Modern iron loft rant

more people can hit these 4 irons now than could even remotely hit an old 1 iron. Funny thing that is. It’s almost like there is something being done differently to make it better/easier to do.

This is very true. If you alter weight placement (among other things) to change the launch angle of the ball after impact, lowering loft would be one of the only ways to have it fit into a proper window. While there are certainly times lofts have just been lowered for no good reason, to pretend other items such as the placement of weight do not matter outside of the micro level, is just incorrect. It goes back to a very easy view point. Look at a larger head like a driver. If loft was the only thing that determined distance, the 9 degree driver would ALWAYS go further than the higher lofted models. We know that is the not the case and based on club head design, the 9 degree model can actually have more initial launch as well as more spin.

Design/technology does have a place and I am not disregarding it, but you seem to think that the design/technology is gaining you a ton of yardage when it really is only fractional gains. You really hitting a 7 iron, 5 iron distance is purely design/technology and not juiced lofts? You are misinformed and should look at the club specs a little, but if you want to be in the ignorant is bliss category, well whatever floats your boat and get you through the day. 😂
You're conflating multiple issues and reducing it all to "distance".

The question is how good of a shot can I hit from a given distance and how consistently can I do it. It's not that a modern club that travels 150 yard has a "8" on it instead of a "6", it's that a modern club which travels 150 yards goes higher, straighter, lands steeper, holds the green better and is easier to get good results from a poor swing. That's where all the "tech" improvements have come from over the past century. The number written on the sole is just marketing.

Design/technology does have a place and I am not disregarding it, but you seem to think that the design/technology is gaining you a ton of yardage when it really is only fractional gains. You really hitting a 7 iron, 5 iron distance is purely design/technology and not juiced lofts? You are misinformed and should look at the club specs a little, but if you want to be in the ignorant is bliss category, well whatever floats your boat and get you through the day. 😂

I think a reading of facts would tell you that you are misinformed.

And I did not say anything about a ton of yardage.

But from reading your sarcastic and ill-informed posts, I do not think you read many of these posts carefully enough to comprehend them. Or in the alternative, you choose not to recognize valid points but chose to stubbornly hold on to your false beliefs.

I did say that club design consists of a combo of many factors, including spin.

I think you are wearing out your welcome with me. There is good-natured sarcasm and then there is a line where you tread into mocking sarcasm with a tinge of anger. You've crossed the line. I attempted to be polite but now you are 1 of 2 on "ignore."

Thank you.

Last edited:
It is truly amazing the amount of venom that gets spewed on here every time there's a "jacked lofts" thread. It may be the single most emotionally loaded topic in all of golf (aside from Bryson DeChambeau).
You should’ve taken the time to research the specs, and hit the irons Before you bought.
If you did, yo wouldn’t be having those issues, would you?
And… you would’ve saved the $$$ you spent on that extra gap wedge. 🥴
@CrashTestDummy Keep posting away. I understand annoyances. I call them "customers." :ROFLMAO: I take care of the angry ones.

Et Tu Brute, You should also highlight SC Lefty and Desmond's comments as well to be balanced and fair. 😉

OP here... what have I done...

Started another "jacked loft" threads with the same results as every other "jacked lofts" thread.

Genuinely nobody is forcing you to partake in the conversation.

To everybody, let's please try and have a civilized conversation regarding the topic or move on to something else.

Started another "jacked loft" threads with the same results as every other "jacked lofts" thread.
It was in March, why the sudden interest I thought people were over it 🤣. This post is so old I’ve literally changed my opinion on it.

I'm excited to finally do a bit of a mishmash test on this myself.
My 2009 Cobra SZ irons (32.5 degree 7-iron and a cavity back you could drink soup out of) vs. my 2021 JPX 921 Forged (31 degree 7-iron).
I expect overall to be losing distance but who knows!

If I hit a club as far as someone thinks a five iron should go and it has a 7 stamped on it, that's how far I hit that 7 iron. Not really a 5 iron distance for that model, is it?

In a general sense I'm still "anti loft jacking" for my game - but my delivery is so messed up that my opinion should matter to nobody.

I once hit a Mizuno HMB that was bent 3* weak and loved it way more than stock. I could probably play and love a set like that but its tough to spend $2k on an experiment.

If that 7i that goes 5i distance were just a 5i with a "7" stamped on it, wouldn't it have, in addition to 5i loft, the same shaft length and lie as a normal 5i? The fact that a club typically an inch shorter and a degree more upright than the 5i in the set goes what used to be 5i distance says something about technology adding something and distance gains being not just due to stronger lofts.

I buy a set of irons, I hit them to get the distance each iron travels, and I play them. It really is that simple. The technology is fantastic now a days and I don't care so much about the number on the sole of the club, just how far and straight each one will go so I know which iron to choose when a certain distance presents itself. I say to the manufacturers, ''keep making clubs that are easier to hit so I can improve my game!''

There's two kinds of people in the world when it comes to golf club specifications.

One kind asks "If I'm 150 yards from the hole (or 120 or 180) will these irons let me hit the shot I want, the distance I want and control the ball?".

The other kind asks "If I'm hitting a 7-iron, how far does it go?".

If you're hung up on how far a club with a given number on the sole will fly, you will end up ignoring the 90% of iron models that don't match your preconceived "number on the sole" yardages. Which is a pity but not the end of the world. Still plenty clubs to choose from.

For my part, if somebody invented an iron that would give me a 45-degree descent angle and 5,000rpm of spin on a 175-yard shot I wouldn't care if the sole was stamped with a 7, a 12, or 3.1416 or if it said "Yo' mama's ugly".

and then there's guys like i am who ask

or maybe i should say there are little girls like i am who ask... :ROFLMAO:

It was in March, why the sudden interest I thought people were over it 🤣. This post is so old I’ve literally changed my opinion on it.
This might be the first opinion on this that has changed.

. I will say that I've never had anyone on the course ask me what the loft was on any of my clubs other than driver or maybe a wedge?

Let's make that a thing. Instead of 'what did you hit there?' let's make it, 'what loft did you hit there?'. See how that goes.

I generally don't care what anybody else hits, I play my own game. Somebody else's 7-iron might be 5 degrees Loft different.

in all seriousness, i still can't wrap my brain around why people get so worked up over this. PLENTY of companies make clubs with weaker lofts. and the companies that get sh1t on for making clubs with stronger lofts ALSO make clubs with weaker lofts. why do people get so worked up about something that they aren't being forced to do? i love options, and i love that there are clubs to help golfers of varying needs. how that is a bad thing, i'll never understand.

Thank you.

So I just loft jacked.

It got me higher launch, peak height, AND ball speed. ……re: distance WITH green stopping power.

thank you Golf company R&D.

Oh come on, technology in golf clubs isn’t real….
So I just loft jacked.

It got me higher launch, peak height, AND ball speed. ……re: distance WITH green stopping power.

thank you Golf company R&D.
;)

Back