Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

Thanks for the note! Where can we purchase the heavier weight (didn’t see it on Mizuno’s site)? I take it you also need a special wrench to remove and install the weights?

Went through a friend at Mizuno for the weight. Just like many out there, it's a tamper-proof Torx bit (I think T25). It also takes some heat to break the thread locker loose or the hex will strip, which leaves you drilling it and using an extractor.

Fantastic combo

8AA570F5-2C6D-450C-AD2C-9A2FF3DEB99F.gif

I see this driver and maybe one other becoming a bit of a cult classic.

interesting. as floored as i am by the fairway, perhaps i ought to take some swipes with the driver too.

It is really good and at a very good price. I have heard rumblings from some that they think it is slow. I personally have not seen that at all. While I would not say it is the hottest it is not slow.

I was able to demo both the STZ and the STX. I started with the STZ and was seeing a very nice launch window for me and the spin seemed manageable. I wasn't able to get any data, but I was hitting outdoors on a windy day and everything looked decent, but I wasn't seeing anything that would make me want to jump. I was about to leave and decided to try the STX, but thinking it would be too high spin. I was completely blown away by this club. Consistent draws with a penetrating ball flight and the sound and feel was amazing. I'm going to try to get by the PGATSS and get some numbers, but am VERY tempted to go all in on the STX.

It is really good and at a very good price. I have heard rumblings from some that they think it is slow. I personally have not seen that at all. While I would not say it is the hottest it is not slow.
Man, I’ve not seen that at all. It’s toe to toe with Rad, 721, and ZX for me on the GC2

Man, I’ve not seen that at all. It’s toe to toe with Rad, 721, and ZX for me on the GC2

Same. I think it has to do with a driver test that was done.. So people are getting ideas and drawing conclusions that may not exist for them.

Same. I think it has to do with a driver test that was done.. So people are getting ideas and drawing conclusions that may not exist for them.
Or that is a complete load of ****. But that’s for a different time.😀

Or that is a complete load of ****. But that’s for a different time.😀

haha.. Cant wait till July to discuss..

Same the x and z use the same adaptor as the last couple years of ST, right?

We built a 12° ST-X with a Kinetixx Launch shaft today... It was a fun driver to hit, I was surprised by how well it performed.

We built a 12° ST-X with a Kinetixx Launch shaft today... It was a fun driver to hit, I was surprised by how well it performed.

That’s awesome.

Can I ask why 12 degrees?

Well, I have questions about reviews en masse where the driver is not fit to anyone. It is a disservice. There is a lot one can do with adding club head mass and shaft fit, loft, lie, length, etc that will make a seemingly okay driver into a ball speed and consistency monster.

Well, I have questions about reviews en masse where the driver is not fit to anyone. It is a disservice. There is a lot one can do with adding club head mass and shaft fit, loft, lie, length, etc that will make a seemingly okay driver into a ball speed and consistency monster.

I agree..

Can I ask why 12 degrees?
@JB built a 43’ inch XXIO driver, then we built a 10.5° Tour Edge driver at 45 inches... and I saw the 12° head & thought it would be fun to test and compare to my gamer Driver (9° Epic Max LS) ...

Also I was the one learning how to build, and wouldn’t have felt that bad if I messed up the 12° head...

Last edited:
@JB built a 43’ inch XXIO driver, the we built a 10.5° Tour Edge driver at 45 inches... and I saw the 12° head & thought it would be fun to test and compare to my gamer Driver (9° Epic Max LS) ...

Also I was the one learning how to build, and wouldn’t have felt that bad if I messed up the 12° head...

I tend to think of a higher lofted driver with a shorter length shaft as a second driver. I am experimenting in that realm and wondered if you were doing the same. Going so short will do terrible things to the swing weight - either really heavy weights, if available, a heavier shaft, and/or hot melt are needed.

I am thinking that more mass in the head with a heavier SW will give you some more ball speed but it's all a balance.

I tend to think of a higher lofted driver with a shorter length shaft as a second driver. I am experimenting in that realm and wondered if you were doing the same. Going so short will do terrible things to the swing weight - either really heavy weights, if available, a heavier shaft, and/or hot melt are needed.

I am thinking that more mass in the head with a heavier SW will give you some more ball speed but it's all a balance.

For me this goes back to how much loft plays a role vs design. The XXIO Prime head in a lower loft launches higher, spins more, etc than that of the 12* Mizuno head.

For me this goes back to how much loft plays a role vs design. The XXIO Prime head in a lower loft launches higher, spins more, etc than that of the 12* Mizuno head.

That ... is interesting!

Back