MLB deadening the baseball-golf next?

Not a dig in the least, but rather a suggestion that yes, it is possible for sports to make necessary changes at the pro level. Which definitely is something golf should at least entertain the idea of doing so.

The history of baseball's rule changes and motives for doing so are unique to that sport. Steroid era, dropping attendance and viewership, juiced baseballs... the list goes on and on.

That stated, it doesn't take an act of a celestial power to implement pro-level changes to the sport in order to protect the integrity of the game.
Where is the integrity of golf in danger? I still don’t even remotely understand this take being out there.

Of course it needed to be changed, they needed to alter what they had altered already.

Comparing baseball to golf though is hilarious to me.

Agreed.

But if you want to use it as a proint if bifurcation, we can do that. Because baseball has been that way my entire life, and never once did I think my hard hit line drive to the gap was any less impressive because it wasn't done with a wooden bat. Just like if they rolled back the pros ball, I wouldn't think less of my bombed 240 yard drive because it was done with an old school, non professional Bridgestone.

Technology, (trackman, high speed cameras) have helped make improvements in pitching and hitting. Hitting in baseball is obviously reactive, as opposed to golf, but hitters are trying to optimize launch conditions as well as they can.

This article from SI a few years back talks about how technology has changed the game. MLB Tech Evolution

Changing the ball is like trying to put the genie back in the bottle. Teams are going to figure out how to get it to the fence.

Is the integrity of the game protected by rolling back equipment? It seems at the pro level the integrity of the game is already shot. Letting Reed off the hook for cheating multiple times. Not being transparent about suspension or fines due to player policy violations. Etc etc. I know those are completely separate issues. But those are integrity issues. Not equipment or the ball going to far. That is an optics issue that some find offensive..

Unless you want to talk about that fact that the tour is not even doing driver CT testing at events. That is something that could be discussed and probably a very quick solution found..
I think we're talking about two different definitions of integrity, but I do get your point.

Where is the integrity of golf in danger? I still don’t even remotely understand this take being out there.
Are you interpreting "integrity" as "moral and ethical"? Because that's not the definition I'm referring to.

Are you interpreting "integrity" as "moral and ethical"? Because that's not the definition I'm referring to.
No, I’m interpreting it as you implying that the game in its current path is somehow harming itself, which I think is pretty absurd.

No, I’m interpreting it as you implying that the game in its current path is somehow harming itself, which I think is pretty absurd.
When golf courses get lengthened, which requires money, who picks up that bill?

What in the hell does this have to do with the integrity of the game?

And even if they are lengthened, there’s this amazing thing, multiple tee boxes.

What in the hell does this have to do with the integrity of the game?
The answer is the consumer, or the player, or the club member. Those costs get pushed to us, and it makes the game more expensive, which could limit the accessibility to the game.

The answer is the consumer, or the player, or the club member. Those costs get pushed to us, and it makes the game more expensive, which could limit the accessibility to the game.
So it’s losing its integrity based on theoreticals? Because the masses most definitely play these Tour tracks all the time and are members there, not at average muni’s which will remain unchanged, yeah?

You mean tour courses? Who cares who eats that cost. If we're talking about land/cost it's a finite sample limited to tour golf which does fine.

I spent the last two weeks watching professionals bomb the ball off the planet and still not have real 'trouble' on approach. It is still, and will continue to be, a course layout issue until those shots are legitimately penalized..... and that ignores rock hard fairways (the most obvious issue on distance).

None of which align with baseball (as we derail the thread).

You mean tour courses? Who cares who eats that cost. If we're talking about land/cost it's a finite sample limited to tour golf which does fine.

I spent the last two weeks watching professionals bomb the ball off the planet and still not have real 'trouble' on approach. It is still, and will continue to be, a course layout issue until those shots are legitimately penalized..... and that ignores rock hard fairways (the most obvious issue on distance).

None of which align with baseball (as we derail the thread).
Fair enough. I’m glad baseball is taking a step to protect the integrity of the game.

Time to cork the bats again :unsure:

Hahah. Based on your beliefs on other subjects this is freaking hysterical. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Adam, how many public courses are being built that long? We’re not footing any bill. The membership of those courses is the one footing the bill.

So it’s losing its integrity based on theoreticals? Because the masses most definitely play these Tour tracks all the time and are members there, not at average muni’s which will remain unchanged, yeah?
I wouldn't even limit to average munis. I don't see a single course in my region outside of MAYBE Muirfield if you drive far enough that would require an alteration to accommodate tour distance. That includes TPC's, private tracks, locals, munis, and putt putt courses.

It's a non-factor problem for the majority of golf how far Pros hit the ball - that is until we hit bifurcation and they are using different balls or clubs, which then will definitely impact the consumer as it costs companies money to change/research/develop/design/produce.

Adam, how many public courses are being built that long? We’re not footing any bill. The membership of those courses is the one footing the bill.
Those damn rich folks. ;):ROFLMAO:

I wouldn't even limit to average munis. I don't see a single course in my region outside of MAYBE Muirfield if you drive far enough that would require an alteration to accommodate tour distance. That includes TPC's, private tracks, locals, munis, and putt putt courses.

It's a non-factor problem for the majority of golf how far Pros hit the ball - that is until we hit bifurcation and they are using different balls or clubs, which then will definitely impact the consumer as it costs companies money to change/research/develop/design/produce.
Yup.

And frankly, bifurcation will hurt the companies and thus us, the consumers, a hell of a lot more than longer courses will.

Hey now. They’re protecting integrity. ;)
Get rid of trackman and hawk eye. Get rid of analytics which has pushed hitters to try to hit the ball in the air.

Im not heading down that path, but we have had a ******* billion conversations about costs, and who should pay for them and you have shown little concern about it in other facets of life. Should I bring @vgolfman in to share some wisdom? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Im not heading down that path, but we have had a ******* billion conversations about costs, and who should pay for them and you have shown little concern about it in other facets of life. Should I bring @vgolfman in to share some wisdom? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Well then. I see where this is going. Apologies for sharing my thoughts.

This conversation is always a good one. Very strong opinions. What I think is the biggest pit fall of the whole distance report is that it honestly totally disregards AM play out side of the top AM's competing USGA sanctioned events. If you look at shotscope or arccos even foresight data. AM rec golf distance has not increased since 2002..

Amateur's typically hit their drives 260 yards or less!! Now, what course in the world other than par 3 courses is that over powering??

Back