Status
Not open for further replies.
I am very interested to see where Tanaka ends up.. I have a feeling it is going to be with the Yankees, but I am not sold on this dude. IMO he projects as a 2-3 starter, which isn't a bad thing, just depends on how much $$ it is going to cost.

He is certainly no Yu Darvish

I don't think its right to refuse to vote for any players from the era. If I had a vote I think I'd take the position that I wouldn't vote for anyone where I had reasonable knowledge that they juiced, whether they officially admitted it or were convicted (read: no go, Clemens). But I'd have to consider voting for people such as Piazza and Bagwell, where there is merely legit circumstantial info to raise eyebrows. And if someone got in that later turned out to be a juicer, so be it - you can only do the best you can do with the information you have.

Different topic...W/out looking at the numbers, Smoltz doesn't pass the sniff test for me and the HOF. Really good player. Super solid career. But just not good enough to be among the all time elites. Kind of like Petitte, at least to me.

I agree with you. Any voter that takes the stance that he/she won't vote for anyone that played during the Steroid era is ridiculous in my opinion. Like you said, I am all for not giving votes to guys that failed tests or have significant evidence against them. Someone like Bagwell - I honestly think people are suspicious of him, because he was a teammate of Ken Caminiti. If you are a writer and take that stance, then there really isn't a reason for you to have a vote for next 10-15 years so take it away from them.

On Smoltz - I have to disagree with you. I don't think he is first ballot HOFer by any stretch of the imagination, but I think he gets in. 215 career wins on the surface doesn't look like much. However add in the fact that he was the closer for 4 years/154 saves. He is the only player in major league history to have over 200 wins and 150 saves. Throw in 1 Cy Young award, 3,000 career strikeouts and I think he gets in.

Last edited:
at least his ballot voted for Maddux, I still want to hear from the other 15(since we heard from the 1) clowns who didn't

I missed something, what did he do wrong?

I missed something, what did he do wrong?

he let Deadspin and it's readers use his ballot to vote for the HOF. They picked the players, he turned in the ballot

Here's the ballot, actually not a bad one.

LeBatard-Deadspin-ballot-010814.jpg

its that kind of crap that just makes this whole process all wrong

I like that ballot, similar to how mine would be subtract Bonds and Schilling

Verlander underwent elective core muscle repair surgery today. Recovery time expected to be 6 weeks putting him a week late back to Spring Training. Still scratching my head with the trades and now this news.

Hmm I have been back and forth on him. His numbers are pretty solid for sure.

he had some good years, but I'm not sure enough good years. Like you I go back and forth on it. I think he will eventually get in(veterans committee). Imagine he had a year that he pitched over 290 innings? That's just crazy.

I would put Morris in for his WS game 7 performance alone but I am a Twins fan.

MLB 2013

you mean without Edgar

Actually if you vote in Frank Thomas, Edgar Martinez is not that much of a stretch. Martinez was probably a better hitter less the home runs.

Actually if you vote in Frank Thomas, Edgar Martinez is not that much of a stretch. Martinez was probably a better hitter less the strikeouts.

He is a little bit of a stretch compared to Frank the Tank.

Frank had over 200 more home runs, almost 500 more RBIs and all of this in only about 200 more plate appearances.

He is a little bit of a stretch compared to Frank the Tank.

Frank had over 200 more home runs, almost 500 more RBIs and all of this in only about 200 more plate appearances.

I agree that he shouldn't be in HOF, my point (not communicated very well) was that it wasn't a stretch to see someone vote for me.

Less of a stretch than Jacque Jones or Armando Benitez.

I would put Morris in for his WS game 7 performance alone but I am a Twins fan.

That was a great game. Definitely HOF performance

Actually if you vote in Frank Thomas, Edgar Martinez is not that much of a stretch. Martinez was probably a better hitter less the home runs.

He won't make it. But he may have been the best DH in the league for a good stretch of time.

If one game were enough to get into the HOF, it would have ten times as many people in it (though I believe Bill Mazeroski would not be in the hall but for one swing). Morris just doesn't have the resume. Even that WS season he had something like a 5.5 ERA.

That was a great game. Definitely HOF performance

He won't make it. But he may have been the best DH in the league for a good stretch of time.

Sent using Tapatalk on my Samsung Galaxy S4.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back