This looks fantastic. What I've found is I'm pretty high spin with the driver so the fact (per their website) that you can use the weights to get to an "ultra-low spin" is extremely appealing to me.

Something tells me you might have one of these at the PX Experience...

Next year might be the first that I give Mizuno a real shot at the top end of the bag. Putting out some real good stuff

The Z and the X are really good and if the G is in the same class with that adjustable factor it could be great. Also, hate to say it but $499 for a new driver this fall/winter might be on the low end...

The Z and the X are really good and if the G is in the same class with that adjustable factor it could be great. Also, hate to say it but $499 for a new driver this fall/winter might be on the low end...

The price thing is definitely there. They came in fairly low with X and Z and I thought some would view it as inferior due to that. Im not sure that was the case, but seeing this one come in at $499 and knowing its less than a number of current and new releases is an intriguing proposition to golfers.

Something tells me you might have one of these at the PX Experience...
I did notice the release date had a nice correlation 😬😬😬😬

I just bought an X. My fitter tried hard to get me into other brands such as Taylor Made and Ping, thinking they would be a natural fit. But at the end of the day, nothing out performed the X and it felt the best.

If this is better than the X, it should be fantastic.

I will add more thoughts as I go. Was out 10 days to rest my back.

I like the look of the driver. It has a deep face but the shape tells you it is forgiving with a traditional design. Most of the attention is drawn to the weights.

Since I need ball speed, I decided to put both weights full forward, and I've got lead tape on that empty weight port in the back. If you don't know, the weights come out of the heel and toe position, so you can put both weights in the high MOI position or one in the heel or toe and one in the back. You can configure it any way you want. I am waiting for an opportunity to purchase a iighter weight for the back position to take out the lead tape.

I find the driver forgiving with amazingly good sound for all of the adjustments. Feel is solid/dense, not soft like the Epic Speed. I kept mine at 9 degrees at a +1 lie angle. Mizuno is generally a degree or two flat, which a lot of people like.

I will add more when I get Trackman numbers on Friday (lesson). But the 220 is an impressive driver.

Last edited:
All the details up on the Mizuno Europe site:

st-g-adaptability.png

All the details up on the Mizuno Europe site:

I didn't realize how much loft you can add/remove with the Mizuno drivers. Versus most other adapters, the extra ~0.75 degress of loft on the extreme ends could be really useful during fitting.

Next year might be the first that I give Mizuno a real shot at the top end of the bag. Putting out some real good stuff

I really liked my time with the JPX900 and I know they've made some serious strides since then. I'm hoping to give some of the newer batch a swing this weekend. Their price point is pretty good and even this at 499, will probably sit lower than many others come Jan/Feb.

I really liked my time with the JPX900 and I know they've made some serious strides since then. I'm hoping to give some of the newer batch a swing this weekend. Their price point is pretty good and even this at 499, will probably sit lower than many others come Jan/Feb.
If the performance is there and it warrants the upgrade, the price is the price. But change for the sake of change is a thing of the past (ish)

If the performance is there and it warrants the upgrade, the price is the price. But change for the sake of change is a thing of the past (ish)

I had to do a double-take to see if that post was really written under your name.

Great write up, James! The adjustability is really attractive to me. Thinking it through, for someone like me who wants more of a fade bias and higher launch, the toe weight would go all the way to the rear and the other weight would go in the middle slot? I think that's it. With an additional weight or two, you could really fine tune somethings. Or drive yourself batty.

The release date is a few days before my birthday. Hmmm!

I like the looks and it's versatility. I use the stz and wonder how much better the stg is? Will have to try it.
It’s not a better or worse thing honestly, this one fits in between the other two and can do a lot of what both do, I do think there’s much more fine tuning here and to me it looks better at address.

Great write up, James! The adjustability is really attractive to me. Thinking it through, for someone like me who wants more of a fade bias and higher launch, the toe weight would go all the way to the rear and the other weight would go in the middle slot? I think that's it. With an additional weight or two, you could really fine tune somethings. Or drive yourself batty.

The release date is a few days before my birthday. Hmmm!
Correct on the adjustments! That would be the setting!

It’s not a better or worse thing honestly, this one fits in between the other two and can do a lot of what both do, I do think there’s much more fine tuning here and to me it looks better at address.

I love you you put this...

My set up. I still toy with forward our back in the slots being used, and I’ve bumped it up 1 notch from standard. 0993837B-9054-45AB-9590-F7FC6690DFEC.jpeg

I’m really digging it. I leak too much to the right, but that’s my set up. And i fixed that the last 4 holes i played, parring all 4 with decent, accurate drives. I need to position the ball farther forward in my stance…that’s a work in progress.

but I’m very happy with this club, very happy. No kaboom baby, and good riddance😆.

once i get the stance work done, i may resume placing both weights left and right for distance, but that’s tbd.

Last edited:
I’m really digging it. I leak too much to the right, but that’s my set up. And i fixed that the last 4 holes i played, parring all 4 with decent, accurate drives. I need to position the ball farther forward in my stance…that’s a work in progress.

but I’m very happy with this club, very happy. No kaboom baby, and good riddance😆.

once i get the stance work done, i may rename placing both weights left and right for distance, but that’s tbd.
That’s good stuff!

I always thought their drivers were underrated.

I was one of the few with an MP-001.

Thought it was a great driver for circa 2005.

Back