Mizuno or Ping Irons

msm210

Reaction score
Handicap
Looking to get new irons soon, currently playing Cobra Fly Z+ with Fujikura MCI 120 X flex shafts.

Anyone have thoughts on the new Mizuno 20HMB vs Ping i210 irons? Haven’t hit either yet but plan on hitting them this week. These are the two irons that have peaked my interest to date.

Looking for forgiveness, feel, flight and length that might compare to my current Cobra irons.

Thanks for your input!
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Personally, unless you need irons right now I would wait until January releases. The i210 and i500 replacement will be released. I haven't seen the HMB in person, and really like the i200 I am playing now. I can imagine the Mizuno to be really nice like everything they release. The i500/i210 replacement is the only reason I haven't purchased Srixon 785s.

Looking to get new irons soon, currently playing Cobra Fly Z+ with Fujikura MCI 120 X flex shafts.

Anyone have thoughts on the new Mizuno 20HMB vs Ping i210 irons? Haven’t hit either yet but plan on hitting them this week. These are the two irons that have peaked my interest to date.

Looking for forgiveness, feel, flight and length that might compare to my current Cobra irons.

Thanks for your input!
Mike

Hey Mike!

I haven't spent a ton of time with the i210, but for me, it's all about sound/feedback -- And on that I believe Mizuno to be the superior product.

You have any local spots to go and hit them side by side?

Yes, I have Miles of Golf and Carl's Golfland within 30 minutes of me. Two very good fitting shops with great facilities & inventory.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Any insight on whether or not the iblades will b getting replaced? That is about the only thing that is keeping me from buying anything right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for your input!
Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't hit either, but I can say, I'll never own a Mizuno club after recent experiences shared here on THP. I have owned few Pings, but after my experiences there while at the THP Championship last year and the reputation they have, I'd be glad to game their clubs.

Between the two: Mizuno. But don't focus on a single model. At a minimum, find a place where you can swing lots of head and shaft combinations. If you care about scoring, your priority should be minimum dispersion. Irons are your approach clubs. It's all about putting it on that green as close to the spot you intend as possible.

Mizuno makes some amazing clubs,between the two that would be my choice. Performance,looks,feel are top notch .

I was fitted for mizuno hmp irons back in the early Spring and am truly impresses how they have improved my game. They are extremely consistent and have great ball flight. I traded a used set of G400 irons in on them that I did not hit so well. Up until this set of mizuno I had always hit Ping irons but was open to try something new and am glad I did.

Ping G410 sft 10.5* with Tensei Orange 50g reg flex shaft
Ping G400 sft 3w Tensei blue 65g reg flex shaft
Ping G400 7 wood Tensei orange 50g reg flex shaft
Ping G410 2 hybrid Tensei blue reg flex shaft
Ping G410 4&5 hybrids UST Recoil shafts
Mizuno JPX 919 HM Pros 6-pw Recoil F3 95 shafts
Mizuno JPX 919 SW,LW recoil F3 95 shafts
Ping Craz-e putter

Both fantastic sets of irons. The PING’s won’t get the love here that the Mizuno’s will but they’re honestly top notch irons if you enjoy the PING look. There’s no one as good at creating a cast iron that doesn’t feel fast as PING is.

That said, the HMB’s are imo going to be showstoppers this year. I think Mizzy is going to sell a TON of them.

You really can’t go wrong with either, if they fit your eye and make you have that confidence standing over the ball.

Personally, unless you need irons right now I would wait until January releases. The i210 and i500 replacement will be released. I haven't seen the HMB in person, and really like the i200 I am playing now. I can imagine the Mizuno to be really nice like everything they release. The i500/i210 replacement is the only reason I haven't purchased Srixon 785s.

Looking forward to Ping’s new releases. I wasn’t tracking on that. I have a very positive brand image of Ping. Their reputation for customer service appeals to me. I also like the enginerdy look of their irons. I am a complete nerd, just in case that wasn’t stupidly obvious.

I’ve also become a Mizuno fan. I have enjoyed my mp 18 irons and have a crush on the mp 20 line. Shiny, new, sexy. I am so easily seduced. The jpx line might be a better fit for me, if I can see through the lust. Great lineups and very, very smart setups for combos.

Anyway, loving both brands. Can’t wait to see Ping’s new releases and some direct comparisons.

You identified two great sets of irons from two top brands. I’d say you are going to be happy with either - you can probably get the i210 a bit cheaper but I’m only guessing there. Go in with an open mind and try to hit a bunch of clubs in that market. You may fall in love with a different set too

I have to go with the Pings if it were me. I used to love Mizuno but lately theyve lost the buttery soft feel that made them famous because they are trying to get more distance out of the clubs. Soft is slow.

I picked up a set of used Ping i200s. Couldn't be happier. Price + forgiveness it was a no brainer. I think Mizuno will give the buttery soft feel but I can't seem to find a brand more forgiving than pings. Depends on what you're after.

I've not found anything I like "better" than my i200s. I am very curious over the Srixon/Mizuno/Titleist releases but I'm going to wait. Only advice I have is hit them and if you are happy and really like them, enjoy!

Two great brands, not sure you can go wrong. Demo, demo!

Thanks to all for your replies! Going to hit them this week and anything else the fitter might recommend.

Cobra's have been good, just looking for newer models with more forgiveness and getting fit for the proper shaft.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Back