Mizuno ST-Z Fairway Woods

After having the 3 wood in my bag for a few rounds now I may be putting it up for sale soon. I love this thing when I hit it well but I've struggled with consistency. I absolutely piped a tee shot with it today that felt so good and went long but those kind of shots are few and far between. I think I may just be more comfortable with a little smaller footprint these days. It kills me that it's not working because I love the look and feel of it.

After having the 3 wood in my bag for a few rounds now I may be putting it up for sale soon. I love this thing when I hit it well but I've struggled with consistency. I absolutely piped a tee shot with it today that felt so good and went long but those kind of shots are few and far between. I think I may just be more comfortable with a little smaller footprint these days. It kills me that it's not working because I love the look and feel of it.

what is the specific inconsistency? strike-related? seeing too much variance across the face for different strikes?

what is the specific inconsistency? strike-related? seeing too much variance across the face for different strikes?
I'm just not hitting center of the face with it. Of course that's on me but I just don't get that comfort level with it that I have with fairways in the past. I think it comes down to the shape. I thought I would love it if the tee but it's just not clicking.

3 wood is that old faithful go to club for me and I need to find the right fit again. I'm an idiot for selling the two I've loved from the past.

I'm just not hitting center of the face with it. Of course that's on me but I just don't get that comfort level with it that I have with fairways in the past. I think it comes down to the shape. I thought I would love it if the tee but it's just not clicking.

3 wood is that old faithful go to club for me and I need to find the right fit again. I'm an idiot for selling the two I've loved from the past.
Oh come on Kev, you only have another month before it starts snowing again, you can make it last thru the season! :p

g425 max is another really good one if you’re looking for some spin. i didn’t try the new callaways because they’ve been so low spin for me recently.

Reactions: KEV
Hit the 3 and 5 on the range today and they were going strait to little fade. The sound off the face of these is my favorite I’ve heard from fairway woods. Height of shots seemed consistent as far as where I hit it on the face. I can hit center heel to toe but need to get more consistent on where I strike it height wise but the results were straight and the flight corresponds with the strike spot on.

hit the 5w twice today. once from 240 into a par 5 was just short of the green. the other from 220 tried to hit a little 3/4 cut and, um, it didn’t go so well.

hit the 5w twice today. once from 240 into a par 5 was just short of the green. the other from 220 tried to hit a little 3/4 cut and, um, it didn’t go so well.

better to have tried and failed then to have never tried at all. That you tried shows that you have the confidence in the club and it looks like your first attempt was dang good.

Not installed yet, been busy coaching all these teams that made state!:LOL:;)
Don’t these kids realize you have clubs to test..

These are sleepers. I’m totally positive of it now, that these stand up against anything out there. Maybe not the max speeds I got with one or two others, but the blend of tee and deck ability for me is pretty standout.

3w has been a hoot

These are sleepers. I’m totally positive of it now, that these stand up against anything out there. Maybe not the max speeds I got with one or two others, but the blend of tee and deck ability for me is pretty standout.

3w has been a hoot

that sounds pretty pleasing to me.

I want a new 3 wood/5 wood badly....... haha

wanting to do a 3+ possibly just for a low bullet runner. Then something in the 18* range for better gapping..... 3 rounds in a row i have had a distance to a par 5 that was around 220 or so.... too short for a well hit 3 wood/it wont stop, but hybrid wouldn't have a decent chance....

have an extra space in the bag with only 13 clubs haha

that sounds pretty pleasing to me.
legit.... I just want my fairway wood to be easy to get off the turf, spin decently, and fill a gap....

I’m really, really looking forward to the 3w I have coming. Driver has been a disaster of late, so I rely heavily on 3w/hybrid off the tee. I like my current 3w a lot, but I think I’ll benefit quite a bit from something less draw biased.

I had a great round with the 3w today. I played forward two sets of tees with a group from work, about 6250 yds total. As such, I played 3w a bunch from the tee in order to position correctly on course. In total, hit 5 of 5 fairways in regulation off the tee, notably strong for me. Sixth attempt I was trying to drive a Par 4 from the tee, missed green about two yards right pin high and bounced down the bank a bit for an easy chip on. Toe hits, heel strikes, thin, all stayed in play, all six had a nice small draw save the Par 4 I was trying to drive stayed dead straight and barely missed the green. All of them were out there pretty well. I really like how this one sounds and feels, even mishits are really good.

My playing partners were commenting on the 3w tee shots all day, and back-to-back bullets on 11th and 12th may have been the best two shots of the round.

I had a great round with the 3w today. I played forward two sets of tees with a group from work, about 6250 yds total. As such, I played 3w a bunch from the tee in order to position correctly on course. In total, hit 5 of 5 fairways in regulation off the tee, notably strong for me. Sixth attempt I was trying to drive a Par 4 from the tee, missed green about two yards right pin high and bounced down the bank a bit for an easy chip on. Toe hits, heel strikes, thin, all stayed in play, all six had a nice small draw save the Par 4 I was trying to drive stayed dead straight and barely missed the green. All of them were out there pretty well. I really like how this one sounds and feels, even mishits are really good.

My playing partners were commenting on the 3w tee shots all day, and back-to-back bullets on 11th and 12th may have been the best two shots of the round.

are you finding this club to be neutral, or slightly draw bias? i only ask because you said most of the shots had a small draw and i wasn't sure what your typical shot shape is.

are you finding this club to be neutral, or slightly draw bias? i only ask because you said most of the shots had a small draw and i wasn't sure what your typical shot shape is.

I would say neutral, my natural shot shape is a draw and all draws were very controlled today. It's not prone to over-draw for me. I can also move it right if I want to, which is nice.

I would say neutral, my natural shot shape is a draw and all draws were very controlled today. It's not prone to over-draw for me. I can also move it right if I want to, which is nice.

awesome. yeah i'm seeing the same thing. i have barely missed left at all, and i LOVE that.

Amazing how these have altered my entire perception of Mizuno metalwoods.

They hang with my SIM’s, but are more playable at the same time even with the deeper face. The speed off the 5w in particular is surprising and paired with the Kinetixx now it feels like cheating a lot of the time from tee and turf. 3w I’m still finding the right pairing, but I think the Ventus Red just has to be it.

my on course results have been a mixed bag. i’m seeing a lot of shots a little low on the face where spin kicks way up and the ball doesn’t go very far. reminds me of cobra f7. off the tee it’s been really fantastic. just need to find a better groove off the deck when it matters. interestingly out of the tee this thing seems to launch SUPER high.

Back