Modern iron loft rant

So they're different, and shouldn't even be compared? Like same numbered irons with completely different lofts?
Right - comparing irons isn't as simple as looking at the number on the bottom of the club, or the loft on the spec sheet. There are layers, like an onion. Irons are onions.

Right - comparing irons isn't as simple as looking at the number on the bottom of the club, or the loft on the spec sheet. There are layers, like an onion. Irons are onions.

onirons. that is quite the portmanteau. which, coincidentally, is easier to say than "onirons." UHN-yai-erns.

tbf that's probably not really a portmanteau. but using funny sounding words made me laugh. and i needed a laugh. carry on with your normally scheduled programming.

These days, probably one of the more silly questions one golfer can ask of the other golfer is "what number iron did you just hit?" I hear it often enough in foursomes one golfer will ask another what iron they just hit so that they know what to pull out of their bag to hit in to the green.

These days, probably one of the more silly questions one golfer can ask of the other golfer is "what number iron did you just hit?" I hear it often enough in foursomes one golfer will ask another what iron they just hit so that they know what to pull out of their bag to hit in to the green.

Yes. For example, one person's 5-iron might be 27º and another's 21º.

Yes! The onion is back! A buddy and I have been hitting very same numbered and very different lofted irons for the last hour, and one things for certain. Numbers definitely add up to more numbers.

I think the technology in the stronger lofted irons is interesting. Comparing my current 7 iron to my previous 7 iron, I get similar height, spin, and descent angle, but I easily get more ball speed and distance as well. Plus, now my 5 iron is similar to an old 3 iron, but it's shorter and easier to hit consistently.

Back