Mizuno Pro 221, 223, 225 and Fli-Hi Irons

For those unaware I got a 3 and 4 Fli-hi as part of the Victory Cup. I was pretty nervous about getting them tbh. I had never used a ‘utility iron’ like this before. It looked chunky but hard to hit for some reason.

I couldn’t have been more wrong on that second part. Yes, it is a THICK BOI for sure but it hides itself well once over the ball. Due to the absurd length we played Sawgrass at these two utility irons got a lot of use. It was driver then fli-hi on plenty of holes. I had some issues with driver at the event but the positive was I got to hit the fli-hi out of many different types of lies. Rough, pine straw, dirt, and even a fairway or two. 🤣

It performed great out of all of those surfaces, especially the rough. It was able to get through it with really smooth turf interaction and produced a nice lower ball flight that tended to run out a mile. I like that.

The only issue I’m having with them is shaft flex. I picked a Tensei CK pro red shaft and I’m not sure if it’s due to the heavier head or just the properties of the shaft but it’s VERY flexy. I have to be very deliberate with my tempo to get a good swing on them. I probably should have went with a stiffer shaft. It’s highly likely I will swap them out at some point. Any recommendations?

I think these two clubs are going to be really good for my game and I can’t wait to get more time with them so I have more feedback to share!

the realization from the event is that golf is so much more fun when misses are playable. period. while i appreciate the positivity from the community about my play, the fact is i missed a lot. but the misses were on greens. i’m really excited to see just how much my scores improve with these irons that fit my needs better.

Funny you say that because I used to use the same rational in reverse to keep my blades. It's been 10+ years now but I wanted mis-hits not to go far for fear of getting into trouble. I 100% agree with you now. Take the distance and forgiveness and deal with trouble if your ball finds it!

Last edited:
TLDR: 225's and Fli-hi's are dead on awesome. Serious missile-producing sticks.

So thankful that I got the chance to play the Victory Cup - wish I would have played better, but it is what it is. I know it tends to take me a bit to get used to new sticks so it makes sense.

I picked the 225 mainly due to looks and feels. The top line is thinner and the offset is a bit less based on everything I could research between the MP's and JPX lines. I like a thinner topline and less offset.
I believe I made the right choice.

The 225's are the best looking sticks on the market and I don't think there is any question about it.

So far performance-wise, I've started to get used to a lighter shaft. Moving from a 132g DGX100 to a 120g DGX100 is taking a bit of work (that's my story and I'm sticking to it). I don't have to swing as hard to make the ball jump. As always - the feel is excellent - even with thin or fat shots and the forgiveness is more than what I expected.

Was able to play yesterday with my wife and some friends. What I noticed is that the ball really jumps when you put a half way successful swing on it. Hit a 7 iron out of a fairway bunker that flew 185 yards. Just purely struck with a smooth swing. These are going to be dangerous I believe once I fully get used to them.

Also picked up the a 2 Fli-hi - and it's a rocket machine! Serious missiles are hit and again - I don't have to be overly aggressive with it (which is something I'm going to have to get used to I think.

Going to hit the range a few times this week and play a couple more times this weekend. I'll have even more insight then.

PXL_20220918_191230075.MP.jpg

Went and picked up the 5 thru 8 Irons that arrived first at club champion today just so I'd be able to hit them in the meantime while I waited on the final clubs to arrive....get home and open the box and the clubs have KBS $-tapor Lite 100 shafts instead of the S+ shafts I ordered :eek::cry:

I’ve got to get some different shafts in the 3&4 fli-hi’s. I made a mistake going with the Tensei CK Red and they are way too soft tipped I feel like I lose all control in transition and impact. Results are very sporadic.

These clubs have the potential to be really good for me but regular flex in those clubs just isn’t doing it. I think I can throw the 4i DART shaft in the 4 fli-hi and see how that feels since they are a bit on the stiff side of regular flex.

i’ve had my 225 7i on the range every morning this week. i’m working on some swing stuff, but i am falling in love FAST with the feel of the 225 out of the middle. even slightly heeled it feels amazing. i’m learning quickly to avoid the toe strike lol

maybe tomorrow i’ll get some gc3 numbers to see what’s what.

i’ve had my 225 7i on the range every morning this week. i’m working on some swing stuff, but i am falling in love FAST with the feel of the 225 out of the middle. even slightly heeled it feels amazing. i’m learning quickly to avoid the toe strike lol

maybe tomorrow i’ll get some gc3 numbers to see what’s what.
I'd be curious to hear how the mid longs compare to your TR20P on numbers. I hadn't really thought about that until now, but they're pretty different versions of the same goal kind of.

I'd be curious to hear how the mid longs compare to your TR20P on numbers. I hadn't really thought about that until now, but they're pretty different versions of the same goal kind of.

i can go 5i v 5i and will report back. good thought!

best laid plans. gc3 was dead as a doornail, so this will have to wait until tomorrow. good news is i hit the pro 225 7i probably the best on the range that i've hit it since receiving it last week. so we're already getting to know each other pretty well. we've been holding hands, sending suggestive text messages. i might invite it over to watch some netflix if you catch my drift.

best laid plans. gc3 was dead as a doornail, so this will have to wait until tomorrow. good news is i hit the pro 225 7i probably the best on the range that i've hit it since receiving it last week. so we're already getting to know each other pretty well. we've been holding hands, sending suggestive text messages. i might invite it over to watch some netflix if you catch my drift.

I think it's in the mid irons where the 225s really shine.

So as part of the Victory Cup I received the 223s with Nippon 105s. I have been playing the 225s all year with the Nippon 950s and have loved them. So a lot of my feedback over the next few months will be comparing the two sets. Will get some launch monitor data to compare between them, along with my thoughts on feel, forgiveness, workability etc. I will be playing tomorrow am with the 223s for my first "normal" round with them back in familiar conditions.

In times of weakness, my thoughts drift towards owning a Hi-Fli.

Do it! Absolutely do it! I love my Fli-Hi it's such a versatile club for me.

They are seriously good. Easy to hit and launch and feel great. Just wants to go straight and long.

i was super impressed with it. even with my low launch and low spin tendencies, it worked great.

Everything I've had has been positive. My biggest hangup is delay for a custom order.

They are getting very close to back to normal on their order timeline. Much improved from what it was earlier this year.

They are getting very close to back to normal on their order timeline. Much improved from what it was earlier this year.
That's good to hear. I'm not wanting to wait 8 weeks again.

Went and picked up the 5 thru 8 Irons that arrived first at club champion today just so I'd be able to hit them in the meantime while I waited on the final clubs to arrive....get home and open the box and the clubs have KBS $-tapor Lite 100 shafts instead of the S+ shafts I ordered :eek::cry:
So the plot continues....

They told me to bring the clubs back to get to the bottom of the mystery. They told me that the sticker on the shafts could just be wrong. So I went back to the store, and while I was there I told them I wanted to hit the demo club with the demo shaft vs the club I received. I couldn't really feel much of a difference. The numbers were very similar from the demo club which was a $-taper 120 vs mine that was labeled $-taper Lite 100. That would be immediately noticeable wouldn't it if I had a different shaft? So maybe indeed it was just the wrong sticker?

They told me to leave the clubs and they were going to check them out just to make sure. It's just frustrating when you spend that kind of money to not know for sure what you actually have because of potentially a mislabeled sticker....the shipment info for the clubs I received all had the right shaft listed though.

I'm pretty new to golf, and don't have experience with a variety of shafts so I don't know anything besides I spent a lot of money on it. And I want the right shaft.

edit- they emailed me and said after taking the club apart they found it was the right shaft with just the wrong sticker and that they would get the right bands on the way. So that's a relief.

Last edited:
Some new 223 Pro action:

B91365F5-251F-4F98-BAC7-38BBB6561E12.jpeg

And a 4 Fli-Hi:

5EFA01A8-BF77-4B1F-B8F2-4CAF46694C16.jpeg00A1DDE5-BE8A-4AA2-92E1-97D27DB96017.jpeg236A95D2-7E1D-4BFB-B289-31270703F44C.jpeg

Back