Mizuno Pro 221, 223, 225 and Fli-Hi Irons

Holy. These things (223Pro) are forgiving all over the face. Really only lost distance when hit them pretty high on the face.

Just picked mine up and hit a big bucket, off mats. I had them cranked 1*up, I am hitting them as far and just a touch further than my Apex19s, and continue to have better dispersion. And they launch HIGH, I may have picked the wrong shaft (Recoil ESX460), but we were into a little breeze on the range, and they seemed to cut thru OK.

I did not realize, but the hitting area is WIDER on the 223 Pro than the A19, these are not at all intimidating to hit.

So. Soft.

These irons are the worst. They tricked me into thinking this was on the back fringe.

I edit my comment above, the 8i face is about the same width. Chunkier top line and dirty/worn sole are Apex19.
A303B9D3-ACAE-4721-8C37-0EDC19AB17A8.jpeg
6i
FC1760F3-C892-4683-95A2-BF94ED42A6F3.jpeg
8i
5454C2C3-B913-457B-B83C-4870E5D0D06A.jpeg
9i/6i to show insert difference. I’m a mid capper, but I didn’t notice a feel difference - they’re all lovely.
79F35C45-8F11-4551-935C-6BAA48F21B7F.jpeg

From what the Mizuno rep told me when I got fitted for mine, it always suggests the steel fibers. He said he wouldn't fit anyone into them and doesn't know Mizuno has that as their go to.

I was playing Steelfibers and they were low on the recommendation list it recommended Modus 120s. I got a set of irons with them in it and am back to playing Steelfibers.

My 225s are sick.
Effortless speed and height, yet still able to hit these low rippers when needed. Thin strikes are comical in how they feel terrible, but you look up and your ball is nearly in the right window anyway and then carries close to the number.

225s haveb you tried them? They'll blow your mind.
I have not. I had the option but went with the 223s, blind. I think I will like them.

Part of me really wants a set of 225s.

I have not. I had the option but went with the 223s, blind. I think I will like them.
Enjoy they are also great. I have a bag of 225s, I should have offered, sorry. No matter, you'll be fine!

I think my 221s heard that thing about maybe moving on

I mishit the heck out of a PW from 145y, and this was the result..

20220914_154140.jpg

They're always listening.. :LOL:

Last edited:
Question or rather a confirmation... The 223s are a touch more forgiving than a ZX7, right? Or is it definitively more forgiving.

Fli-Hi 2 iron is really starting eat at me. Push me over the edge as to why I should abandon fairways.....

man i am SO excited to start contributing to this thread!!!

thanks to the victory cup with mizuno golf i was given my choice of irons to game for the event at tpc sawgrass. for reasons that will be discussed soon, i went with the mizuno pro 225 4-p with recoil 95 f4, and a fli hi 4 with the hzrdus smoke black.

i’m a decent iron player. not amazing, but being able to hit greens is the only reason i can keep the score in the low 80s since my short game is an issue. so i need to hit lots of greens to post a decent number.

only, i have a problem: me. see, i prefer small profile irons with good feel. i want a thin top line. but i also want high launch and good distance.

when it came time to place our order for the event, i was torn. the 225 were slightly bigger than my last couple sets. the 223 were the better fit visually, but i couldn’t resist a little more distance and a little more forgiveness. so i went with the 225.

there are great pics in this thread already, but the 225 just look so freaking good. and the size immediately became a nonissue.

throughout the event the 225 balled out! i hit some really nice shots, but what impressed me most was the forgiveness. it was incredible, particularly on the thin miss that was prevalent for me both rounds. i had some pretty thin shots that carried almost the full intended distance. i was shocked over and over. and i’m extremely excited for the future with these irons as i get better contact. they will perform so well, while still giving me excellent forgiveness when i do miss.

the 4 fli hi was also an amazing surprise. i had a couple well hit shots with it, but several misses. the misses gave me much better results than i deserved.

paired with my t22 wedges and a certain new golf ball, the future looks very bright!

thanks to the victory cup with mizuno golf i was given my choice of irons to game for the event at tpc sawgrass. for reasons that will be discussed soon, i went with the mizuno pro 225 4-p with recoil 95 f4, and a fli hi 4 with the hzrdus smoke black.

i’m a decent iron player. not amazing, but being able to hit greens is the only reason i can keep the score in the low 80s since my short game is an issue. so i need to hit lots of greens to post a decent number.

only, i have a problem: me. see, i prefer small profile irons with good feel. i want a thin top line. but i also want high launch and good distance.

when it came time to place our order for the event, i was torn. the 225 were slightly bigger than my last couple sets. the 223 were the better fit visually, but i couldn’t resist a little more distance and a little more forgiveness. so i went with the 225.

there are great pics in this thread already, but the 225 just look so freaking good. and the size immediately became a nonissue.

throughout the event the 225 balled out! i hit some really nice shots, but what impressed me most was the forgiveness. it was incredible, particularly on the thin miss that was prevalent for me both rounds. i had some pretty thin shots that carried almost the full intended distance. i was shocked over and over. and i’m extremely excited for the future with these irons as i get better contact. they will perform so well, while still giving me excellent forgiveness when i do miss.

the 4 fli hi was also an amazing surprise. i had a couple well hit shots with it, but several misses. the misses gave me much better results than i deserved.

paired with my t22 wedges and a certain new golf ball, the future looks very bright!
So happy this has worked out for you! Don’t play that Fli Hi to far forward. Was a learning curve for me. It will launch itself.

interesting…
It doesn't need any help. It just goes. Ball speed is great and it moves. I play mine roughly the same as my 6 iron. It does really well from tee or turf.

I just came here to say Fli-Hi, Fli-Hi, Fli-Hi all day long!!! My 3 wood will be moved to the clubs I need to sell bag

I just came here to say Fli-Hi, Fli-Hi, Fli-Hi all day long!!! My 3 wood will be moved to the clubs I need to sell bag
I am so close to moving the UW for a Fli-hi 2 iron just to nervous to pull the trigger.

Love this!
I resisted going to a slightly bigger iron for quite some time, but the fact is I'm now glad I did. The size sort of becomes a non-issue after a short time and they have legitimately raised my floor - which for someone like me is HUGE.

Love this!
I resisted going to a slightly bigger iron for quite some time, but the fact is I'm now glad I did. The size sort of becomes a non-issue after a short time and they have legitimately raised my floor - which for someone like me is HUGE.

the realization from the event is that golf is so much more fun when misses are playable. period. while i appreciate the positivity from the community about my play, the fact is i missed a lot. but the misses were on greens. i’m really excited to see just how much my scores improve with these irons that fit my needs better.

Back