Mizuno MP-20 Irons

Thoughts on the mbs vs jpx 919 tour? Hit both and the accuracy of the 919s was crazy.

Sent from my VOG-L09 using Tapatalk

The MBs are shorter heel to toe, less sole width, and are shiny. Marginally less offset but pretty inconsequential.

The JPX are satin. The 919 Tours felt more forgiving to me but my mp20 set is being rebuilt so more info later.

I would describe it like this, I'm hesitant to play the blade in the 5 iron and play a 919 tour in a 4 iron.

I was fitted for HMBs this past weekend! So excited for them to get here - honestly did not expect to be fit into Mizunos, but hit them fantastic. Great feel especially coming from Callaway Rogues. I was surprised how well I hit them as I'm a fairly high handicap (15 handicap). Just loved the look of the iron and at address!

Picked up my HMB 2 iron earlier this week and its warming up!!! I had the MP18 FliHi 2 iron before so my initial thoughts

Feel - Couldn't really feel a difference so far, although toe strikes may feel a touch nicer

Looks - I personally think the HMB is a big winner here, the blend from top line to the trailing edge of the club doesn't make it look so bulky

Performance - Hard to tell so far as its only been Top Tracer range time but I like the HMB a little better as it seems to launch a bit lower and hit very consistent carries

I will update as I get more range and course time

Finally got a break in the rain long enough to get the MB’s out on the course for four holes. Struck the ball much better after a few days of rest. Still loving the feel. What has most impressed me is the consistency from top to bottom of the club face. From a pure struck shot and thinned was within 3 yards.
The DGS300s are performing fantastic as well. So far so good. First 4 holes and two birdies. :cool:

2E5EE085-89BA-45DD-8C48-EF847791487A.jpeg

Picked up my HMB 2 iron earlier this week and its warming up!!! I had the MP18 FliHi 2 iron before so my initial thoughts

Feel - Couldn't really feel a difference so far, although toe strikes may feel a touch nicer

Looks - I personally think the HMB is a big winner here, the blend from top line to the trailing edge of the club doesn't make it look so bulky

Performance - Hard to tell so far as its only been Top Tracer range time but I like the HMB a little better as it seems to launch a bit lower and hit very consistent carries

I will update as I get more range and course time
One of these days I'll get mine out too. The lower flight would be good.

Setting up next to my gamer this thing needs to go on a diet, but performance counts...verdict still out.

Got my first range session in with these today. Of course the range is off mats so won’t have too much on turf interaction until I get them on the course. What stood out the most for me today was the distance control. Well struck shots were all within a couple yards of each other. Really nice to see that kind of consistency. Ball feels so great off the face, loving the move to forged

Got my new HMBs two days ago, 3-PW. Modus Tour 120g shafts. My MP-69's are snot-nosed brats compared to the HMB's! Well maybe not that bad, but the HMB's are probably the most beautiful clubs I've had since my MP-9's and toe hits are not as punishing. While I play a lot of sets (mostly blades), my "primary" set was Ping G30's with graphite shafts. The HMB lofts are weaker....check. I have to hit a 6 iron vs. a 7 iron...check. But what I like is the HMB's are standard length so the HMB 5 iron is not really a 3.5 iron in length. Basically "No BS" clubs...you play...they play. The weight requires getting used to vs. the Ping graphite lightweights, but I like the "sledgehammer" feel. Plus, OMG...I can actually WORK the ball again!

The best part is the flight. The HMB's hit penetrating shots vs a more "floaty" shot by the Pings. Now I'm not dissing the Ping's because they are excellent clubs, but the HMB's just feel more like I'm "playing golf" if that makes sense.

And BTW....THE BEST LOOKING CLUBS SINCE I CAN REMEMBER!!!!!

Last edited:
The MMCs are really intriguing. Anyone have an opinion on whether or not these may be too large of a leap for someone coming from Ping i200s? Was testing the JPX 919 Forged yesterday and hit them well. Would a 12ish handicapper be biting off more than he can chew with the MMCs and perhaps stay in his lane? Or are they fairly user friendly.

My friend played the MP25s for years and I hit his clubs all the time and had no problem striking the ball. Any comparisons?

Update with the MP-20 SELs: went to the range yesterday and these were an absolute pleasure to hit and feel. Know I can really see the Mizuno slogan is real, as they felt like pure butter when flushed. Surprisingly, even the 5 iron blade was VERY easy to hit, with my stock draw and went super high as well. I

kinda wish the 3 and 4 were MBs as well but can't complain at all : ), I just had some slight overdraws with the HMBs Long irons, but I could get used to it with some time.

The MP-20s have fantastic Turf Interaction. They really cut through the turf with such ease, it actually helped me in regards to a wrist injury problem I have. When I go to the range and hits tons of balls, I usually get my problematic wrist into sharp pain, but with these, NOTHING! I can only attribute that to the way they glide and cut the grass, vs my previous irons with bigger soles (T200s).

Today was a dream for me, so glad I joined the mizuno family and will gladly stay here forever!

such fun clubs to hit. A pured blade shot is so addicting with this. The mmc is pretty good too.

the yardage with these are super consistent for me and no hot fliers that go 15+ yards past targeted yardage randomly.

The MMCs are really intriguing. Anyone have an opinion on whether or not these may be too large of a leap for someone coming from Ping i200s? Was testing the JPX 919 Forged yesterday and hit them well. Would a 12ish handicapper be biting off more than he can chew with the MMCs and perhaps stay in his lane? Or are they fairly user friendly.

My friend played the MP25s for years and I hit his clubs all the time and had no problem striking the ball. Any comparisons?

The only way you can tell if it works for you is to hit them in person. It all comes down to ball striking rather than handicap.

In my opinion if you hit the jpx forged well, you will hit the mmc well too.

I just went to tge MMC from i20's. Are they a little more demanding to hit? Sure, but not by much and I’ve found plenty of other positives to outweigh the small change in forgiveness.

Call me crazy but I bypassed excessive "store testing" or borrowing a demo club to hit on the range before I bought the HMB's. All too often, at least for me, how I hit clubs in the store or on the range rarely replicates course play. On the courses I play, many of the lies are sidehill, downhill or uphill. This is where the thinner top line of the HMBs comes into play because they are easier to align to the target. Next, the HMBs simply rip through the turf, so it's imperative to strike the ball first, then the ground because these irons won't skip along the grass. Plus, it's super easy to work the ball with the HMBs.....very much like my blades with less "penalty" on slightly off-center hits.

In these days of hybrid combo sets, the HMBs 3-PW set may be off-putting for some because they haven't hit a 3-4-5 iron in years, but the progressive technology makes the 3-4-5 irons easy to hit, equal to my hybrids, and it's nice to not be fussing with different looking hybrids. Plus, the HMB allows for working the ball instead of practically having to stand sideways to hit a fade with the hybrids. The TM P790's were in the running, excellent irons, but they were somehow kinda boring to me because everyone has a set and I prefer seeing the Mizuno logo. It's probably a mental throwback thing from my MP9, and MP XX days. Plus, nobody makes a better forged iron than Mizuno.

If you're coming out of a set of strong-lofted irons, just be ready to hit a 6 iron vs. a 7 iron, or a 9 vs. PW. I don't mind because every swing is the same, but some folks may get a little antsy. Plus, some stronger-lofted sets have longer shafts, so keep that in mind because the HMB irons might be shorter when making the transition.

I hit the MMCs today and they’re definitely above my pay grade.

I’ve been using the Mizuno cart at my club and the 919 Forged as a way to figure out what shafts I want in the i210s when I pull the trigger but along the way I realized that I was hitting the 919s beautifully so...

So I went in and got the MB's 2deg flat before my normal group round on Sunday and it's made a huge difference. I thought I was loving these before, but now I can't keep my hands off them. I am htting them about a half club shorter, but it should be expected with the more traditional lofts.

I let one of my playing partners hit a 4i off the tee on a short par 4, and he immediately handed it back and I said I didn't know that club could make that sound. Probably doesn't need saying but if you have a tendency to hit it off the toe, these are probably not the best fit. The forgiveness top to bottom is fantastic, heel to toe not so much.

So I went in and got the MB's 2deg flat before my normal group round on Sunday and it's made a huge difference. I thought I was loving these before, but now I can't keep my hands off them. I am htting them about a half club shorter, but it should be expected with the more traditional lofts.

I let one of my playing partners hit a 4i off the tee on a short par 4, and he immediately handed it back and I said I didn't know that club could make that sound. Probably doesn't need saying but if you have a tendency to hit it off the toe, these are probably not the best fit. The forgiveness top to bottom is fantastic, heel to toe not so much.
The HMBs are slightly more stable off the toe, but certainly not enough to warrant picking one set over the other. I was "this close" to picking the MBs but I thought I'd split the difference.

Funny story. I offered my buddy to try my HMB 4 iron on a par 3 over water. He just hit a good shot with his AP1 4 iron. He looked at the back of the club, said "hmmm, no cavity back", set up at address, then proceeded to top the shot straight into the water. Golf is so mental.

That was one heck of a weekend wasn't it?
15 sets of irons. 12 THPers. Director of Metal.
Every participant gets a new set.

Enjoy your new sticks.

That was one heck of a weekend wasn't it?
15 sets of irons. 12 THPers. Director of Metal.
Every participant gets a new set.

Enjoy your new sticks.

One for the record books for sure.

When reading about these new clubs I noticed, the MP-20'S MB, MMC and HMB all have solid club heads and little if any performance enhancements in the PW, 9 and 8 irons.

Is there any difference between these three different heads in the short irons/ Wedges?

Sent from my SM-G977U using Tapatalk

They were not supposed to ship till 11/8/2019.

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 6- the Might be iron are now in my Hands.

So far the Ball Flight and decent angles are perfect up to the 5 iron.

But I didn't receive the 4 Iron until today.

The 3 and 2 iron only work from the Tee box.

I have a P790 2 iron. Similar specs. Smaller head the the HMB 2 Iron.

But I find it more forgiving.

M2C.

But the looks and Feels are two thumbs up Mizuno.
28357f05615d07473d168e89a2bf96c8.jpg
2de2d2275e83980914ee43a95468e2ec.jpg

When reading about these new clubs I noticed, the MP-20'S MB, MMC and HMB all have solid club heads and little if any performance enhancements in the PW, 9 and 8 irons.

Is there any difference between these three different heads in the short irons/ Wedges?

Lots of info on the web spelling out the details of each set. The MGS article about their release is a great place to look as well.

Lots of info on the web spelling out the details of each set. The MGS article about their release is a great place to look as well.

You could see the one linked in the first post in this thread that has all of the information laid out about each set. Since we are on THP after all :)

You could see the one linked in the first post in this thread that has all of the information laid out about each set. Since we are on THP after all :)

That, too. Just figured it was too obvious to mention...like Google.

Back