Mobile Device Enforcement Person

How does taking a picture or video harm the integrity of the game?

I agree with this. I can understand in years gone by when an SLR camera would make a noise as the mirror clicks out of the way and the drive winds the film on, but in this day and age almost all devices have the option to run completely silently. So maybe, if picture and video taking is happening despite a total ban, they should be enforcing a policy of silent operation and no flash instead. Surely that way the golfers aren't interrupted and the fans get to keep some special memories?

Let's face it. If you're on this forum, or are an avid golfer and golf fan....then the camera phone isn't going to be an issue. Cause you know when it's appropriate and not appropriate. It's those casual fans that think it's ok to do what ever hey want when Ever they want without regard to what's going in around them.

Man, do I feel old now. I can remember a time when there were no cell phones. But, we played golf, we attended tournaments without them. How the heck did we ever survive. Imagine, we actually went to the course without a phone, how did we ever do it. Not once did we ever need to say to someone "I think your phone was ringing". Not once did we need to wait for a self important jerk to get off the phone to continue play.

I suspect that those same individuals that perceive their need for a phone supersedes common courtesy are the same individuals most likely that yell such dumb things as "mashed potatoes" or "baba louey" at the tournaments. (Any idea what the heck that means). I can understand that those in a golf related business have an interest in growing the game. But sometimes I wonder why genuine golfers want it. It appears that growth may generate slow play and more idiots on the course.

The guy can't catch everyone and if he is not in the area that you saw, then it is goingto get by. Not sure there is an issue. The rules say no cell phones, just don't use them. I don't understand the disconnect people have. Basically telling the PGA to eff off we will do what we want and there is nothing you can do about it.

The guy can't catch everyone and if he is not in the area that you saw, then it is goingto get by. Not sure there is an issue. The rules say no cell phones, just don't use them. I don't understand the disconnect people have. Basically telling the PGA to eff off we will do what we want and there is nothing you can do about it.

Everyone wants to be a self proclaimed anarchist today and stick it to the man.

With cell phone pictures...

People are dumb dude, I'm with you, just shut up and follow the rules, its simple.

I don't think that people should break the rules just to stick it to the man, but I feel the PGA Tour should consider evaluating their policy.

Every other sports league encourages their fans to share their experiences on social media, and this includes pictures and videos. With a few exceptions, cell phones have the capability to take video and photos silently.

With social media being such a big part of life today, the Tour should really be embracing the potential to grow their fan base.

If someone uses a flash or makes distracting noise, by all means, deal with them, but the Tour is really missing the boat on this issue.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. People take pictures at basketball games and baseball games so why is pro golf such pansies about it? makes no sense. If it's because it's "noisy" maybe the pros should learn to deal with it and still get paid doing so.

Dumb rules are meant to be broken.

What harm does taking a picture do? Why do people in golf want to do everything in their power to turn away casual fans?
If you feel it's a dumb rule then don't buy the ticket. I find it so infuriating that people just don't want to obey the rules because they don't like them. If you don't then work on changing them. But until these idiots with cell phones put them on silent and stop making them sound like an SLR camera click they are gonna be banned.

I honestly don't see what the big deal is. People take pictures at basketball games and baseball games so why is pro golf such pansies about it? makes no sense. If it's because it's "noisy" maybe the pros should learn to deal with it and still get paid doing so.
Those games aren't silent tho......... I'd never want a million cameras going off when I'm hitting I don't give a damn if I'm being paid or not, it's just stupid.

Not apples to apples there. Running up and down a court with 9 other guys and also officials in a closed arena with thousands of fans is not golf.

I think a large portion of this and other rules is that it doesn't effect all the players equally. When you have two pros competing on the same golf course, and one has no one following taking pictures, and the other has a mob five deep clicking on every swing, how is that equitable in the spirit of the game? Lowest common denominator, fans are not allowed to take pictures.

This horse is ready for a glue bottle

I think a large portion of this and other rules is that it doesn't effect all the players equally. When you have two pros competing on the same golf course, and one has no one following taking pictures, and the other has a mob five deep clicking on every swing, how is that equitable in the spirit of the game? Lowest common denominator, fans are not allowed to take pictures.

While they are at it, they should not let anyone roam around the course following the most popular golfers, since that could have an unequal effect on the players with whom they are paired. :alien:

Before the horse goes into the bottle: At the 3M Championship this year, cameras were banned over the weekend, but folks could bring their cell phones in if they were set to vibrate. Guess what folks were using to take pictures....

Last edited:
This horse is ready for a glue bottle

Sorry. I should have known an enforcement question would lead to the same old debate.

My bad

Tour players are going to have to learn to handle distractions better. Camera sounds are inevitable, now that smartphones are a common accessory. Society is changing. Professional golfers need to adjust to those changes.

This is the exact reason I have not went to a Tour event. If I pay the money to go watch a player play a round, then I should be allowed to take a picture to remember the occasion. I am sorry but I do not see the issue. I know I am not a tour player or an elite player but some of the players seem to be alittle whinny about someone moving 100 yards away when they are not even looking that way. Guess what, your famous, get over it or get out of it...

So you feel entitled to dictate what does and does not affect the top players on the planet. It's not about being famous, its about disrupting play. If you 100 yards away then the pic with you smart phone wont look good and wont carry too many memories.
This is the exact reason I have not went to a Tour event. If I pay the money to go watch a player play a round, then I should be allowed to take a picture to remember the occasion. I am sorry but I do not see the issue. I know I am not a tour player or an elite player but some of the players seem to be alittle whinny about someone moving 100 yards away when they are not even looking that way. Guess what, your famous, get over it or get out of it...

Mobile Device Enforcement Person

So you feel entitled to dictate what does and does not affect the top players on the planet. It's not about being famous, its about disrupting play. If you 100 yards away then the pic with you smart phone wont look good and wont carry too many memories.

I feel that they already know what they are going to face by the time they get to the top level. 50 years ago things were different and there were no cell phones. I can understand the yelling in during the swing, some people are easily spooked, but I believe they need to learn to adapt to the changing environment of society. I'm not sorry that might ruffle some peoples feathers, that is just the way I am. I can't tell the enemy to stop shooting at me so I can issue some orders, I adapt to that situation and move on. I think it's time for tour players to start adapting to this situation and move on. Dealing with distractions and still performing is what separates weak minded people from the strong.

Last edited:
I feel that they already know what they are going to face by the time they get to the top level. 50 years ago things were different and there were no cell phones. I can understand the yelling in during the swing, some people are easily spooked, but I believe they need to learn to adapt to the changing environment of society. I'm not sorry that might ruffle some peoples feathers, that is just the way I am. I can't tell the enemy to stop shooting at me so I can issue some orders, I adapt to that situation and move on. I think it's time for tour players to start adapting to this situation and move on. Dealing with distractions and still performing is what separates weak minded people from the strong.

I'm sorry I just don't think it makes any sense to tell players to adapt because fans want to be dbags and scream ridiculous things. It's called have some respect or don't show up. Same goes for cell phones

I'm sorry I just don't think it makes any sense to tell players to adapt because fans want to be dbags and scream ridiculous things. It's called have some respect or don't show up. Same goes for cell phones

I agree with you in regards to the obnoxious fans but cell phones have a silent mode that don't even make sound if you take a pic or video so I don't see the problem with that really.

Like I said the yelling is one thing and it shouldn't be done, but if I have my phone on silent and take a picture it's another. I love golf and watch it all the time but won't go to a tournament because I think it's crazy to be told that after I spent XX amount of money I can't take a picture. I think some of the players have become whinny millionaires, and believe they need to remember why they have so much is because of the fan driven market.

I agree with you in regards to the obnoxious fans but cell phones have a silent mode that don't even make sound if you take a pic or video so I don't see the problem with that really.
I meant more of the clicking or flash. I think of it like a concert, yeah it kinda sucks not being able to take pics or video but at the end of the day it'll be in my head and that's what is important, know what I mean? I just hasn't taken away from my experiences is what I mean

I don't understand why people don't just put there phones on silent and take a picture or video that way. When mine is on silent, you don't hear the "shutter" click or beep.
As for people yelling in the swing, that's just dumb. Some idiot wants to be able to go back home and clue up Rory's shot on that hole so they can hear themselves yelling in the background. "He Mom, get in here, quick! Wait....listen...."Get in the hole!" Ha ha ha! Did you hear me Mom, did ya?" Stupid!

I meant more of the clicking or flash. I think of it like a concert, yeah it kinda sucks not being able to take pics or video but at the end of the day it'll be in my head and that's what is important, know what I mean? I just hasn't taken away from my experiences is what I mean

Agreed, I've been to a few events, PGA, LPGA and I don't take pics because I respect their position and you know there will be those that forget to put the phone on silent just like in a movie or meeting.

Back