Mizuno Pro 221, 223, 225 and Fli-Hi Irons

Spent some time at Trackman range this morning to get some numbers on the 223s. Mine are standard loft, 1 degree flat, with Nippon 105 Stiff shafts. Generally speaking my driver swing speed is around 95-100. I'm guessing with the weather today (around 55) I was at the lower end of my speed.

PW: ~120 carry, Ball Speed of 90, Launching 36 degrees, and Peak Height of 103
9I: ~ 135 carry, Ball speed of 97, Launching 32 degrees, with a Peak Height of 107
8I: ~150 carry, Ball speed of 105, Launching 30 degrees, and a Peak Height of 118
7I: ~160 carry, Ball Speed of 113, Launching 24 degrees, with a Peak Height of 110
6I: ~170 Carry, Ball Speed of 117, Launching 20 degrees, with a Peak Height of 108
5I: ~180 Carry, Ball Speed of 120, Launching 20 degrees, with a Peak Height of 105

This was just one session but in looking at the numbers they look pretty consistent with what I would expect of irons of this type. I really like how consistent the peak height is. I was noticing a little bit of a bigger gap between the 9I and 8I. The 8I has some pop (as you could see by my swing on 17 at Sawgrass). I find it a little surprising that the 5 and 6I were launching at the same number, so I will check that the next time I am there. Also it looks like I am closer to 15 degree gaps in the 8-PW, and then move to 10 yard gaps or so in the 5-7I.

The feel of these clubs is just amazing. Flushing one is every bit as enjoyable as you would think with a forged Mizuno. One thing is quickly becoming clear to me, they are very much a player's iron. If you get much away from the center, you are going to feel it, and notice a drop in distance and a change in ball flight.

Next time I am there I will get some numbers with my 225s and compare.

image.jpg

160y downwind 9i to finish the round with a bird!

The 4i fli-hi witb the recoil shaft is 😍😍😍. On par 5 second shots it’s unreal. Holding a green from 230 is nuts.
I can’t wait to get the Recoil DART shaft in my 4 Fli-hi. They are near un-hittable right now with the whippy shaft currently in them.

I can’t wait to get the Recoil DART shaft in my 4 Fli-hi. They are near un-hittable right now with the whippy shaft currently in them.
I think it’s going to work awesome. I was hesitant to put an iron shaft in, but wow has it worked. In a perfect world I would have went lighter, maybe 90g. So I think you are on the right track.

You sure you don't want to put a hybrid shaft in there?

You sure you don't want to put a hybrid shaft in there?
Yeah, I think I’d like to go with the dart. I think the consistent feel for what’s essentially a ‘fat iron’ will be good.

I’m going to spend one more week gathering course data with the 95s in the JPX irons then I’m making the switch to the DART’s.

om freaking g did my pro 225 from the victory cup BALL OUT today. for the first time in i can’t remember when, i missed a couple greens long. one was 7i from a little rough 167 to the middle, caught it just a little above dead center and flew it to the back, had to be 180. another time was just a flushed 9i that carried to the back fringe at 150.

the biggest thing i LOVED today was par 3 performance. i got away with mishits where my last sets punished me too much.

fli hi was fantastic in my warmup. i hit it twice on the course, once was a punch under a tree in some thick rough that came off ok. the other was a layup on a par 5 that wasn’t hit perfectly but went dead straight on my line and led to an easy gir and par.

it was so awesome to see my confidence grow throughout the round. i am so happy that i chose the pro 225 irons. they are fantastic!

it was so awesome to see my confidence grow throughout the round. i am so happy that i chose the pro 225 irons. they are fantastic!
I just posted something very similar in the JPX thread. Mizuno sure hit it out of the park this cycle, huh!!

In and extremely well thought of but not thoroughly thought out moment I grabbed a V1x before the lady and I went on shopping errands and mentioned wanting to see some rough numbers with it and 'my' clubs. I hit it on occasion when I'm hitting other things, but not often and not usually with my own. And I really really really didn't want to go to Whole Foods and she was going to want to go. Guaranteed. Well thought of excuse. (y)

What I didn't think about was bringing something other than deck shoes, that there would surely be a kid there hitting something 647 times on a weekend, that when I put a camera in selfie and record I'm left handed and have to flip it after, that without me in Whole Foods no Mochi or Maccaroons would find their way in to the bags, AND that Club Champion, where I'll be hitting Titleist balls in a couple weeks actually uses 6 IRONS for club fittings and I have no idea what for Titleist ball fittings. Not well thought out.

So now I just have a video of me hitting yellow ball 7 irons in cut off shorts and deck shoes and taking pictures of the numbers, which is surely the only time that will ever happen. So I'm posting a cut down version of 3 consecutive swings with gradually less picture taking, for posterity and so I can remember the numbers.

Feel free to roast away about any of these things or simply enjoy the sound of a delicious Mizuno iron fairly well struck. :D

Good morning all -

Got to get out this weekend and play 2 rounds. Got three more coming this week and I'll collect my thoughts after those rounds as well.

I continue to fall deeper for the 225's as I work through my own personal swing issues. There's a reason that over the last many years I've stayed away from 4 person scrambles as it has a strong likelihood of jacking up my swing.

I really noticed the feel this weekend when I flushed an iron. Pure, sweet, and just easy once I connected. And boy do they travel. While some of this is working through the swing issues, much of the distance and jump has to do with the tech embedded in the sticks. It was windy here this weekend, and I found that the ball would cut through the wind pretty well even though I hit it pretty high.

Also noticed that I can get some really good spin on the greens, at one time backing up a 7 iron about 12 feet or so from 175 yards. Now - that partially may be due to the ball - but in all likelihood - it has much to do with the 225s.

I noticed the forgiveness in missed shots as well. Heel shots, toe shots, seemed to all be much better than other sticks I've owned... and my hands didn't hurt after hitting a crap shot.

Once again the winner of the rounds was the 2 Fli-Hi. I'm in absolute love with this club. I've been able to hit it off the fairway, out of the rough, and yesterday after tee shot into a bunker - I used the Fli-hi to hit out of the bunker to a layup area with no issues (30mph wind in face) - normally it'd be a 5 iron from that spot... but the Fli-hi performed well.

All in all - super impressed with the sticks.

Kinda wanna take the 223’s out today…but I also know my gamers are the best I’ve ever hit for me….

Continue to get better and better results with the 225's and loving them even more every day. I think the change to the 120's will be good for me as I realize I don't have to swing as hard in comparison to the 132g that I was swinging. Hit a 4 iron yesterday into a pretty strong wind that cut right through it and made the green in 2. I was super surprised in how the ball just beat through the wind. It felt just overall perfect.

Again the overall winner continues to be the 2 Fli-hi. Off the tee, off the fairway, out of the rough - all confident shots that went where I wanted it to go. Hit it off the tee (going with the wind) 250 yesterday. Openly questioned myself why I even hit the big stick when I hit the 2 like I did yesterday.

It's coming along and I'm really beginning to enjoy the new 225's.

Continue to get better and better results with the 225's and loving them even more every day. I think the change to the 120's will be good for me as I realize I don't have to swing as hard in comparison to the 132g that I was swinging. Hit a 4 iron yesterday into a pretty strong wind that cut right through it and made the green in 2. I was super surprised in how the ball just beat through the wind. It felt just overall perfect.

Again the overall winner continues to be the 2 Fli-hi. Off the tee, off the fairway, out of the rough - all confident shots that went where I wanted it to go. Hit it off the tee (going with the wind) 250 yesterday. Openly questioned myself why I even hit the big stick when I hit the 2 like I did yesterday.

It's coming along and I'm really beginning to enjoy the new 225's.

i am so freaking pumped about the 225s. they are a pure joy. in 3 rounds they’ve made golf as fun as maybe it’s ever been for me.

and i agree the fli hi is a blast.

i am so freaking pumped about the 225s. they are a pure joy. in 3 rounds they’ve made golf as fun as maybe it’s ever been for me.

Me reading these posts...

must..........ignore.........

One thing I really like about the 223s is their versatility around the green. So many of the "distance" irons make little bump and runs challenging because the face is so hot/springy. Not at all the case with the 223s. I was using them a ton for these types of shots off the bermuda at Sawgrass. This was on #1 with just a little 8 or 9 iron bump leading to an easy par.

View attachment 238507-ca625cd812e5abe87402339687f187d9.mov

Me reading these posts...

must..........ignore.........

i’ve been chasing small, sexy irons for the last couple years. t100S, honma tr20, miura. i still adore the look and feel of those. but the truth is i’m not a good enough ball striker to play them, and my short game is not good enough to give me par chances when i miss. so something like these pro 225 give me more distance, and more forgiveness, in a pretty good footprint without sacrificing bag appeal.

i won’t lie to you and say i can’t tell a difference at address or at impact between these pro 225 and those other irons i played. but when my first round back home with these pro 225 yielded one of my best scores all year, AND i left a handful of shots on the course, the results speak for themselves.

the pro 225 is the profile i need to lean into. faster, forgiving, but not too thicc. i’m back in that profile, which is why the game just became a ton of fun again.

i’ve been chasing small, sexy irons for the last couple years. t100S, honma tr20, miura. i still adore the look and feel of those. but the truth is i’m not a good enough ball striker to play them, and my short game is not good enough to give me par chances when i miss. so something like these pro 225 give me more distance, and more forgiveness, in a pretty good footprint without sacrificing bag appeal.

i won’t lie to you and say i can’t tell a difference at address or at impact between these pro 225 and those other irons i played. but when my first round back home with these pro 225 yielded one of my best scores all year, AND i left a handful of shots on the course, the results speak for themselves.

the pro 225 is the profile i need to lean into. faster, forgiving, but not too thicc. i’m back in that profile, which is why the game just became a ton of fun again.

I like fun....

I want fun...

More of the fun....

Ok, I wanna play too, old guy here (not 'old' like @OldandStiff) old like, OLD. I don't hit the ball as far - and lately that has been kind of puzzling - but I digress.

As noted on the contest between my kid and I thread from last week. I had 2 par 3s that I was tap in range. That I had both the kid and a member as witness @PapaJohick was really cool. Still never had a HIO but I can see it happening.

The fact is - the 225s inspire confidence hit great shots with decent swings and even better with great swings.

I had a 140ish and and 150ish par threes (holes 2 - no warm up and hole 18 when one is tired). I used I think 8 and 7 irons. on #2 - about 18" on #18 about 30" No big deal right - WRONG! I was using balls that do not spin and stop - but I managed to do just that with them - used the Srixon version of super soft balls - I forget the name right now - but they both stopped witihin 12-18 inches of their respective pitch marks. Not something that happens all the time with this ball - so a well executed shot puts ample spin on the ball.

Still loving these clubs.

Ok, I wanna play too, old guy here (not 'old' like @OldandStiff) old like, OLD. I don't hit the ball as far - and lately that has been kind of puzzling - but I digress.

As noted on the contest between my kid and I thread from last week. I had 2 par 3s that I was tap in range. That I had both the kid and a member as witness @PapaJohick was really cool. Still never had a HIO but I can see it happening.

The fact is - the 225s inspire confidence hit great shots with decent swings and even better with great swings.

I had a 140ish and and 150ish par threes (holes 2 - no warm up and hole 18 when one is tired). I used I think 8 and 7 irons. on #2 - about 18" on #18 about 30" No big deal right - WRONG! I was using balls that do not spin and stop - but I managed to do just that with them - used the Srixon version of super soft balls - I forget the name right now - but they both stopped witihin 12-18 inches of their respective pitch marks. Not something that happens all the time with this ball - so a well executed shot puts ample spin on the ball.

Still loving these clubs.

You got them very well throughout the day. Stay safe this weekend. Hopefully we can get back out in the next week or so

My comfortability with these is pretty crazy. I think I mixed it up less this year or something, because there's more of a noticable drop off from my irons to .. not my irons. I think I kind of hit a home run on my first set of Mizunos. Played around with a bunch of other things today, and I couldn't really come up with something better in the numbers or the feels.

And I hit a 223 7 iron for the first time in a guess a long time, because holy rocket ship! Was an immediate example and reminder of why I like them in my longest irons. They really get up and move.

Another near ace with the PW last Saturday. Pin in a difficult location. Left side of green with a ripple running through the middle of the green. Playing around 145. We had a touch of wind at our back and I went with PW. Landed a little push draw on the front of the green and it trickles down the hill and a little left right to the hole. Couldn’t have placed it much better.

6DA223E7-9C50-4B65-8FDA-5E5C8A6E149D.jpeg

8i on a scary par 3 over the water. i really thought this was going in. …and i can’t upload the photo. it was close!0B938608-A9A1-4C86-A498-B2CE6BB4D6FB.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve finally figured out how to hit the 3 Fli-hi again. Driver was acting up today and I pulled the 3 on a couple of tee boxes today.

It’s an absolute money 210y club off the tee. I feel like I could squeeze about 20 more yards off of it with the right shaft. I have to slow down and really focus on my tempo with the current shaft.

It sounds and feels soooo gooood on a flushed shot.

i am so in love with the 225. the entire setup is just perfect. another round in the 70s. i cannot recall any set of irons i’ve ever clicked with so quickly. no learning curve. just excellent golf (for me) from the word “go.”

what i continue to beam about is the par 3 performance. -1 on the par 3s today (bogeyed one hole i used fli hi on).

i think my favorite shot of the day with the irons was a long par 4. i hit a heely drive that found the fairway but left me 195 out with a left to right wind. 5i was hit great, and found the green and led to a birdie on a very challenging hole.

i had 3 balls hit long, though. that’s going to take a little getting used to, but a little more time and it won’t be an issue.

it’s an early call, but these are quickly pushing their way to one of the best irons i’ve ever put in the bag.

fli hi was a liability today. i take the blame, but if that persists i might look to change the shaft. it has hzrdus smoke 6.0, i’m not sure that’s a good fit. maybe stick with something in the recoil family to complement the iron shafts that are working so dang well.

Back