should have the new ones in a couple weeks and can't wait to get them on grass.

Last edited:
Canadan;n8903403 said:
HMB.

Over and over in my head.

I need to be a part of it.

Understanding that you only hit the 7 iron and so probably have limited perspective, which head do you prefer, the MP-20 HMB or the Hot Metal Pros, strictly in terms of ball performance, not look or feel? Also, how would you contrast them with respect to flight, forgiveness, ball speed, etc?

Love the looks of these and the HMB is calling me but holy moly are these expensive. $1899 here in Canada, compared to the $1399 the MP18 were at. Seems irons have taken a leap in price point this season.

Tenputt;n8903876 said:
Understanding that you only hit the 7 iron and so probably have limited perspective, which head do you prefer, the MP-20 HMB or the Hot Metal Pros, strictly in terms of ball performance, not look or feel? Also, how would you contrast them with respect to flight, forgiveness, ball speed, etc?

In my extremely limited experience, I could see myself playing HMB long term. I don't think I ever got around thinking I could play HMP for a long time. Maybe a long iron.

These HMBs are looking perfect. Little offset and a MB look - man what is not to like here?!? My next set will likely come from these or the TM 790s V2.

Back