MLB deadening the baseball-golf next?

Probably not, although it gives a good example of a sport making a decision at the pro level for the betterment of the game.

Probably not, although it gives a good example of a sport making a decision at the pro level for the betterment of the game.
Wait, is this a dig implying that the golf ball needs to be changed for the “betterment of the game”?

I also find it hilarious that the MLB is being lauded for this when they’re the same league that has in the past “juiced” the ball in order to bring excitement and eyes.

I still think pitchers should each get custom balls with exotic cores so they can be tailored to their specific game. Like bowling. 😉

Wait, is this a dig implying that the golf ball needs to be changed for the “betterment of the game”?

I also find it hilarious that the MLB is being lauded for this when they’re the same league that has in the past “juiced” the ball in order to bring excitement and eyes.

I mean two teams hit over 300 homers a couple of years ago. Which was like 60 more than any other team had ever hit.

It needed to be changed. The game became home run or bust. I don't know if this changes that much, we shall see.

As for golf relation. MLB plays differenet rules than amateur rules. Hell there were rule differences within their own professional ranks. Golf could and should do the same thing.

I mean two teams hit over 300 homers a couple of years ago. Which was like 60 more than any other team had ever hit.

It needed to be changed. The game became home run or bust. I don't know if this changes that much, we shall see.

As for golf relation. MLB plays differenet rules than amateur rules. Hell there were rule differences within their own professional ranks. Golf could and should do the same thing.
Of course it needed to be changed, they needed to alter what they had altered already.

Comparing baseball to golf though is hilarious to me.

Nah, baseball doesn't have the problem where pros and ams play the same game, MLB balls have changed for these reasons many times over the years, it's nothing new.

Typically, sports is more fun to a fan if there's a lot more scoring. But golf is a different game. Most golf fans also play the game. And most cannot come close to the distance the pros hit. Watching DeChambeau or Dustin Johnson hit those booming drives is cool. But not realistic for 99 percent of us. Maybe watching players navigate the course without those booming drives gives us a little incentive to enjoy the game. And maybe incentive to improve other aspects besides driving the ball.

It’s always easy to get a little carried away. Baseball is a little different in that instead of deadening the ball they could raise the seams a bit to give more of an advantage back to pitchers.

Nah, baseball doesn't have the problem where pros and ams play the same game, MLB balls have changed for these reasons many times over the years, it's nothing new.
True. Baseball stat guys will usually cite “live ball” era vs “dead ball” era when making comparisons.

Baseball needed to do this, and as many have said, amateurs and professionals play by an entirely different rule set... That is something golf could most certainly take from baseball.

I was just going to say the same thing.. There was a thing called the "dead ball era" in baseball as well. It almost killed the sport..

"We want more homeruns, wait there's to many homeruns"
This is off topic but sort of on topic. This reminds of a video game.
I kid you not, has anyone ever played "mlbtheshow" on playstation?
Within the last few years there were so many players of the game complaining that homeruns were to easy to hit and that's all there were with no regular base hits. So within the game they tweaked some things to where homeruns became a little less common and base hits were more part of the game. BUT, this is a video game, everyone knows video games have major RNG'ing in them. So think about it, its a video game base hits were hit directly at defenders, there were essentially no base hits then and scores were 1-0, 2-1 to keep it more real life, with that one random homerun in there that the player knows they didn't hit it perfectly. You'd probably have to play the game to understand more of what I'm saying but hope you get the jist of it.
So in ending, the video game becomes real life now. Dead the ball to make the game harder to score runs. Which may lead to scientists making different steroid strains more harder to detect. I think as the years to come you'll potentially see more and more guys using something whatever that may be and more suspensions handed down.
Idk..

"We want more homeruns, wait there's to many homeruns"
This is off topic but sort of on topic. This reminds of a video game.
I kid you not, has anyone ever played "mlbtheshow" on playstation?
Within the last few years there were so many players of the game complaining that homeruns were to easy to hit and that's all there were with no regular base hits. So within the game they tweaked some things to where homeruns became a little less common and base hits were more part of the game. BUT, this is a video game, everyone knows video games have major RNG'ing in them. So think about it, its a video game base hits were hit directly at defenders, there were essentially no base hits then and scores were 1-0, 2-1 to keep it more real life, with that one random homerun in there that the player knows they didn't hit it perfectly. You'd probably have to play the game to understand more of what I'm saying but hope you get the jist of it.
So in ending, the video game becomes real life now. Dead the ball to make the game harder to score runs. Which may lead to scientists making different steroid strains more harder to detect. I think as the years to come you'll potentially see more and more guys using something whatever that may be and more suspensions handed down.
Idk..

I think this is a huge stretch.

Baseball has a problem with too many homeruns currently. The game has morphed into .225 hitters with 40 home runs. They are simply attempting to bring the home runs down little bit. This isn't some life-altering change, and I am guessing we won't see a massive impact to total HRs hit.

I love how big this none story is.. this absolutely cannot be correlated with golf..

In an effort to better center the ball, Rawlings has loosened the tension on the first of three wool windings within the ball. Its research estimates the adjustment will bring the COR down .01 to .02.

That’s nothing.

I think this is a huge stretch.

Baseball has a problem with too many homeruns currently. The game has morphed into .225 hitters with 40 home runs. They are simply attempting to bring the home runs down little bit. This isn't some life-altering change, and I am guessing we won't see a massive impact to total HRs hit.
.225 hitters is home runs or nothing to them.
But lets look at the caliber of player that's .225, are we talking the little second baseman or the frank thomas sized first baseman? Miguel sano comes to mind.

I love how big this none story is.. this absolutely cannot be correlated with golf..

In an effort to better center the ball, Rawlings has loosened the tension on the first of three wool windings within the ball. Its research estimates the adjustment will bring the COR down .01 to .02.

That’s nothing.

Correct. People are taking this and running with it, imagine that :)

Not a dig in the least, but rather a suggestion that yes, it is possible for sports to make necessary changes at the pro level. Which definitely is something golf should at least entertain the idea of doing so.

The history of baseball's rule changes and motives for doing so are unique to that sport. Steroid era, dropping attendance and viewership, juiced baseballs... the list goes on and on.

That stated, it doesn't take an act of a celestial power to implement pro-level changes to the sport in order to protect the integrity of the game.

I’m oddly indifferent to the baseball argument. There were clearly juiced balls in recent years resulting in ridiculous home run totals, but everyone uses the same ball and I enjoy a good 1-0 pitchers duel, so let it happen.

I've heard rumors of this happening for years. MLB would juice balls for certain games to drive up the HRs and deaden balls for games involving ace pitchers to make them look better. All about making the star players shine. Don't know how true it actually is, but the source works for a big league club so it could be.

Not a dig in the least, but rather a suggestion that yes, it is possible for sports to make necessary changes at the pro level. Which definitely is something golf should at least entertain the idea of doing so.

The history of baseball's rule changes and motives for doing so are unique to that sport. Steroid era, dropping attendance and viewership, juiced baseballs... the list goes on and on.

That stated, it doesn't take an act of a celestial power to implement pro-level changes to the sport in order to protect the integrity of the game.

Is the integrity of the game protected by rolling back equipment? It seems at the pro level the integrity of the game is already shot. Letting Reed off the hook for cheating multiple times. Not being transparent about suspension or fines due to player policy violations. Etc etc. I know those are completely separate issues. But those are integrity issues. Not equipment or the ball going to far. That is an optics issue that some find offensive..

Unless you want to talk about that fact that the tour is not even doing driver CT testing at events. That is something that could be discussed and probably a very quick solution found..

Don't deaden the baseball. Put the pitchers back on steroids.

I hope the golf ball is not next. There is no problem with the golf ball, especially at the professional level.

Pro baseball uses wood bats, vs everyone else using aluminum bats. Easy to tweak the properties of metal bats with varying wall thickness and material properties. All aluminum is not the same.

May pro golfers could go back to wood shafts.....for nostalgia sake!

Baseball was a lot more fun when we didn't have to care about who was cheating and who wasn't.

This to me is funny because baseball has shot themselves in the foot over and over. I love the sport, but it's so hard to watch anymore. Hopefully this helps, but I doubt it will.

Anything to keep the Twins the season home run record team for eternity! Man that was a fun year!

In all seriousness, I do not like Home Run or Strike Out baseball. If this helps that at all. It is good.

Back