Mizuno ST-Z Fairway Woods

I'm pumped to find out! Right now I'm debating on whether to loft it up 1* like I originally planned or let it ride in stock setup and see what happens. I have a tournament Saturday and that might be my first chance to get it on the course.

That looks awesome. Straight into the tournament on Saturday - that is the way 🔥

Reactions: KEV
3w head should be here soon, I hope!

Alright, I was finally able to get the STZ 3 wood on the course and had a great time with it! First of the looks and sound is perfect. Mizuno absolutely crushed it in those departments. We had heavy wind today so distance is tough to gauge but here were my results.

- my first swing with it was a tee shot. I hit it very well and saw quite a high ball flight with a little fade. I was surprised but how high I hit it and even my brother made a comment about it.
- the second shot was from the Fairway. I a
made really good contact and the ball had a nice, penetrating flight but elevated easy. I pulled it just a hair but it was quite easy to hit off the deck. The ball went pretty much dead straight flight wise.
- the third shot was from the tee. This one was a bad strike resulting in a big push fade (there was a highway on the left that I was afraid of).
- the final shot was again off the deck. This time I hit it a little chunky but I was surprised how far the ball still went. Don't get me wrong, it lost a pretty considerable amount of distance but I guess I expected it to be worse.

Overall it was about 50/50 on success but seemed quite promising. It feels great and when I have it a decent swing it seems to perform. It gave me something to look forward to for sure.

Looking to try another, less draw-biased 3w, and this may be the leader atm. Combination of looks, more neutral setup, and performance reviews have me very intrigued. Now I just need to find one to test.

Looking to try another, less draw-biased 3w, and this may be the leader atm. Combination of looks, more neutral setup, and performance reviews have me very intrigued. Now I just need to find one to test.
I came from a Mavrik 4 Wood (and 3 wood prior to that) and this already seems less draw biased. This 3 wood also seems as easy to launch as my Mavrik 4 Wood did. It's still super early in the experiment though so there's a good chance my next round I hit worm burners with it :ROFLMAO:.

i love it. i don't have an aggressive transition at all, though. i love making a decent swing on this thing and seeing a mid/high trajectory, incredible feel, and excellent stability. i have a little more wear slightly toward the heel, though, so i'm wondering if i should go a little flatter.

I really like the Motore X F3 60 - the 5 wood launched well and had a beautiful piercing flight with that mid-high launch. I'm tempted to loft it to 19 and get the 3 wd at 15+. I am such a short knocker that I may need two fairways; the Motore may have enough kick to give me a great carry. But I did knock it pretty far for me. Probably hit the best 5 wd of my life with it and in a crosswind. Nice slight draw. Need to collect more data over next two weeks.

Looks like 3W head on Monday now :confused:

First extended range time with the 5 wood - I am in :love:

it’s freaking fantastic isn’t it?!

Shot after shot - just consistent. You feel free to whale away at it.:LOL: At least on the range.:oops: But it also worked on the course:D

Now the wait begins...

Pulled the trigger on a STZ 3w with Ventus Blue. I can lose confidence pretty quickly with driver, and when I do, I often turn to 3w for the remainder of the round.

I was able to test a 3w with the Motore shaft, and despite the tape over plastic, it still felt fantastic. If I would have gone with that shaft though, I probably would have gone 60g version. Absolutely love how this head looks at address. I know it will be awhile, but I’m VERY excited to get this fairway.

Now the wait begins...

Pulled the trigger on a STZ 3w with Ventus Blue. I can lose confidence pretty quickly with driver, and when I do, I often turn to 3w for the remainder of the round.

I was able to test a 3w with the Motore shaft, and despite the tape over plastic, it still felt fantastic. If I would have gone with that shaft though, I probably would have gone 60g version. Absolutely love how this head looks at address. I know it will be awhile, but I’m VERY excited to get this fairway.

Have you gripped down on the driver?

I also ordered the 3 wd a few weeks ago - with Motore F3 60g R flex - they do not carry it at my retailers. Ordered it at 42.5 and D3. We'll see how it goes. I don't like a fwy over 42.5 inches. Already have the 5 wd in this setup. Ball gets up there nicely. Will diddle with the loft and lie to see what works.

It’s here! Used, but not abused! Definitely needs a reshaft from the 50 R for me before taking it out. LINQ gunmetal?

F6545146-D369-4057-8437-DF91D69223B4.jpeg281D6B82-90C5-4BB4-9A3E-4C616D2E37B8.jpeg374515A1-251B-4E47-931E-44627183A1F7.jpeg

Hmmm, 50R? Sounds like you should just ship it to Maine! 😉🤣
Haha, hell it took USPS 13 days to get it here from OH, that would be another month! :ROFLMAO:

New club day!

ACA1AD7B-87F8-44F4-93D0-79FFC05258AC.jpeg
699A5E76-3932-4AC2-A35C-EC536537EBAB.jpeg66675C93-2E47-4DAB-87A7-1A2D3513D38E.jpeg

Quick ball speeds today... 3-4 mph off Driver. All shots off the deck, no tee in use.
2F1E7B14-80FB-483C-8343-021E59D58880.jpegF050ECF1-7F4A-4BBD-BCBA-E742FD8E2E83.jpegAA658F3F-D9A7-4EF9-822A-750AB71BC5BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Just pulled adapters off my 3 and 5, waiting on a Ventus Red but going to slap a Ballistic into the 3w and 8X Coool into the 5w 👀

How’s this compare to your typical results? Asking for a friend ;)

It seems fast. Based on just a handful of shots today, I was not launching the ball real well, but that is more on me today than the club. I did hit a few high that show potential. Also had more little spin than my last 4w which is perhaps a good combo, lots of speed, and a touch more spin. Last season I played a Mavrik SZ 4w (fitting results from last season here) that I bought because it was a high launch low-spin bomber that was really consistent for me, and carried farther and came in steeper than a typical 3w. This seems to easily keep up on speed, the rest of it I really need to have some more swings, preferably on course!

Little curveball. Put an ACCRA 2.0 270 into the 3w instead and went ahead and put the 80’s gram Kinetixx Ballistic fairway shaft into the 5w which is a smarter pairing.

Putting them into play today. (y)

Little curveball. Put an ACCRA 2.0 270 into the 3w instead and went ahead and put the 80’s gram Kinetixx Ballistic fairway shaft into the 5w which is a smarter pairing.

Putting them into play today. (y)

Cool. Was that a weight progression choice, heavier in the 5w?

Cool. Was that a weight progression choice, heavier in the 5w?
Yeah, that’s the dominating factor. I also have a different 3w shaft coming so I didn’t necessarily want to have to re-trim and re-grip the Kinetixx later on.

I had my maiden voyage with the ST-Z 3w on Sunday. I would offer all positive things to report so far. Opening tee shot was on the 1st tee - I caught it a little off the toe but it flew nicely and drew back to the center of the fairway. Second attempt was the 4th hole, the most difficult driving hole on the course with a creek that crosses twice, once on front of the fairway, and again in front of the green (dogleg left, think 13th at Augusta only 400 yard par 4.) I was able to hit it perfect, a draw out of the middle that split the landing area, leaving maybe the best approach I've had on the hole. Third attempt was another perfect draw out of the middle that split the fairway on the 8th. The 12th hole is another dogleft left with double-river crossings... this time I blocked right into the next fairway over, but I pured it.

Lots to like so far. I use this mostly as a tee club, and it seems well suited. The Motore shaft pairing seems nice so far, I am pleased with the how much I can lean into the 7x. Very responsive.

7X Ventus red is here 👀

Back