Tedfroop

One eyed and left handed
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 10.8
I can't believe I couldn't find a thread about these wedges on here. I have a few rounds in the books with them now and my love for them and confidence grows by the hole.
They are available in lofts from 45 to 62 in 1 degree increments and high/low bounce options for every loft with a few having medium bounce options as well. Head shapes and grinds change along with the loft and according to Mizuno the grinds get more aggressive as bounce decreases. Forged from 1025e Boron Steel these wedges have new quad cut grooves with more precise geometry on the four key areas of the grooves. (Shoulder radius, Pitch, Width, Depth) They claim better spin and longer life with the new grooves.

On the course this means high (really high) soft landing shots with easily controllable spin. The 52/9 I have peels turf like a scalpel, the 56/10 can make it explode on full shots and you can whack out a pie size chunks with ease with the 60/6. Versatility is excellent as well. Sand is no problem - first sandy of the year on my first bunker shot. My worst problem last round was hitting pins, quite literaly. Hit two the last round and the last one was on 18 where I pummelled the pin.

I've had mine for about 7 months and they work as expected. However, my 58* is wearing a lot on the sole. It looks pretty bad and I've never seen a wedge wear like it before. My other two aren't that way (50/54) so I assume it has to do with how frequently I practice out of bunkers with the 58. I'll try to get a picture up tomorrow.

Sorry for the delay, but here's the weird sole wearing on my T7 lob wedge:

C32E8BE0-08AB-421A-B0A9-8CD059BD31D3_zps05atl1xf.jpg

1287E53D-7EBD-439B-BF4F-FED131877A63_zpsm4oaswqx.jpg

It's not hurting anything, but looks poor. I've never seen another wedge wear like this and there is no major chunk of metal missing or anything (like from a rock chip) that would explain it. It's like it's just been gradually sanded/buffed off from a lot of use. And these are only 7 months old or so.

Back