Mizuno MP-R12 wedges

Minarets

Reaction score
Handicap
OMG, these are gorgeous.
these should come with DG spinner shafts as well

also, gallery on Mizuno's website
http://golf.mizunoeurope.com/media/mediacentre.php?c0=images&c1=wedges&c2=mp-r12

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

file.php

Those will be my next set of wedges.

Great looking wedge.

black nickel? yes please

Love the darker finish. What are the pros and cons of the more rounded sole?

I wish they would offer a 46* version.

Those will be my next set of wedges.
my thoughts exactly.
i had been toying with the idea of finally trying out some Vokeys, but these are it.

the new Nike's first caught my eye, then i thought id go Vokey, now i know i will go Mp-R12 in black nickle. that color shouldnt fade as much and with DG spinners? yes please.

my thoughts exactly.
i had been toying with the idea of finally trying out some Vokeys, but these are it.

the new Nike's first caught my eye, then i thought id go Vokey, now i know i will go Mp-R12 in black nickle. that color shouldnt fade as much and with DG spinners? yes please.

I have had the MP T11's for about a year or so and I just love them. I would probably go with the chrome/satin wedges as I just am use to them.

Since it came up 20 times in another thread, I have to ask,
Honest question. I liked Mizunos for their shape, that has changed quite a bit to my eye. What makes these different than Vokeys or Cleveland wedges?

I have had the MP T11's for about a year or so and I just love them. I would probably go with the chrome/satin wedges as I just am use to them.

how is the spin with the Mp-T11?

honestly, i have been scared over the years of mizuno's wedges as just not enough spin. i had the raw haze model from a few years ago then bought Scratch after really wanting some MP-R, but i just couldn't get them to spin as much as i wanted. loved the look and feel, but lacked spin, as did my raw haze.

i hadn't even hit a Mp-T11 and figured the DG Spinners were a stock offering to help with the lack of true spin from the head...but i was just guessing since i hadn't hit them. i have always love the feel of the mizuno wedges.

these look too good to me to ignore.

I have heard for years on other forums about lack of spin on Mizuno wedges, yet nobody has ever offered an ounce of proof. We testing Mizuno wedges against Vokeys, Clevelands and everything else and the spin was virtually identical. I believe Golf Digest did a similar test when the groove rule came out. Nothing more than forum myths in my opinion.

Honest question. I liked Mizunos for their shape, that has changed quite a bit to my eye. What makes these different than Vokeys or Cleveland wedges?

well, it all depends on if you fall in that "forged feel vs "i dont feel a difference in forged clubs" debate.
i for one, love how soft mizuno wedges have felt in the past.

from my limited experience, they don't spin as much as vokeys or cleveland wedges

I have heard for years on other forums about lack of spin on Mizuno wedges, yet nobody has ever offered an ounce of proof. We testing Mizuno wedges against Vokeys, Clevelands and everything else and the spin was virtually identical. I believe Golf Digest did a similar test when the groove rule came out. Nothing more than forum myths in my opinion.

it may be just that, however, i know my raw haze and mp-R did not spin for me as much as my scratch wedges. that said, i dont use my wedges on full shots, so maybe i am missing out on max potential. but i do not use my wedges like most. a max 3/4 swing...so mostly chipping and soft pitching. outside of that i choke down on a PW or GW.

from my limited experience, they don't spin as much as vokeys or cleveland wedges

I wont even get into the forged feel thing, because I find it kind of funny.
But Im curious in the dont spin as much thing. What is your limited experience? Launch monitor testing by THP and quite a few other places say otherwise. When we tested wedges, almost all with the full grooves showed the same amount of spin within a hundred or so RPMs.

Im curious what makes them spin less? Same grooves, almost same weight, very similar shape. The creation says otherwise and the numbers do too. So I am genuinely curious what makes them spin less in your opinion. Wedge spin is 90% technique in my opinion.

Its a good question. I bought the Mizuno's over the others due to the DG Spinner shaft and liked the idea that the the grooves are different between the higher lofts and the lower lofts. One is apparently better for full shots and the other for partial shots. I will be giving a good look at these, the Clevelands, and the Birdgestone J40's when it is time to upgrade.

Aesthetically, these look nothing like a Vokey. They look like Mizuno's. In fact, I like these much more than the MP T11's. I went with the Mizunos for one reason: the shaft.

Those look amazing!

Sweet looking clubs. There's a lot of new wedges coming out late this year. Looks like it's time to re-load and a lot of fun testing.

But Im curious in the dont spin as much thing. What is your limited experience? Launch monitor testing by THP and quite a few other places say otherwise. When we tested wedges, almost all with the full grooves showed the same amount of spin within a hundred or so RPMs.

Im curious what makes them spin less? Same grooves, almost same weight, very similar shape. The creation says otherwise and the numbers do too. So I am genuinely curious what makes them spin less in your opinion. Wedge spin is 90% technique in my opinion.
i agree spin is mostly technique that is why i feel its got to be the wedge, grooves and its make-up that make-up the rest of the spin. i dont change my swing or technique yet one rolls out consistently and one two hops and stops. if i dont change the swing, and only the club in my hands, its got to be the club, no? i mean, i guess the shaft could come in to play, but because of my no more than 3/4 swing with wedges i have kind of chalked up shaft as not a huge player in the spin...regarding to my previous experience with those wedges and shafts that were installed.

that said, i have never used the DG spinners, so i am hoping that helps when i do try them.

my "limited experience" with vokeys and cleveland wedges is that i have never owned either. only played with someone else's on the range or in a round, but never on a trackman.
the forged, thing i too will leave alone since i know what kind of argument that can bring, but i certainly can feel a softer wedge from a "clickier" wedge (if that make sense), forged or cast doesn't matter.

Aesthetically, these look nothing like a Vokey. They look like Mizuno's. In fact, I like these much more than the MP T11's. I went with the Mizunos for one reason: the shaft.

and how do you like that shaft? i still have yet to try it. if it does what i hope, coupled with the look of these in black nickle,....they will be mine.

and i agree, these look like the old mp-r wedges to me...at least from the face and shape. im not sure if i said these look like a vokey, but i certainly didn't meant to if i did.

Alright, These are sexy as hell. I would game these in a heartbeat if they were a flat leading edge.

I really like the looks of these alot... and the Mizzy wedges have always been near the top of my list. I'd be interested to hear more about the different grooves in the higher lofted wedges.

I really like the looks of these alot... and the Mizzy wedges have always been near the top of my list. I'd be interested to hear more about the different grooves in the higher lofted wedges.

i saw a video on that and cannot find it...as soon as i do, i will post it.

Good point JB. A friend of mine has vokeys and he hit my cg 12's compared to his vokeys and hit the same shot to within a foot or two of his wedges. I have a older callaway cast wedge and can't tell a difference between it and my forged Cleveland's.

Back