Mizuno MP18 MMC and MMC FLI Hi Irons Review Thread

I had sent my MMC Fli-Hi to the Veylix Tour rep to put a Veylix Rome 988 X into the head, but it turns out the MMC head is a .355 and the Rome is a .370, so, now, I’m going with a Modus 120X in the MMC. I love those shafts, but I was REALLY looking forward to the Rome in the MMC. It was an insane combo at Club Champion during the fitting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I had sent my MMC Fli-Hi to the Veylix Tour rep to put a Veylix Rome 988 X into the head, but it turns out the MMC head is a .355 and the Rome is a .370, so, now, I’m going with a Modus 120X in the MMC. I love those shafts, but I was REALLY looking forward to the Rome in the MMC. It was an insane combo at Club Champion during the fitting.

The veylix tour rep doesn't know how to bore the hosel? I've got .370 hybrid shafts in two titleist tmbs that I had to bore out. imo hybrid shafts make a big difference in the long iron utilities

The veylix tour rep doesn't know how to bore the hosel? I've got .370 hybrid shafts in two titleist tmbs that I had to bore out. imo hybrid shafts make a big difference in the long iron utilities

He does. Tried. Didn’t have the bit to do it... I’ll still have the Rome and may send it elsewhere.

Just ordered MP-18 MMC P-6 with the 5-4 Hi-Fli. MMC is a nice balance for what I want. I didn't hit the Hi-Fli but decided to put my trust in Jman and others who rave about them. If the 4 and 5 feel good, I will likely pick up the 3. Shaft is Modus 3 105 stiff, tipped (can't remember how much). Modus was just as comfortable as the graphite shafts I tried with better numbers. Heavier shafts were performing well too, but the lighter shaft feels like a little less wear and tear. Swing speed with 6i today was generally 94 with a few up around 96. Can't wait to get the clubs. When they come in, we'll do a session again with Trackman to make sure all is good and get some initial gapping numbers. For me that's as exciting as getting the clubs. I love all the numbers.

I hit a bunch of clubs today. I am swing-exhausted. So many shafts and heads. Blah. I was pushing for i200's but fitter told me the wider sole on those was not as good a match for my swing. As I sit here and process everything, I feel really, really good about these clubs. Playing my current set while waiting is going to be awkward.

Well now, I was able to hit the MMC P, 7i, and 5i today. Modus3 105S shaft. Brand new demo clubs. I peeled off the plastic before hitting. Clean really is a great descriptor.

The sound is little more clicky that I expected, but they had a nice precision feel. Conditions were a good test. I hit into a stiff breeze coming from 1 o'clock. I hit back to back with my i25's and distance was close with all 3 clubs. I found the 5i pleasantly easy to hit; it was my favorite club today. I can't imagine what the FliHi is like. Forgiveness is similar to the i25's but maybe a touch more harshness in the impact feel; outcomes were similar on my standard mishits. The big difference was dispersion and distance precision. I could hit the MP18's to the same spot over and over. I felt like I had laser control. I also didn't hook the 5i, something I do regularly with the i25 5i. My shots were straight or draws. Peak height was similar with both clubs, but I think the MP18's had a better shape getting there. It is worth noting the Modus 105 is a much better shaft for me than the CFS shafts in my Pings. Some of what I saw could be shaft. I also very much prefer the slightly heavier swing weight of the MP18's. My Pings are D0.

As a mid-handicap with modest playing experience, I don't want to get in over my head with clubs. I have no such fear with these. I would play these in a heartbeat and would likely start scoring better. I hit my current irons well but feel like I'm aiming for a zipcode. With these I could start thinking about street address. Very nice clubs. My fitting Friday just got a whole bunch more interesting.

edit: modus 120 stiff, not 105

View attachment 32413

If the MMCs felt clicks for you try the SCs.
I feel forgiveness is in the same ballpark, but better typical mizuno feel.
I was actually hitting the SCs better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just played my first 18 with new mp18s:

Initial thoughts: when you hit them it’s straight money. 3-5 Fli Hi is definitely the play with the nippon 120s. SCs and blades almost feel identical but definitely Can feel the feedback.

I’ve been playing w mizuno irons for a while and I definitely recommend these for low to mid cappers. If your over a 15 I definitely recommend the HiFli with MMC.

I’ve been playing w mizuno irons for a while and I definitely recommend these for low to mid cappers. If your over a 15 I definitely recommend the HiFli with MMC.

Well I’m a 14 and my Fli Hi & MMC set just came in today. I can’t wait to get to play them.

@jman i hit the 3I in fli Hi.

Yeah i shouldn't have bothered...i hit utility type itons awful and this was extra bad at 7am and 40*...hand still stings.

Wanted to try the 4 but they didnt have it.

Amart hit the 3 well though

Just played my first 18 with new mp18s:

Initial thoughts: when you hit them it’s straight money. 3-5 Fli Hi is definitely the play with the nippon 120s. SCs and blades almost feel identical but definitely Can feel the feedback.

My cap is sitting at +1.9 and I couldn’t resist the fli hi. Easy to hit and launch. Went for miles. Feel was surprisingly good. Can’t wait to hit balls tomorrow

Sent from HTX

@jman i hit the 3I in fli Hi.

Yeah i shouldn't have bothered...i hit utility type itons awful and this was extra bad at 7am and 40*...hand still stings.

Wanted to try the 4 but they didnt have it.

Amart hit the 3 well though
Haha, dude I can't hit the 3 either FWIW.

Now the 4 is fun, but the 5 and 6 are works of ****ing art.

Haha, dude I can't hit the 3 either FWIW.

Now the 4 is fun, but the 5 and 6 are works of ****ing art.
Yeah will try the 4 or 5 if i come across one. Happy with the i200 5I (and have a 4I i havent hit), but mt xfoged is only 6-pw so gotts get creative

Still up in the air if I should split my MMC set to SC at the 8 iron since there is no tungsten in the 8iron...versus just going all MMC. Does the titanium insert only 8- PW in the MMC offer up any tangible increase in forgiveness to balance out slightly less feel over the SC?

Would like to go these a go if GT has these in stock. Love the looks and get along with Mizuno p

Sent from my H3123 using Tapatalk

Still up in the air if I should split my MMC set to SC at the 8 iron since there is no tungsten in the 8iron...versus just going all MMC. Does the titanium insert only 8- PW in the MMC offer up any tangible increase in forgiveness to balance out slightly less feel over the SC?

I honestly felt the mmc to be least appealing out of the clubs hence I went from hi fli to sc to blade. I couldn’t get feedback on my mishits w mmc

Well I’m a 14 and my Fli Hi & MMC set just came in today. I can’t wait to get to play them.

Nice what shafts?

I honestly felt the mmc to be least appealing out of the clubs hence I went from hi fli to sc to blade. I couldn’t get feedback on my mishits w mmc

Agreed. Totally. It's why I cut the MMC out of my combo set.

Agreed. Totally. It's why I cut the MMC out of my combo set.

I went 3-5 hi fli 6-8 sc and 9-pw. Weakened the 4 and 5 one degree.

How much help is the SC giving up to the MMC?

I'm of the opinion the SC are plenty forgiving, but that's just me!

How much help is the SC giving up to the MMC?
Not as much as one might think, particularly in the short irons, I was actually surprised at the numbers when I finally got to hit an MMC 8i vs the SC, but of course your mileage may vary.

Beauty is in the eye...

To me the MMC’s scream the perfect blend of elegance and technology. Performance-wise, I have no problem feeling my mis-hits, and I do appreciate the little extra help they give me. Appearance-wise, it’s a matter of preferring the lines of a Corvette or a Porsche. (Not a car guy, those two just popped into my head.)

Beauty is in the eye...

To me the MMC’s scream the perfect blend of elegance and technology. Performance-wise, I have no problem feeling my mis-hits, and I do appreciate the little extra help they give me. Appearance-wise, it’s a matter of preferring the lines of a Corvette or a Porsche. (Not a car guy, those two just popped into my head.)

Yea the help was incremental for me and preferred the appearance and feel.

Too each their own right?

I’ve read about how Mizuno is .25” short on their sizes but that they also measure before the grip is on. I currently play .5” short from a set of Titleist from the factory. Do I order my new sticks .25” short or .5” short? Also who is the preferred place to order and have the clubs drop shipped to my house? I’ve used golfusamanhatten before with good luck but is there another preferred place to place the order for my Mizuno irons?

I’ve read about how Mizuno is .25” short on their sizes but that they also measure before the grip is on. I currently play .5” short from a set of Titleist from the factory. Do I order my new sticks .25” short or .5” short? Also who is the preferred place to order and have the clubs drop shipped to my house? I’ve used golfusamanhatten before with good luck but is there another preferred place to place the order for my Mizuno irons?

I got mine from Discount Dan's Golf, and you should be able to order them to whatever specs you desire.

Back