Mizuno ST-Z Fairway Woods

5W and I haven’t been getting along well lately, just remembered this thread and the TXG review.

I think the shop I frequent still had a couple of these, will need to check. Family and work keeping me away from golf more than I would like right now.

@Jman or anyone else: is the 5 wood still in the bag?
I currently don’t, but I’m about to play in the Morgan Cup this week so my bag is occupado ;)

That said, it’s still my favorite 5 wood, ever. So good.

Reactions: MH
I finally got the STZ 3w out for the first time today cranked up to 16. Was very impressed as I could never hit 3w’s well and didn’t carry one for about 3 years.

To my surprise it was fairly easy to elevate even off the deck with a smooth easy swing. Maybe it was just a fluke or the honeymoon stage but looking forward to go out with it again.

I have a handful of rounds in with the 3 wood and I really like it. It’s a bit on the bigger side but it performs for me both off the tee and from the deck. The flatter lie angle really works for me, I’m not ready to say it’s the best or longest 3 wood I have ever hit but it is a good one and will most likely still be in the bag next spring

My 3 wood has arrived, so now I just need to pick it up sometime this week before I play again.

I finally got out and played last week for the first time since June. The ST-Z 3w was a beast off the tee. Love it.

I went on Trackman today and the Mizuno 3 wd (at 1 Up lie angle) was consistently long and consistent. The height was more than enough at 89-90 mph swing speed to give 210 carry on Trackman with a total of 230.

It's odd how the faster I swing, the better the head feels and how high I can get it.

I asked my instructor what's the cut-off in general for a 3 wood - he said about 90 mph - so I am at the cut.:ROFLMAO: But I am on the Stack System.

The Mizuno was slightly longer than the Epic Speed and Honma TR21 4 wood but then both are 16.5 and 42.5 inches. Wondering what happens if I put a 43 inch shaft into those clubs. What I like about the Honma Fwys is that they are more compact and playable out of more difficult lies. The Mizuno is definitely for the fairway and tee.

Playability and how you use a 3 wood is important. Those big 3 woods can go chunky unless you've got a great lie. I'm starting to prefer a more compact head for ease off the deck use.

A big 3 wood off the tee and maybe a 42.5-43 inch 5wd off deck at 16 deg - smaller head, more playable.

Last edited:
I was just at the range. Grass tees were closed so I was hitting 3w straight off the mat, no tee. What a freaking hoot easing ball after ball out there with great trajectory!

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a ST-X fairway yet. I've just bought the previous incarnation the ST200-X 3W and really, really like it.

I probably would have bought a newer version had it been available. Though I did see in a review that an X draw biased version is expected next year.

Since there isn't an ST200 thread on here I'll put my thoughts in here. How easy are these to get off the deck, even on range mats?!! They look good, sound good and the face feels great. Most of them went straight too, which for a higher handicapper is fantastic.

Very impressed with this Mizuno wood. Makes me wonder about the drivers now...

I was just at the range. Grass tees were closed so I was hitting 3w straight off the mat, no tee. What a freaking hoot easing ball after ball out there with great trajectory!
Isn’t it surprising how easy it is to elevate given the depth of the face? They’re just cannons.

Isn’t it surprising how easy it is to elevate given the depth of the face? They’re just cannons.

They really are easy to launch off the deck. My range session translated to the course on Saturday. I rarely hit 3w off the deck, but launched one from deep range on a Par 5 over a pretty good stand of trees, trying to get home in two. As I was hitting the shot, I would have preferred to go around the tree to the left with a cut. It was the right shot for the hole. But that is not my best most reliable shape, and I knew if I missed a little and hit straight or my standard stock draw I would probably get over the trees. Sure enough, I failed to pull off a cut and hit mostly straight, but it still cleared the trees 🔥.

3w.jpg

Last edited:
They really are easy to launch off the deck. My range session translated to the course on Saturday. I rarely hit 3w off the deck, but launched one from deep range on a Par 5 over a pretty good stand of trees, trying to get home in two. As I was hitting the shot, I would have preferred to go around the tree to the left with a cut. It was the right shot for the hole. But that is not my best most reliable shape, and I knew if I missed a little and hit straight or my standard stock draw I would probably get over the trees. Sure enough, I failed to pull off a cut and hit mostly straight, but it still cleared the trees 🔥.

my course swing hasn't been very good, and this club has been my biggest struggle off the deck. the swings are NOT good, though, so it's really just led to a loss in confidence and hesitation to pull it.

but this past weekend i decided to grind on the range for awhile, and gave this club got a workout. and boy was it fun! if i have a knock on it, FOR ME when i miss the middle i see pretty substantial distance dispersions, and it gets very shapely. a toe miss will hook and hook hard. a heel miss will slice and slice hard. but squared up, the flight is so perfect to my eye.

off the tee really is where this club shines for me. with my shallow attack, and this club's deeper face, it's hard for me to find anywhere but the bottom of the club when i'm hitting off the deck. so i'm thinking i might turn it down in loft, and play it exclusively as a tee option.

I was able to hit my 3 wood once yesterday. I hit it well except for the push right. I just need to keep working on controlling the direction better with my longer clubs.

my course swing hasn't been very good, and this club has been my biggest struggle off the deck. the swings are NOT good, though, so it's really just led to a loss in confidence and hesitation to pull it.

but this past weekend i decided to grind on the range for awhile, and gave this club got a workout. and boy was it fun! if i have a knock on it, FOR ME when i miss the middle i see pretty substantial distance dispersions, and it gets very shapely. a toe miss will hook and hook hard. a heel miss will slice and slice hard. but squared up, the flight is so perfect to my eye.

off the tee really is where this club shines for me. with my shallow attack, and this club's deeper face, it's hard for me to find anywhere but the bottom of the club when i'm hitting off the deck. so i'm thinking i might turn it down in loft, and play it exclusively as a tee option.

Below are two 3 woods - same loft. On the right, you have more shallow and compact, and on the left, a really good tee club. I am about to take off any lead tape I have on it to lighten up the SW. The big head needs a really good, lush, even lie, or a tee.
IMG_0832.jpeg

I'm kind of surprised there isn't a ST-X fairway yet. I've just bought the previous incarnation the ST200-X 3W and really, really like it.

I probably would have bought a newer version had it been available. Though I did see in a review that an X draw biased version is expected next year.

Since there isn't an ST200 thread on here I'll put my thoughts in here. How easy are these to get off the deck, even on range mats?!! They look good, sound good and the face feels great. Most of them went straight too, which for a higher handicapper is fantastic.

Very impressed with this Mizuno wood. Makes me wonder about the drivers now...

I thought the same thing at first. Ended up taking a chance on the ST-Z fairway, as I need to replace my 917f3 anyway, (cracked). Considering I game the ST-X driver, and X fairway would seem logical, but I ended up setting the 3 wood in the most upright setting and standard loft of 15d. As others have said, just so easy to hit off the deck. No issues at all with the right side. Absolutely no need for an X model.

with all the mizuno goodness coming with the victory cup, i put the stz 5w back in the bag. mine is all stock. i had to bench it due to some swing issues and in a fitting (when those swing issues were, well, still issues) another club beat it for launch and spin. i hit the stz several times in my round on tuesday and it was fantastic. admittedly my swing issues still don't produce enough dynamic loft and the apex is lower than optimal, but i still hit some very high quality shots (by my standards) and enjoyed the hell out of this. it was good having it back in the bag, where it is absolutely staying for the foreseeable future.

Just picked this up to replace a 17 degree hybrid. This 5 wood with tour black is a beast. Much higher flight without being spinny. Found a weapon into par 5s. Great head with tour black. Most 5 woods are too spinny for me. Even on a tight lie this was carrying to my number.

Back