Mizuno ST-X and ST-Z Driver Review

I'm looking at the ST-X to compete with my Mavrik 10.5, which on occasion I hit a little lower than I'd like.

Any thoughts on whether I might be better off with the 12?

I'm looking at the ST-X to compete with my Mavrik 10.5, which on occasion I hit a little lower than I'd like.

Any thoughts on whether I might be better off with the 12?
Are you saying a 12 degree STX?

I can say I went the two-driver route recently and my Mavrik is set to 12.5 with a 43" shaft and the STX is my long driver.

I think both are great drivers and probably could fit either scenario. The shaft will probably be the determining factor in getting the ball to have a lower more penetrating flight.

Another great round yesterday. Best score of the year.

The STX has been more consistent for me and I continue to find really good distances off my mishits. My biggest mishit is toe high. The STX driver has tremendous forgiveness.

Another great round yesterday. Best score of the year.

The STX has been more consistent for me and I continue to find really good distances off my mishits. My biggest mishit is toe high. The STX driver has tremendous forgiveness.
That also tends to be my mishit. Does the ST-X create a really bad knuckly pull hook when you do that or is it not too bad? That's usu my concern with a draw biased driver.

That also tends to be my mishit. Does the ST-X create a really bad knuckly pull hook when you do that or is it not too bad? That's usu my concern with a draw biased driver.

I have not found the STX to hook even though it is more draw bias. My normal shot is a fade. When I get that high toe mishit, I find the ball holds a similar line. The distance isn't as good, but comparable. My normal drive is running about 230 on average. My mishits are running about 220. I will take just a 10 yard shorter drive keeping the ball in the fairway. The consistent flight has really helped keep my ball in the area I am looking to hit. I have hit much more fairways, yesterday I hit 8 out of 13 fairways for 62%. For me, that is a nice number and I will take that every round.

Yep, I’m wondering how much higher the 12* STX will go than my 10.5 (set to 11.5) Mavrik.

Yep, I’m wondering how much higher the 12* STX will go than my 10.5 (set to 11.5) Mavrik.

IMO if you are playing the Mavrik at 11.5 the 12* ST-X seems like a safe bet. I have a 9* Mavrik set to 10, and a 10.5* ST-X set to that stock setting. I feel like the ball flights are pretty comparable.

IMO if you are playing the Mavrik at 11.5 the 12* ST-X seems like a safe bet. I have a 9* Mavrik set to 10, and a 10.5* ST-X set to that stock setting. I feel like the ball flights are pretty comparable.
ST-X 12 will be fine. The head is very forgiving and launch/spin combo is pretty darn good. I am building a 12 degree head as we speak. Been playing the 10.5 head...

I don't know the peak height because that really depends on a bunch of factors in your swing and what shaft you are using.

However, looking at the hosel adjustments. If you are using the 10.5 driver at standard, you should be able to take that to 12.75 degrees, change the lie anger from 59 to 60.5 degrees, and close the face by 3 degree. (This is what the website says)

Currently, I have the settings at the notch between Lower and Upright. This should have my settings at 9.375 degrees, changed the lie angle to 61.25, and opened the face by 1.5 degrees.

Considering the recent post on launch, I've decided that the only issue I'm having with the X is that it seems a touch low launching set at 10.5. Going to experiment, so just ordered a Rogue Elite Orange for it, which should bring the ballflight up a little.

Considering the recent post on launch, I've decided that the only issue I'm having with the X is that it seems a touch low launching set at 10.5. Going to experiment, so just ordered a Rogue Elite Orange for it, which should bring the ballflight up a little.

I have also found the X to be lower launching, so I’ve been playing it set at one click “higher” and with a Ventus Red

What the heck, I've ordered a 12* STX. It comes with a RIptide (which suits) but I plan on trying out my Ventus and AD VR.

For those who would like to try one almost risk free, 2nd Swing have mint used ones with 15% off and free shipping.

Mine ended up at the princely sum of $260.

What the heck, I've ordered a 12* STX. It comes with a RIptide (which suits) but I plan on trying out my Ventus and AD VR.

For those who would like to try one almost risk free, 2nd Swing have mint used ones with 15% off and free shipping.

Mine ended up at the princely sum of $260.

That is a steal. Sounds awesome, have fun!

Just ordered a ST-X 10.5 head only from ebay to compare against my ST-Z. Just didn't like the shaft options from Mizuno so want to try the HZRDUS RDX and a Ventus i have lying around.

I have also found the X to be lower launching, so I’ve been playing it set at one click “higher” and with a Ventus Red

That would normally be the answer for me as well, but with this adapter, you can't bump the loft without it affecting the face angle. Don't mind the lie adjustment, but much prefer the face to be square.

As far as I know, all adapters change face angle when you change loft. That's how they work.

Some let you adjust lie angle separately (Titleist/Ping) to mitigate this.

As far as I know, all adapters change face angle when you change loft. That's how they work.

Some let you adjust lie angle separately (Titleist/Ping) to mitigate this.

Don't believe this to be the case for Titleist. I can adjust my 917d3 or (recently departed) TS3 without affecting the face angle unless intended. IMHO, Titleist adjustability is unmatched.

Great read and information everyone provided. I went through all the posts and was wondering any recommendations where to order the STX or STZ from and are the lead times currently running 5-6 weeks now? Thank you in advance.

Last edited:
Great read and information everyone provided. I went through all the posts and was wondering any recommendations where to order the STX or STZ from and are the lead times currently running 5-6 weeks now? Thank you in advance.
Yeah, lead times are out there right now. If you go custom, you’re likely going to wait. If not, I’d holler at Budget Golf and see what they’ve got. And tell them you’re a THP’er (and use that discount code!)

Yeah, lead times are out there right now. If you go custom, you’re likely going to wait. If not, I’d holler at Budget Golf and see what they’ve got. And tell them you’re a THP’er (and use that discount code!)

Awesome I didn’t even think about that. I’ll be giving Budget a call then. Thanks a lot for the suggestion Jman much appreciated Sir!

Awesome I didn’t even think about that. I’ll be giving Budget a call then. Thanks a lot for the suggestion Jman much appreciated Sir!
Happy to help!

I don’t believe discounts can be applied to this driver.

I think you are correct due to manufactures restrictions is what’s shown in their site.

Good thing too!! I don’t need to buy another driver, or I keep telling myself that!!

I don’t believe discounts can be applied to this driver.
Hence why I said to call them and let them know you’re a THP’er ;)

Back