Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

Don't leave it up to me to decide haha
Here's what's going to happen.

I'm going to make a questionable decision in the next day, and then I'm going to 180 by the time I play a round with it and we're going to have to do some work hahaha

The Mizuno ST-X I ordered came in! 🦾

I like it so far - attractive to look at, sits nice, and as others have commented sounds seems pretty good in the bay. I am digging the deep face.

View attachment 9004224View attachment 9004225View attachment 9004226

First session numbers show some good potential.
View attachment 9004227View attachment 9004228View attachment 9004229
Good looking driver and good potential for sure! I really need to figure out how to demo this bad boy.

Good looking driver and good potential for sure! I really need to figure out how to demo this bad boy.

Or you could just blind order like me. My LGS chose not to stock Mizuno, and I hit literally everything else on the market, then chose to buy this, because... obviously!

Here's what's going to happen.

I'm going to make a questionable decision in the next day, and then I'm going to 180 by the time I play a round with it and we're going to have to do some work hahaha

Related to the above, my blind ST-X order maybe shoulda been a -Z. 🤷‍♂️ Tough to say with no demo. Here's hoping the -X is where my game is at!

Or you could just blind order like me. My LGS chose not to stock Mizuno, and I hit literally everything else on the market, then chose to buy this, because... obviously!
I am definitely a blind purchase type of guy so I can relate! Haha. My Speed Driver, 4wd, XF UT, Apex Pro hybrid, and Apex Pro irons are all blind orders, because...obviously! 😂:cool: I have pondered a blind ST-X purchase many times over the last coupe months. Hopefully it works out well for you!

Now this, on a cold cold morning, I will take and RUN.
F84166B8-5F10-466A-996A-2531342CFBD6.jpeg

Same ball speed, 300 more RPM of spin, similar launch to the C721 but 4 yds less carry?
And way more consistency with that added spin. No ball falling out of the sky sensation.

And way more consistency with that added spin. No ball falling out of the sky sensation.
Interesting wouldn't think that small an increase would make that much difference. Same lofted head or similar shafts?

Interesting wouldn't think that small an increase would make that much difference. Same lofted head or similar shafts?

That sub 2000 range is where things start getting scary for me too. I'll take a smooth 2200 over 1900 all day long. One wrong twitch that 1800 rpm ball is ducking out of sight on me.

Remember though, the two I posted today are on center strikes. So what happened on that miss location that drops spin? One stays playable, the other is a Niekro knuckleball

Tagging @ddec to see baseball reference :ROFLMAO:

The best range in town is starting to have demo days again. Lookiong forward to trying this driver. I am happy for the local Mizuno rep. He works his butt off but everyone used to only hit his irons clubs and maybe the hybrid until now.

@Jman what made you decide on the Z rather than the X?

@Jman what made you decide on the Z rather than the X?
I have the X and not the Z, might have flipped that in a comment earlier? I play a natural fade, after getting to talk to Chris Voshall when we were at THP HQ and he shot the driver review video in the first post, the design of the X made the most sense based on weight placement without adding to spin.

The best range in town is starting to have demo days again. Lookiong forward to trying this driver. I am happy for the local Mizuno rep. He works his butt off but everyone used to only hit his irons clubs and maybe the hybrid until now.
My favorite sounding driver out there this year.

Left a bit stumped after 9 this afternoon and the new shaft in the ST-X.

Hit 5 majestic drives around 300 yards not moving more than 5 yards off line. I mean absolutely nothing more I would want out of a driver.
Hit 2 absolute screamer snap hooks that were probably over 100 yards left. Not a normal miss for me.

🧐

Hit 5 majestic drives around 300 yards not moving more than 5 yards off line. I mean absolutely nothing more I would want out of a driver.
Hit 2 absolute screamer snap hooks that were probably over 100 yards left. Not a normal miss for me.

🧐
That, sounds like golf. :LOL:

This thing should be called the ST-X FFB... Fairway finder with bomb mode....

IMG_20210426_172352.jpgIMG_20210426_172320.jpgIMG_20210426_172258.jpg

13B8D3FD-FB17-40CB-B36A-BDCBB0F6E61B.jpeg
Plan on finally getting this out in Ohio tomorrow for a range session tomorrow evening. But things I noticed in Vegas was how great this driver looks when framing the ball on the tee, and I really enjoy the look at address with the slightly closed face it looks really great to my eye. Setup from Vegas had this head paired with a UST Mamiya LIN-Q Black 6F4 which feels really great paired with this and was able to gain quite a bit more ball speed compared to my previous driver and steadily maintain a 2200 spin with the head. The 10.5 is turned up to 11.625 to get a launch between the 12-14 degree window. Club comes in squarely at a C9 sw and at 44.5” play length. Was able to lose a great bit of side spin as well with this in the process and allowed me to avoid the extreme right miss.

Hit the range this evening and was thoroughly ecstatic about hitting this as I’m glad to report that the big right miss is dead 🪦. This combination of head and shaft is really working well as once I was able to groove a swing. It would produce a penetrating ball flight with a gorgeous baby fade that felt like a howlitzer firing off the face. I really like the sound from these as they are by no means loud to the ears nor have that typical dull sound from some other carbon crown heads. Tee time this Saturday and I can’t wait to get to the first tee to absolutely abuse the ball with this. (Also want to use the Divide so I can watch it land, hard to follow those white range balls once they get out there)

🧐

I've had my first round on course with the ST-X Sunday, and have been having a little bit of similar experience so far. Left is a usual miss for me, and I tend to live more off the toe than the heel. I couple of my toe side misses have over drawn a fair bit - maybe not more than they deserved, but its there. It took me a few holes to settle in. My last 4 drives of the day were near perfect. Some of this is just my driver swing, I'm keen to see how a few more rounds play out.

I will say, it looks fantastic at address, and the sound is very positive as well. Echoing comments from others, it is not as damped as some carbon drivers, it has a more medium tone to it. Quite good.

Range session if work and weather cooperate tomorrow

Range session if work and weather cooperate tomorrow

Did not happen tuesday, but schedule allowed a range session. Great to get out there and swing again considering last time i grabbed a club was Thursday morning in Vegas. The clubs were literally haunting me. Session went well. It is amazing how i could not possibly get a ball to slice with the STx! Some great draws and mostly straight bombs out there. head feels good and sound is great!

Forgiveness on this thing is key... hit some high / low and toe, not on purpose but just some bad swings in the dozen or so balls I hit with it. obviously not the preferred flight / distances, but all are playable which was the key during the fitting. Limit the miss and make sure I have a 2nd shot.

Back