Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
For as much focus as golfers give Mizuno for their iron lineups, their wedge game has always been quite strong. That said, they don’t always garner the attention that others do, but the company hopes to change that with their new T22 wedges

4-1024x692.jpg

Mizuno T22 Wedges

The T20 was a highly thought of wedge release for Mizuno, one that offered some fun finishes and a decent amount of tech within a sleek forging. But there has seemingly always been a chase for the company in their wedges when it comes to the shape and flow, with the T22 they are once again looking for refinement. 

While the T20 was a good performer, visually it just lacked that “smoothness” which many expect from Mizuno. The way the toe sat...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:
Great writeup, these look fantastic! I like the weighting story, the grind options, and the Quad Cut grooves. And that Copper denim finish is sexy.

• Staff
They, IMO, finally nailed all aspects of a wedge design here.

Can’t share data with you yet, but, I’ve played the HECK out of these since the event and they’re everything I want a wedge to be. I’ll be taking a break from them for an Experience, but I’ve no doubt these will be back in the bag come October and going forward.

• Staff
ALSO….

The way the raw patinas…..

2E11DAFC-6A61-4010-B961-49999D78B3A1.jpeg3603B0B0-41F4-45C0-A945-DFB00AACCE96.jpeg82CA6815-9717-495D-851F-BE2A38737FF5.jpeg

That Denim Copper looks amazing! I have always been a big fan of Mizuno wedges and have owned several sets of them. These look and sound like they have the potential to be a really special release.

No denim copper in lefty? Nuts. That's a good looking finish. Does it patina at all?

• Staff
No denim copper in lefty? Nuts. That's a good looking finish. Does it patina at all?
It will, and hopefully some of the guys from the Mizuno Experience will come in here and show theirs off.

Those look like it checks all of the boxes. I really like the denim copper finish as well - I just don't think I would want to play it. My driver / woods are these big black heads, irons are shiny silver then it looks like my wedges would be a weird old rust look. The look itself is amazing and if all of my irons could be that same color scheme I would be all in on it, but other than silver the only thing I can see my wedges going to would be black.

I’ve not ever been as confident using wedges as i am with these. I think once i got used to smaller head the rest just sort of feel into place. Oh, I’ve sold my old wedges so…no going back!

and yes the copper does patina and I’ll get some pics of that later.

great write up James!

I want these!!! I have been looking to add new wedges to my bag and these are on the short list. Just gotta move a few things before pulling making up my mind for sure and pulling the trigger.

the raw looks great. kinda torn between that and the copper.

when the mizuno experience guys chime in, i'm especially curious to hear about the grind they're playing. why they went with that grind. and how it's performing. i'd especially love a little more info about the c vs x grinds. while i'm no short game maestro, heel relief is something i typically need and not sure whether c or x would suit me better. currently playing x grind in my jaws md5.

These just look really really good. My 50 is getting up there in age, and I’m not locked in 100% to matching wedge sets. My current are struggling to always fill the yardage gap it was replaced for, so I’m not sure I want to take that gamble a third time if I don’t have to!

These just look really really good. My 50 is getting up there in age, and I’m not locked in 100% to matching wedge sets. My current are struggling to always fill the yardage gap it was replaced for, so I’m not sure I want to take that gamble a third time if I don’t have to!

please tell me you still have those Tour Preferred wedges in the bag, that seemingly only you and I liked.

That raw denim finish is 🔥🔥🔥🔥!

The beveled edge tightening up the lines might be my favorite feature of this product.

Add in the copper finish, fantastic contact presentation, and super iron-like grinds for my 50-54 picks, and I am just hugely fond of these.

please tell me you still have those Tour Preferred wedges in the bag, that seemingly only you and I liked.

No, but man I miss those. The ATV grind and I got along wonderfully.

SM6 50, SM 8 54-58.

when the mizuno experience guys chime in, i'm especially curious to hear about the grind they're playing. why they went with that grind. and how it's performing. i'd especially love a little more info about the c vs x grinds. while i'm no short game maestro, heel relief is something i typically need and not sure whether c or x would suit me better. currently playing x grind in my jaws md5.
Really good question. I honestly don't know what grind they went with.

Are the grind options comparable to what you’re playing now? I always have a hard time tracing wedge grind similarities across platforms.

Are the grind options comparable to what you’re playing now? I always have a hard time tracing wedge grind similarities across platforms.

i have no idea! i'm hoping some of these guys have experience and can let me know. and i agree, oems are using the same letters but those letters don't mean the same thing across their respective brands. not that they have to, but it certainly adds confusion, for me at least.

The Copper will get a lot of early buzz, but the chrome looks great too.

C375571B-A189-457B-9FAF-0DD9DDC9AF85.jpeg

T22 Wedges. In sum, superb.

I played the T20 for 1.5 yrs. That's long for me and I liked them but I needed a better fit for my swing and a different look.

Then the THP-Mizuno Experience put these in my hands. These are my par savers and make birdies possible wedges. I can be very aggressive with them. Copper layer makes them softer than a baby's behind but responsive. Spin well and can roll out well depending on swing and loft. And when I say "spin well," I can target the hole with the 54 and rely on it to check, brake, roll a foot or two. Especially great on slight uphill slopes with the 54. When I want roll, I'll use the 50. For short-sided and high shots to minimize roll, the 58. They are also super out of the bunker in 54 and 58 (see the basket pic with the 58 on the right for the copper wear from the bunker).

Mine are set up more for the golfer who doesn't take much of a divot. I tend to give the grass a shave or slightly hit into the turf. Bounce is between 7-9 with lots of grinding in the 54 (D Grind) and 58 (C Grind). The 50 has the fuller S grind with tapering towards the heel. I have a Nippon 105 S flex. To answer @McLovin, the X Grind would not be enough bounce or room for error for me. I'd dig. I had a T20 in 6 of bounce and eventually grew accustomed to it but never took it to the course. WIth the C Grind, I can do anything in Texas' tight conditions. As I said, when I start digging and the turf interaction is not working, it's because I've narrowed/steepened my AOA. It reminds me to use my natural width and let go of all lag, and all is good in the world.

Thoughts after 6 weeks, 8 rounds, and lots of green side range time - I love all from the fairway or rough, the 50 is great from off the green. Have holed several shots with it, and they typically fall within an easy putt. The 54 is the same - great around the green and bunker; and I can say the same about the 58 in addition to out of the rough and Phil flops. The only thing I need to remind myself at times is width because of the low-mid bounce. If I get narrow/steep, you know what happens, they dig. So the wedges remind me, even on the rest of my game to come in with width. Of course, if you take a divot, they have higher bounce options. Depends on what you need.

It doesn't hurt that I can feel as if I can hole everything within 20 yards of the green.

Couple of pics

First is a closeup of the 54 so you can see wear ... the 58 has a slightly higher toe. As a set, they all blend well together.

IMG_0673.jpegIMG_0671.jpeg

Last edited:

I have the S grind 51 degree wedge, D 55 and X 60. The X is a bit lower bounce then I typically like but I have been working with it a lot and I am getting more comfortable with it. I went with the copper and while they show wear I actually really like how they look .

The 55 may actually be my fav out of the 3. It has become an extremely comfortable club that I know exactly how far it is going to go.

The slightly refined shape is great. Slightly straighter lines are more to my liking. One thing that Vosh said was a big critisizm of the T-20 wedge by their tour staff was the shorter bottom groove when compared to the rest. They addressed that and it is a full groove now. The feel is extremely solid.

Back