Mizuno Pro 221, 223, 225 and Fli-Hi Irons

I gotta be honest here and tell y’all that the first few rounds I had my 225’s I hit them worse than junk. Probably because I was all jacked up on Mountain Dew due to being at one of the most iconic courses in the world. After a bit of video analysis (17th hole) I realized I was swinging way to hard and fast as and not turning through the swing which caused massively erratic shots. Sawgrass itself was phenomenal… my swing with the 225’s was less than pretty.

That brings me to tonight and a positive time on the course with my new 225’s. Overall I shot 34 (-2) and had some really really good shots. The 225’s are absolute beasts! Serious tech under the hood and the ball just goes. Hit a 7 iron into a breeze 185 yards which flew the green by a long ways.

My absolute favorite club right now is my 2 Fli-Hi. It hits absolute piss missiles! Used it off the fairway on one of our closing par 5s at 240 out and landed on the green. Seriously my fav club right now and may use if off every tee box if I can Tomorrow.

I gotta be honest here and tell y’all that the first few rounds I had my 225’s I hit them worse than junk. Probably because I was all jacked up on Mountain Dew due to being at one of the most iconic courses in the world. After a bit of video analysis (17th hole) I realized I was swinging way to hard and fast as and not turning through the swing which caused massively erratic shots. Sawgrass itself was phenomenal… my swing with the 225’s was less than pretty.

That brings me to tonight and a positive time on the course with my new 225’s. Overall I shot 34 (-2) and had some really really good shots. The 225’s are absolute beasts! Serious tech under the hood and the ball just goes. Hit a 7 iron into a breeze 185 yards which flew the green by a long ways.

My absolute favorite club right now is my 2 Fli-Hi. It hits absolute piss missiles! Used it off the fairway on one of our closing par 5s at 240 out and landed on the green. Seriously my fav club right now and may use if off every tee box if I can Tomorrow.
Great to hear it was just a bad start with them on a really tough course during a lot of excitement, and you found a groove once you got to usual surroundings. Awesome round!

The 221s continue to suck for me

they're the worst. :p

Honestly, I'm not sure I'm ready to move on. They're so good. And the 223 4 and 5 really move. Between how good they are and feel, and some other stuff coming, I'm leaning away from going to 923 Tour.

Last edited:
Playing again today, tomorrow, and Sunday. Excited to see what these irons can do now that I've started to figure them out.

Company tournament next week - gotta prepare... LFG!

Playing again today, tomorrow, and Sunday. Excited to see what these irons can do now that I've started to figure them out.

Get all the golf in you can sir before you have to wear a Canadian Goose jacket on the course.:ROFLMAO:

I'd be curious to hear how the mid longs compare to your TR20P on numbers. I hadn't really thought about that until now, but they're pretty different versions of the same goal kind of.

here are some screenshots from this morning. swing was in a decent spot. my one caveat is this is at a range off mats. the range balls aren’t the best. and the mats have all kinds of ridges from repeated use and wear, so the unit isn’t perfectly level and sometimes it reads funky attack. but i know this range well, and the distance numbers were very accurate.

7EB233BF-3E63-4410-8651-8B8377A52DD1.jpeg

69018D9E-46DF-4D03-AEAD-A3EDDCC9876D.jpeg

A1680B79-6990-468B-B70B-24B12692D539.jpeg

the data above is pretty interesting to me. my attack was a little steeper with the honma, maybe the shaft has something to do with that (modus 115S). but the ball speed of the 225 can't be denied, and the dispersion is excellent. i continue to see more heel-bias with the 225 than i'd like to see, but maybe over time that will resolve itself. and i have to think as i move a little more to the toe, ball speed will increase even more. the spin of the 225 is admittedly lower than i'd like, as is the descent angle. these are even 1* weak per requested specs. i do play a spinny ball, so honestly i don't have any concerns about holding greens.

to me, that data set above shows that while the honma is still a great golf club, the pro 225 is a better fit with a higher upside.

the data above is pretty interesting to me. my attack was a little steeper with the honma, maybe the shaft has something to do with that (modus 115S). but the ball speed of the 225 can't be denied, and the dispersion is excellent. i continue to see more heel-bias with the 225 than i'd like to see, but maybe over time that will resolve itself. and i have to think as i move a little more to the toe, ball speed will increase even more. the spin of the 225 is admittedly lower than i'd like, as is the descent angle. these are even 1* weak per requested specs. i do play a spinny ball, so honestly i don't have any concerns about holding greens.

to me, that data set above shows that while the honma is still a great golf club, the pro 225 is a better fit with a higher upside.
Flatter swing could defiantly cause hits towards the heel. Are the lies the same? Just curious

I’m taking the new 223s and 4 fli-hi out today for their first round. Let’s gooooooooooo!

Flatter swing could defiantly cause hits towards the heel. Are the lies the same? Just curious

i haven't had the lies measured, but i believe they are the same. static weight is different, though. pro 225 has recoil 95 f4, honma has modus 115S.

i haven't had the lies measured, but i believe they are the same. static weight is different, though. pro 225 has recoil 95 f4, honma has modus 115S.

Regardless those are great numbers and thank you for posting.

I was the same way when I got mine about a month ago. Last weekend I shot my best two rounds of the summer. Just needed to get used to them.

Regardless those are great numbers and thank you for posting.

i'm really excited, man. i've been chasing really small, unforgiving irons lately in pursuit of aesthetics, feel, and let's admit it ego. having some speed and distance back is really freaking fun!

here are some screenshots from this morning. swing was in a decent spot. my one caveat is this is at a range off mats. the range balls aren’t the best. and the mats have all kinds of ridges from repeated use and wear, so the unit isn’t perfectly level and sometimes it reads funky attack. but i know this range well, and the distance numbers were very accurate.

View attachment 9122647

View attachment 9122648

View attachment 9122649
Good stuff!! Really interesting to see the differences for you. 225s are quick and a little lower. Probably more forgiving too.

Reading on I did notice the heel bias comment, and the ones that followed. Loft/lie, shaft, etc can definitely alter flights, but that comment in combination with the shot chart is interesting. Hitting heel draws takes a special kind of delivery. I now consider you family :LOL:, but I would be analyzing the heck out of the club data looking for delivery things there. Actually no, I'd be looking at video for them, but you fancy.

Good stuff!! Really interesting to see the differences for you. 225s are quick and a little lower. Probably more forgiving too.

Reading on I did notice the heel bias comment, and the ones that followed. Loft/lie, shaft, etc can definitely alter flights, but that comment in combination with the shot chart is interesting. Hitting heel draws takes a special kind of delivery. I now consider you family :LOL:, but I would be analyzing the heck out of the club data looking for delivery things there. Actually no, I'd be looking at video for them, but you fancy.

yeah heel draw is a thing for me. i don't hate it!

225s just wanted to go so much straighter than the honma, which wanted to take a 360* view of the range lol. they both feel fast, but the 225 just seem to have more pop and i much prefer the shape over the 20p.

the heel bias is interesting. i'll keep working with them, and if it doesn't change i'll get a lie angle analysis.

i'm super happy with my choice. i see some excellent golf coming my way!

The 4i fli-hi witb the recoil shaft is 😍😍😍. On par 5 second shots it’s unreal. Holding a green from 230 is nuts.

The 4i fli-hi witb the recoil shaft is 😍😍😍. On par 5 second shots it’s unreal. Holding a green from 230 is nuts.
Again,

1663985567250.gif

230 is nuts, for me, but I'm working on it.
I was a lucky shot. I hit just short of the green and it rolled on. We still had a long putt.

Back