Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

i'm positively giddy about this thing. looks. feel. performance. everything i could every want in a fairway, right here. i hope more people try this thing, particularly those who are looking for stable spin without left bias.

Man, you are killing me! Or more precisely, my LGS is killing me. Stopped by last night and found out they are not stocking any of the new Mizuno woods, in addition to my findings over the weekend they are not stocking new putters either. The comment was, that the woods were a hard sell next to all the other OEM's so they stepped back.

I was all excited to hit both the Driver and Fairway. That is now going to be a challenge.

Looks like a ship date of 3/11 for my order 😢

Looks like a ship date of 3/11 for my order 😢
I need to call and see what my ETA is. We amazingly have golf like weather so I'm getting the itch and want to start taking some swings.

Isn't it about 4-5 weeks for custom? Not terrible.

I'm in love with the shape, sound, and overall looks of the ST-Z 3 wood, so I ordered one today without really knowing which shaft order as I'm not known for my patience. :)

I bought the HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX, and if it's not right I have plenty of shafts laying around I can put in it.

what was your exact build?
Driver with smoke black RDX and 5w with Motore F3, on 1/28, it’ll be well worth the wait. I’m not stressing it, just ready to put them to work!

Driver with smoke black RDX and 5w with Motore F3, on 1/28, it’ll be well worth the wait. I’m not stressing it, just ready to put them to work!

How is that Motore F3 shaft for trajectory and spin? I've never hit one but I almost ordered it(and still could order) in my ST-Z 3 wood that I'll dial down to 13* and primarily use off the tee a handful of times each round. I ordered the smoke Black RDX for the 3w.

How is that Motore F3 shaft for trajectory and spin? I've never hit one but I almost ordered it(and still could order) in my ST-Z 3 wood that I'll dial down to 13* and primarily use off the tee a handful of times each round.
I’ve not been able to use one yet, but the feedback on them in fairways got me to jump. I’ll definitely put up thoughts.

I’ve not been able to use one yet, but the feedback on them in fairways got me to jump. I’ll definitely put up thoughts.
I need to know NOW!!:ROFLMAO: You are making me doubt my RDX order that just went in today, lol.

How is that Motore F3 shaft for trajectory and spin? I've never hit one but I almost ordered it(and still could order) in my ST-Z 3 wood that I'll dial down to 13* and primarily use off the tee a handful of times each round. I ordered the smoke Black RDX for the 3w.

not sure i swing like you, certainly i don't swing as fast or aggressively as @Jman but i have loved the motore f3 in 7s in the 5w so far. just feels about perfect for me. had a ventus red 7s in my mav 4w and it never felt "right." i never knew where the head was. but with the stz and motore f3, i feel very aware throughout the swing. well-struck shots have a perfectly stable flight, i haven't seen any draw bias whatsoever, but there is great spin to stay in the air and carry very very well.

not sure i swing like you, certainly i don't swing as fast or aggressively as @Jman but i have loved the motore f3 in 7s in the 5w so far. just feels about perfect for me. had a ventus red 7s in my mav 4w and it never felt "right." i never knew where the head was. but with the stz and motore f3, i feel very aware throughout the swing. well-struck shots have a perfectly stable flight, i haven't seen any draw bias whatsoever, but there is great spin to stay in the air and carry very very well.

I'm going to run up to the PGA Superstore today and hopefully they will have that Motore f3 shaft that I can hit. Right now I can still change my order. My club doesn't have a demo yet and neither does the local Golf Galaxy. I hate getting a new club with a shaft I don't like but I constantly do it because I'm so damn impatient, lol.

Update: I got over the the PGASS and was able to compare the Diamana D+ White against the Motore F3 and the Diamana was the better shaft today for my swing. I had more consistent contact and about 10 yards more distance on solid hits with it as the Motore was a bit too spinny for my swing. Strangely they didn't have the HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX available but I'm leaving my order alone and taking a chance it will fit me well.

Last edited:
I'm going to run up to the PGA Superstore today and hopefully they will have that Motore f3 shaft that I can hit. Right now I can still change my order. My club doesn't have a demo yet and neither does the local Golf Galaxy. I hate getting a new club with a shaft I don't like but I constantly do it because I'm so damn impatient, lol.

Update: I got over the the PGASS and was able to compare the Diamana D+ White against the Motore F3 and the Diamana was the better shaft today for my swing. I had more consistent contact and about 10 yards more distance on solid hits with it as the Motore was a bit too spinny for my swing. Strangely they didn't have the HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX available but I'm leaving my order alone and taking a chance it will fit me well.

good update. makes sense. i need the spin, so that’s probably why the motore worked so well for me.

good update. makes sense. i need the spin, so that’s probably why the motore worked so well for me.

It's awesome that today we have so many choices in quality shafts, many at no upcharge. I remember the first 15 years I played and steel was pretty much the only choice(mostly True Temper) and many of the OEM stock graphite offerings were not great quality and certainly not a good fit for my swing.

It's awesome that today we have so many choices in quality shafts, many at no upcharge. I remember the first 15 years I played and steel was pretty much the only choice(mostly True Temper) and many of the OEM stock graphite offerings were not great quality and certainly not a good fit for my swing.

Yes, it's great that we can purchase a Fwy for $300 with a $275 Aftermarket Shaft.

Yes, it's great that we can purchase a Fwy for $300 with a $275 Aftermarket Shaft.

The debate will always rage on about "made for" or real, lol.

My club like most has a merchandise/equipment buying program so they discount clothing/sunglasses/shoes about 37% and clubs anywhere from 15%-25%. I don't know how much my STZ 3W is yet but somewhere around $250+tax. It makes it even easier to buy new and shiny. :)

The debate will always rage on about "made for" or real, lol.

My club like most has a merchandise/equipment buying program so they discount clothing/sunglasses/shoes about 37% and clubs anywhere from 15%-25%. I don't know how much my STZ 3W is yet but somewhere around $250+tax. It makes it even easier to buy new and shiny. :)

These are real according to everyone. (insert joke here) Yes, I can buy it at $249.

I had the chance to demo the ST-X today with the stock Evenflow 50g 5.5 shaft and I loved it!! I was carrying the ball just a bit further than with my BB21 and I got a good pit more roll out. The sound is better than I expected, the look is awesome and the forgiveness is there as well. I would love to add this to my bag, but just put new tires on one car and now I have to have about $500.00 worth if air conditioner work done on the other so a new driver is frimly on the back burner.

I stopped by PGATSS specifically to look at the Mizuno Fwy -- the 5 wood is the most attractive fwy I've seen in years. The 3 wd looked forgiving and large - lots of face to hit that ball. The size of the 5 wd was a bit more svelte. Made me want to buy one ... I started sweating.:LOL:

Fortunately, they only had them in Even Flow Blue, which looks great with that head. I was going for Motore just because ...

Went to Miles of Golf today in Fairfield and looked through the new Mizuno lineups. These drivers and woods look sharp and hold up in the eye test vs the other manufacturers. Place was packed so no chance to test but I am impressed with how they look setup to the ball.

had a long practice session this morning, and spent some time with my stz 5w. it’s just so freaking good. lasered a target at just over 230 and was carrying that green with good swings. and the feel is just spectacular. off the tee it was carrying over the green. i just can’t get over how far this club goes for a 5w.

had a long practice session this morning, and spent some time with my stz 5w. it’s just so freaking good. lasered a target at just over 230 and was carrying that green with good swings. and the feel is just spectacular. off the tee it was carrying over the green. i just can’t get over how far this club goes for a 5w.

You had me at over 230 carrying the green.:oops:

Ordering in morning. Now where is that gift cash card?:cool:

If I can get 215 carry, there goes the 3 wd from the bag, and I can join @JB in the 2 driver setup.

I'm getting more and more concerned that I should have ordered 5 wood instead of 3. I guess we'll see though.

I'm getting more and more concerned that I should have ordered 5 wood instead of 3. I guess we'll see though.

Back