Mohawks, THP, and the "C" word

tomahawk18

Waiting for some sun!?
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 6.6
I know this is a golf blog, but I am partially writing this for therapy. I have been pondering whether or not to write this thread for a couple of months now, but have ultimately decided to share my story.

My wife and I, along with our families, have been dealing with the dreaded "C" word for the better part of 5 months now.

A little history. My wife and I got married April 17, 2010. She is my best friend. We met through mutual friends, and were friends for a couple years before we ever dated. In October, we got the news we had been waiting for... she was pregnant. We had been trying for a couple of months. When we went to the Doctor, she was about 7 weeks along. We scheduled an ultrasound for the following week and ultimately it revealed the bad news, it was not a viable pregnancy. In fact, it was a very rare type of pregnancy called a molar pregnancy. The odds of a molar pregnancy are about 1-1000. Most of these pregnancies have no complications, but a very small percentage do, and the complication is cancer. Our odds to be in this small group was about 1-10,000. The treatment was a mild chemo shot of methotrexate once a week and was supposed to last 8-12 weeks. This treatment made her feel like she had the flu for 2-3 days after each shot (fever, body aches, nausea, headaches, etc.). Imagine knowing every week you were going to catch the flu. This treatment works for 95% of molar pregnancy patients. It did not work for us. It lowered her levels significantly, but ultimately couldn't completely finish the job. At week 17, the methotrexate had stopped working.

Last month, my wife graduated to full chomotherapy. This treatment consists of an overnight stay in the hospital every 14 days, and a cocktail of multiple types of chemotherapy drugs given in a particular sequence over a 20 hour period. I won't go to much into detail, but among the many side effects of this treatment is hair loss. She cut most of her hair off this weekend, as it was starting to go. In support, I told her I would go bald as well, but she had other ideas. She wanted me to go mohawk! I agreed. We got out the clippers and she started cutting. If it makes her smile and laugh just once during this process, it will be worth it. This is my wife cutting my hair off...

hair002.jpg

hair007.jpg

Final product! Living up to my screen name toMOHAWK18

hair026.jpg

hair028.jpg

hair022.jpg

Along with my mohawk, we have a group of about 10-12 friends and family who have either shaved their heads or gone mohawk in support of my wife,(including some women). Such a kind gesture! We are truly touched.

This process is in part how I found THP. You see, I have alot of time on my hands right now. When I am not at work, I am at home taking care of my wife, (mostly just being with her and laying around). So while I am at home, I spend alot of time on the web. In January I found THP. Now I spend alot of time on THP! :) I know that THP views itself as a golf forum, but it is so much more. It is an outlet. A momentary escape from the bad. This site has gotten me through some of the darkest days in my life. My wife will be sick and asleep, and I will be right next to her on my ipad talking about my 2nd love, golf, while she rests. I can only watch so much TV. I want to thank THP for that! From the bottom of my heart. All of you! Reading and posting on THP, mostly about golf, has helped me pass so much time. I haven't played a round of golf in a month, but I get to talk about it.

Also, a huge thanks to TC. He knows why! :)

My wife's outlook now is very good as her numbers have fallen to near 0, which is where she needs to be. Within the next few weeks, this should all be behind us, (praying). This has put much of my life into a perspective that I would never have seen before. I am thankful for that. Things that used to be important to me just aren't anymore. All that matters is my wife getting healthy.

WOW, thank you for sharing man, I'm so glad that your wife is now at 0 and that you seem to be coming out of this. THP is a family and is about much more than just golf, I can't even imagine how I would feel if my wife had to go through what yours is, we had a tough pregnancy with my son, but it PALES to what you guys are going through. If theres anything I can do to help you know where to find me.

Our prayers go out to both of you guys in this difficult time that most people cannot fathom.

Here's to a speedy recovery

And its great that THP provides an outlet for you to "escape" for awhile, I think thats good for everyone to have

Wow, Toma. Many good vibes being sent your way and thank you for sharing. Thats a really great thing you did in support. So glad everything is going better for you now and your wife :)

So happy you guys have such great friends who are so supportive. Best wishes!

What a touching story. Thoughts and prayers to your wife, you and your family!

The Mohawk fits you man, looks great!

All the best to you and your family! Having family members who have fought cancer I can only say you are a great and brave man as your wife is an incredibly brave woman!

Love the Mohawk! Keep us posted. I'm sure many here want to keep you in their thoughts and prayers. I'm one of them!

Wow, you are such a strong person and the love that you share with your wife is simply spectacular. I wish you both all the best and will hope and pray for a full recovery. It is so moving to think that THP can touch someone's life like you have described. I am truly speechless.

I know that THP views itself as a golf forum, but it is so much more..

TH,
That is a touching post and I want to thank you for sharing it. As someone that has dealt with that in their life on different levels, I know its a lot to deal with. I shrunk your quote down to one sentence because I did want to respond to it. THP is a golf forum for many, however for some it is a family. When we started this place it was about creating "that place" and your thoughts may be thoughts of therapy, but they do warm my heart knowing that we have helped in the smallest of ways.

While some come here for equipment or tour talk, I view the THP forum and website as the golf lifestyle and more so a family. A family that gets together once a year for that reunion and says thanks to everybody that makes this all possible (the members), while during the course of the year chatting daily. We have our ups and downs just like a family, but we know that the group of people here truly care about each other and that makes it what this place is.

You have people here that care whether or not it is realized and they can assist in this "therapy" you have to go through. Give your wife a huge hug from the entire THP family and tell her we are thinking about her. Thank you for sharing.

the hair is awesome

my parayers and taughts are with you both for a speedy recovery

Thanks for sharing this with us! I am so glad to hear that everything is starting to turnaround and that your wife is doing better. On a side note, you are pretty much obligated to show up to the get together with your hair done up like that!

Stay strong TH and I hope things only get better for you and your family. You seem to have a great outlook on things and thats great. I hope to read about a full recovery for your wife and look forward to seeing you without the mohawk someday lol

Best wishes to your wife and you. Glad to see that THP can bring you some comfort during a very tough time in your life :)

What a great story, and I thank you for sharing it.

My family has had its fair share of cancer with 2 of 3 immediate family members surviving. Dealing with the sickness that comes with treatment can be unbearable at times to everyone involved. I'm glad your wife's numbers have dropped and it sounds like she is on her way to recovery. I'm sure she has a great support group. Thoughts and prayers will continue.

That is a touching story; my thoughts are with you the both of you. Stay strong!!

My thoughts and prayers are headed out to your wife and family. That was a great post and hearing the strong bond between the two of you makes my day. I too have been through this on several levels, my daughter and myself. Thank goodness all turned out well for us and I have no doubt you will fair well in the future. Wecome to the THP family.

By the way, I had a mohawk back in 1995 after a brain tumor was removed. I still have a lot of laughs looking back at the pictures :D

That sucks Mohawk! In honor of your wife...

I will be keeping you in my prayers. May you come through this stronger and full of life.

I am not a very religious man, but you, your wife, and your unborn child will be in my prayers.

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family Tomahawk. It's a pretty tough fight but I'm glad that you guys came out swinging. It's great that THP can give you some solace during the tough times. I always believed that we have some of the most compassionate members here and I'm glad that we all can contribute to that sentiment.

On another note, that is one bada$$ haircut. Now the name does fit the pic. :D

Our thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family Tomahawk. It's a pretty tough fight but I'm glad that you guys came out swinging. It's great that THP can give you some solace during the tough times. I always believed that we have some of the most compassionate members here and I'm glad that we all can contribute to that sentiment.

On another note, that is one bada$$ haircut. Now the name does fit the pic. :D

If I was going to do it I figured GO BIG!

Thoughts and prayers. Looks like things are looking up.

Sounds like you have a great wife and a great support group of family and friends.

now you've gone and tempted me to get another mohawk (haven't had one in decades) since I have to get a haircut this week

TH,
That is a touching post and I want to thank you for sharing it. As someone that has dealt with that in their life on different levels, I know its a lot to deal with. I shrunk your quote down to one sentence because I did want to respond to it. THP is a golf forum for many, however for some it is a family. When we started this place it was about creating "that place" and your thoughts may be thoughts of therapy, but they do warm my heart knowing that we have helped in the smallest of ways.

While some come here for equipment or tour talk, I view the THP forum and website as the golf lifestyle and more so a family. A family that gets together once a year for that reunion and says thanks to everybody that makes this all possible (the members), while during the course of the year chatting daily. We have our ups and downs just like a family, but we know that the group of people here truly care about each other and that makes it what this place is.

You have people here that care whether or not it is realized and they can assist in this "therapy" you have to go through. Give your wife a huge hug from the entire THP family and tell her we are thinking about her. Thank you for sharing.

I would love to participate in the outing and meet all of you. Maybe next year...

Good story man, and glad you shared it. My grandma just got over cancer not to long ago and it was tough time, but stay strong, she will get through it!

Oh and the Mohawk is sweet!!!

Thanks for sharing this with us! I am so glad to hear that everything is starting to turnaround and that your wife is doing better. On a side note, you are pretty much obligated to show up to the get together with your hair done up like that!

I will rock the hawk for you at the NW outing. Remember, I am about 6'3" and 260 lbs (6'6" with mohawk), so you won't miss me. HAHA

Thanks everyone for your thoughts and prayers.

Back