Mizuno ST-G220 Driver

I've actually not weighed mine yet, but I will tomorrow for ya.

I do think its important to put out there that this one is not as forgiving as the ST-X in terms of the MOI and weight placement, that one will still be the most forgiving of the trio. This one though obviously offers the most versatility of the trio.

Thanks.

Weird though, I've hit my 190G much more consistently than the ST-X. With the 'G', I have both weights in the draw track and the head at 10°. My 'X' has the 11g weight in the port and set at 10.5° (square face), and just hasn't performed as well. Both heads are right around 198g from what I recall. In any case, might still have to check out the new one soon.

Thanks.

Weird though, I've hit my 190G much more consistently than the ST-X. With the 'G', I have both weights in the draw track and the head at 10°. My 'X' has the 11g weight in the port and set at 10.5° (square face), and just hasn't performed as well. Both heads are right around 198g from what I recall. In any case, might still have to check out the new one soon.
They’re pretty different designs though, both the 190 to the 220 (particularly where the weights are on the head makes a big difference) and just where the X, 220, and Z fit in the whole scheme of the lineup, the three give them a super robust fitting matrix for sure.

They’re pretty different designs though, both the 190 to the 220 (particularly where the weights are on the head makes a big difference) and just where the X, 220, and Z fit in the whole scheme of the lineup, the three give them a super robust fitting matrix for sure.

Most definitely!

As much as I’ve decided to like non-fade biased drivers as I get a little older, the ‘X’ didn’t seem to stay consistent like the 190G (never did try the 200G). If I can’t get the confidence off the tee in check, I may take a dive in to the 300 Mini, especially since my 3-wood is a no brainer there. Since my ‘old’ Mizuno driver is in my second bag, residing in another state, I’ll really be chomping at the bit to try the 220…or just buy another previous ‘G’.

Little time in the cage today with this driver. I need some dialing in. I am getting great ball speeds but I am hitting it really low. I kinda want to swap to something a bit more mid launch and spin.

7DC7376B-633C-49CB-AF72-0A83B34128CF.jpeg

I'm attempting to get my swing weight up to get a little more kick. My D1 turned to D4 with a lotta lead tape... :ROFLMAO: More ball speed by putting
weights in front, offset by lead tape in back - we will see.

weighMizuno Sole G220.jpg

Little time in the cage today with this driver. I need some dialing in. I am getting great ball speeds but I am hitting it really low. I kinda want to swap to something a bit more mid launch and spin.

View attachment 9023154

Tried a D5 swing weight to give it some kick or are you past that SW?

Tried a D5 swing weight to give it some kick or are you past that SW?

Currently at D3. I am ok with that weight I would rather try something else. When these are released I may swap for a 10.5 degree head.

Currently at D3. I am ok with that weight I would rather try something else. When these are released I may swap for a 10.5 degree head.

My instructor who collects data, and represents TPT Golf Shafts, says D5 is a starting point, especially for higher speed types. That's the only reason I mentioned it.

I'm attempting to get my swing weight up to get a little more kick. My D1 turned to D4 with a lotta lead tape... :ROFLMAO: More ball speed by putting
weights in front, offset by lead tape in back - we will see.

weighView attachment 9023156

Why not just get another weight from Mizuno? They are 7g which would put your SW a hair higher than what you want. Still, pretty close and much less hideous than all the tape.

My instructor who collects data, and represents TPT Golf Shafts, says D5 is a starting point, especially for higher speed types. That's the only reason I mentioned it.

Interesting.. I get where he is at. I am not sure I agree with all of it but I can’t say he is wrong either..

Last edited:
Interesting.. I get where he is at. I am not sure I agree with all of it but I can’t say he is wrong either..

Jon does a lot of data gathering - and teaches PGA,Champions Tour, Korn Ferry, LPGA Players, Collegiate. I am his charity case. Before Covid, I was getting better ... it's taken five months now to start to get my swing and confidence back. Since returning from SC, I've played about 6x and finally making headway with swing and speed. But that's only in the last week. Golf may be fun again.

His fittings are pretty intense. lol.

So, IMO, the X sounds/feels better for what I want, its got more "thwack" to it where this has a little more pitch in it, BUT, its still a damn good sound that isn't at all what I would call unpleasing.

I've sort of settled in here at 9.0 and 3* upright for the time being with both weights in the draw setting for my needs. What I'm getting there is a neutral flight for me that is leveling in that 30-33 yard range most times and spin with the Nippon M+ I'm also reviewing is LOW 2,000's.

This is a lower spinner than the X for me so far by about 200-250 RPM's, it also is much more naturally neutral to fade biased.

Hoping we see the other gents from the Mizuno Experience continue to jump in here with feedback! (y)

I went with a 9 degree head at the Mizuno experience. My swing right now is off a bit. But I need to change something to get this more air born.
I don’t want to add loft to the head by adjustment because i can play a club that looks closed.
I am currently looking at some shaft change options that are a bit more mid launch. That shaft that came in it is the rdx black. It’s a great shaft and I have played it before.
This head is just very low low and I am not swinging great at the moment.

I think with some adjustments I (to my swing aswell) can get this thing unlocked big time.

I went with a 9 degree head at the Mizuno experience. My swing right now is off a bit. But I need to change something to get this more air born.
I don’t want to add loft to the head by adjustment because i can play a club that looks closed.
I am currently looking at some shaft change options that are a bit more mid launch. That shaft that came in it is the rdx black. It’s a great shaft and I have played it before.

I think with some adjustments I (to my swing aswell) can get this thing unlocked big time.
Heavier weights and put those B's back?

View attachment 9023154
11.0 at that speed though.....whats the peak? It's got to still be over 100 feet, yeah?

11.0 at that speed though.....whats the peak? It's got to still be over 100 feet, yeah?

Not sure. most recent I think i am at like 8..

If you’re looking for mid-high launch …
53CE4D3D-077F-4F75-8B85-0444B36AA06B.jpeg

I made a few swings with this yesterday. I had not really had a chance with my shoulder bothering me but decided to see what would happen on the range. I know for a fact my speed is a bit down right now with my shoulder issues. It is also causing me to have a difficult time getting in good positions so control of course is an issue but all that aside, I am liking what I see. I was a bit concerned on launch because I generally play a 10.5* and this one is a 9*. Granted, it has a different shaft from my other driver and I was launching that one a bit too high. This one seems to be right in the sweet spot with this pairing on launch.

It just feels and sounds fast when swinging. Even though I know as noted above my speeds are down a bit. I am not sure why that is but I noticed the same thing at Myrtle Beach. Just something about it when I swing it tells my brain “this thing is quick”.

I enjoy the sound when hitting balls as well. It’s not high pitched and titanium sounding but not dead either. It’s a nice in between that to me is appealing.

I was a bit surprised on distances yesterday knowing my speeds are down. I was seeing about 260ish carry which is definitely not way short for me as I was expecting. I know I can hit it further when at 100% but that was impressive for me considering the situation.

All in all what little time I have with it so far I like. I wish I was in a position to really swing it like I am capable of to give a better evaluation for my game but all things considered I think I am going to really enjoy it even if it may be awhile before I can really get after it.

Little change.
C8C7AABF-2E46-458D-B8C0-1C80197D833D.jpeg0E1F912F-AEE1-484B-BC76-2FE6354B09B1.jpeg

That is a great looking combo

Back