Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

Sneak peek at tomorrow's Holiday Cheer prize....And it has a premium shaft in it too.

Oh fun! Mizuno is still underrated in the woods category.
This is going to be a sweet prize!

Someone is going to be extra cheerful tomorrow - these drivers are gems. Amazing prize.

Sneak peek at tomorrow's Holiday Cheer prize....And it has a premium shaft in it too.

I bought the ST-x with the Riptide shaft last month and have been having fun with it since. Went to a TopTracer range yesterday and confirmed, with a headwind and range balls on a 50 degree day, that the ST-x is 12 yards (6%) longer and more accurate than my Ping G400 Max, which has been the best driver I've owned. When I caught it right with almost no wind blowing, about 25% of the time, my drives were over 220, which I have not seem in a while.

Some THPer is going to be very happy.

I’ve still never seen a Mizuno wood in the wild. They look great and the CLK hybrid is pure money. I imagine the drivers are as good as any on the market.

Don't sleep on today's prize.
I believe that ST-X head was fit for almost everyone that was in the Shaft Up experiences this past year.

Deeper face and draw biased with a nicer head shape that the Z (IMO) is such a great option.

love my STZ...trying that shaft in it is an appealing thought. good luck to those who enter.

Played the ST-x tonight in our sim league and hit 4 of 6 fairways. On one of the misses, I drove through a dogleg, and on the other, I hit it off the toe and wound up in the right rough and about ten yards shorter than average. It's a longer, more consistent, and better-sounding upgrade to my Ping G400 Max, and I didn't think I was going to find that kind of upgrade. I still haven't dialed it in yet, but I'm already as confident as I was with the Max.

Played with two guys tonight in sim league, both of whom commented on how well I was hitting driver. My miss was a fade to the right rough but most shots were nearly straight, about 220+/-5. The Riptide shaft feels responsive but not whippy. I’ve never felt this confident in my driver - and I called the G400 Max “my fairway finder.”

Was hitting balls at lunch, the guy that owns the place said they were selling some demo stuff. Got a barely hit STZ with an Atmos Ts black for a whopping $150. Couldn’t resist that deal. Haven’t hit it yet and love my current driver. Figured it doesn’t hurt to have a back up driver lol

Was hitting balls at lunch, the guy that owns the place said they were selling some demo stuff. Got a barely hit STZ with an Atmos Ts black for a whopping $150. Couldn’t resist that deal. Haven’t hit it yet and love my current driver. Figured it doesn’t hurt to have a back up driver lol

that is an incredible deal. love the ST-Z

Holy steal to end the year! That’s a great price and a pretty not bad driver.

Been playing a Mizuno ST-Z with a Diamana White 60S for about a month and absolutely love the feel and distance I am getting. I will never again overlook Mizuno woods!

I got the ST-X as a part of this year's Holiday Cheer giveaway. I've hit it a couple of times at the range. One of those was at a range in my hometown and the golf balls looked like they had seen 30 years of hard use. I couldn't get any of them to launch with any consistency. The ball would come off the face hot and then dive down. I was disappointed, but knew the conditions weren't ideal. I hit my normal range yesterday and got better results. Some shots launched low and hit several hooks, but I also hit some absolute bombs. Long, high, dead straight. I'm going to play around with the adjustments and see what works. There's some definite potential there and I can see why people are excited about these. I'll report back after I get some more time with it.

Range balls are extremely suspect. I can launch the balls in my bag 270 carry pretty easily with my ST-Z, but when I go to the range they fall out of the sky. I know for a fact that I'm just terrible hitting off of those "range tees", but the delta in performance from range balls to real balls is gigantic.

Been playing a Mizuno ST-Z with a Diamana White 60S for about a month and absolutely love the feel and distance I am getting. I will never again overlook Mizuno woods!
Check out the ST-Z fairways as well. I swear I've never hit such smooth, forgiving clubs. I even skied my 3 wood (we don't talk about it) but it still went 200 yards and dead straight.

Check out the ST-Z fairways as well. I swear I've never hit such smooth, forgiving clubs. I even skied my 3 wood (we don't talk about it) but it still went 200 yards and dead straight.

Totally agree with this poster. The ST-Z fairway is an absolute gem. If you love either the Z or X driver, then the Z fairway should be an automatic additon to the bag.

I’m so curious what the new Z driver has going on…

I’m so curious what the new Z driver has going on…

i am, too but i definitely need to resist...self-christmas has wrecked my checking account

Last edited:
The X is really well done MOI wise, which helps tame that toe-hook and heel-fade, they’re not non-existent, but they’re lesser than a lot of drivers I tested this year.
James how does the X play versus the G? Might those of us with less speed get enough spin to increase distance? I am about the Mizuno mainly because i have 3 shafts from which to work with.
Can you see any increase in distance with the x? For the average old guy:rolleyes:? Thanks!

STZ + LINQ Purple F4 = purply purple surprise.

Do you make a purchase? :love:

Already had the stz in a riptide CB but picked up the purple from Mike G... Surprisingly smooth with my mosh pit macarena of a swing. We'll give it a few days before declaring all out victory, tho. It is giving me second thoughts about my stealth order... But that's crazy talk that don't go 'round here

Already had the stz in a riptide CB but picked up the purple from Mike G... Surprisingly smooth with my mosh pit macarena of a swing. We'll give it a few days before declaring all out victory, tho. It is giving me second thoughts about my stealth order... But that's crazy talk that don't go 'round here

"mosh pit macarena of a swing", gave me a good laugh, thanks for that.

I got this shipped in today.

Got it on eBay for $202.50.

34267E51-C565-43EC-897B-0B6754BC85B1.jpeg

69DA733A-19B4-48DC-AF58-184902775F04.jpeg

4A231F22-211B-46F7-A5CE-96D9719585DA.jpeg

It is a little hard to hit without a shaft. If I can figure out how to get a fitting I will take care of that. And since I got a new adaptor with it that might come in handy.

Back