Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

Hit the ST-Z again today. 9.5 turned down 1 deg, I think. Whatever lower means.. Hit it with the Motore F3 and then RDX Smoke. Solid, good ball speeds, nice lower spin head. Sound is muted but gives enough crack to feel powerful. The F3 shaft launches too much for me but feels fantastic. I think it would be dreamy in a fairway. Bang for buck, hard to beat.

Hit the ST-Z again today. 9.5 turned down 1 deg, I think. Whatever lower means.. Hit it with the Motore F3 and then RDX Smoke. Solid, good ball speeds, nice lower spin head. Sound is muted but gives enough crack to feel powerful. The F3 shaft launches too much for me but feels fantastic. I think it would be dreamy in a fairway. Bang for buck, hard to beat.

can confirm. motore f3 is very dreamy in the fairway.

I've already ordered the ST-Z 3w and am trying to hold out on buying the matching driver until I can actually hit it outside when the courses open in a few weeks. I don't know if I'll last that long. :)

So, my driver game has kind of sucked for a while now. I wanted to mix things up a bit so I grabbed the STx head from THP HQ to give it some reps while the season gets started.

Honestly, I deserved less than what I was given today out there. It surprised me in such a positive way. With the 10.5 head my flight was a lot flatter and lower than i was expecting (which could be my new norm, who the heck knows) but the shape I'm chasing, which is a fall off the line draw, was very much a real thing again.

I've got another round scheduled for Sunday that I'll be able to share a lot more thoughts after, but man - I am impressed. Especially on the toe side high, it's looking very competitive out there.

So, my driver game has kind of sucked for a while now. I wanted to mix things up a bit so I grabbed the STx head from THP HQ to give it some reps while the season gets started.

Honestly, I deserved less than what I was given today out there. It surprised me in such a positive way. With the 10.5 head my flight was a lot flatter and lower than i was expecting (which could be my new norm, who the heck knows) but the shape I'm chasing, which is a fall off the line draw, was very much a real thing again.

I've got another round scheduled for Sunday that I'll be able to share a lot more thoughts after, but man - I am impressed. Especially on the toe side high, it's looking very competitive out there.

What shaft do you have in it?

Also, I haven't had enough of a driver game to have anyone give me a "wow" after a drive in quite some time.

I got three "Wow" comments today from middle aged dudes. It felt effing great.

That's awesome to hear. Were you a fade hitter with other drivers? Seeing vosh turn this way over has me leaning ST-Z...

Excited to see you put this on in play, that picture looks great. My ears really perked up at the end when you said toe side high - I lurk out there from time to time.

That's awesome to hear. Were you a fade hitter with other drivers? Seeing vosh turn this way over has me leaning ST-Z...
I was really interested by that as well. Fade hitter, no.. Weird inside dive which forced a cut hitter? Oh yeah.

Seems to me that I'm having better luck squaring this one up. Even hard out on the toe it wasn't turning hard left at all.

I was really interested by that as well. Fade hitter, no.. Weird inside dive which forced a cut hitter? Oh yeah.

Seems to me that I'm having better luck squaring this one up. Even hard out on the toe it wasn't turning hard left at all.
Well guess I have to come on down this month.

I've already ordered the ST-Z 3w and am trying to hold out on buying the matching driver until I can actually hit it outside when the courses open in a few weeks. I don't know if I'll last that long. :)

@tahoebum you are setting a strong example with the 3w purchase. You've got me shopping for deals in a second browser window.

For some useless trivia, that driver head has the "non-standard" 4g aluminum weight in it versus the 11g steel weight (which is blue). Not sure what length you are playing it, but the SW could be goofy if the head is light. Could be worth trying with the other weight, but then again, it might turn over more.

ST driver weights.jpg

Really like the reviews on these drivers. Trying to get my spin to 2400 down from the 2800-3000 range in my SIM Max with my Speeder Vl.
Dont know with a 88-90mph SS if I should go with a X or the Z? Dont have a direction issue, as I'm pretty straight. When I miss its off right or left due to poor alignment/setup. I'm just leaving distance on the table due to spin.
Also considering the Evo II 569 or the Tensei 50 Orange shafts. Thank you and stay safe

For some useless trivia, that driver head has the "non-standard" 4g aluminum weight in it versus the 11g steel weight (which is blue). Not sure what length you are playing it, but the SW could be goofy if the head is light. Could be worth trying with the other weight, but then again, it might turn over more.

View attachment 8996385

It SW at D2.

Let's see:unsure: Waiting for a MP-T20 Raw Wedge and ST-Z 5 wd/Motore F3 6 ...:censored: darn Covid. Patience.;)

I’ve spent the last 5 days with the STZ 9.5 +1. Really really loving it.

Also, I haven't had enough of a driver game to have anyone give me a "wow" after a drive in quite some time.

I got three "Wow" comments today from middle aged dudes. It felt effing great.
Dammit Dan. You’re making the wait even harder 🤣

Is it 3/11 yet?

first round with the stz fairway. i am in LOVE. one shot off the deck didn't go well because i suck, but 3 shots off the tee really stand out. one, i hit it as far as my playing partners who were not short hitters, both of whom wanted more info about the club after that shot! another, i went through the fairway on the line i typically take on this whole with a towering shot. and the third is a very intimidating shot that needs to be very precise, and i couldn't have placed the ball more perfectly after a subtle cut. the output from this club as a FIVE WOOD is simply stupid.

and sound/feel is just perfection for me. so classic. and the shape is phenomenal as well. not too deep, not too shallow. just perfect.

Picked up a ST-Z 5 today after debating with myself whether to pull the trigger. Hit a few today but hope to do a thorough warm up and try again tomorrow after work. Two things that are instantly noticed is the way the carbon crown really frames the ball is really appealing to my eyes, and it sounds incredible coming off the face. If sound is a important aspect to a club this is the nicest tone I’ve heard off the face as it doesn’t sound dense as other woods I’ve tested have in the past.
14AAA923-A648-4B74-8417-04B5A4EEF962.jpeg

Back