More demo/LM data, need to make a decision

Flooder

Reaction score
Handicap
Went to the Callaway Performance Center at a golf course near me and spent some time hitting irons trying to make this decision I've been going back and forth on. The guy there was gracious enough to offer to have me come in w/o charge and see if we could figure it out.

Warmed up briefly with my X22 then hit 5-7 balls with the 2.0, CG16, and Razr X - all in regular flex standard shaft offering. Here's the skinny...

2.0 6 iron - longer than the others, but only 5-8 yards and these had the worst launch angle 14.3* with the 6 iron, widest dispersion (though it wasn't that bad) and greatest length dispersion (20 yards between shortest and longest). Twice I've hit these on launch monitors (2 different places) and gotten much more length than I did today. I can't explain these clubs and me - one day I hit the 6 iron 190+ and the next it's 165...

CG16 7 iron (had to hit 7 iron from PIF as he didn't have any for me to hit) - Just like the other day at the range, these felt good off the face. They were long - 7 iron carry 155-158 and total 170 and the dispersion wasn't bad. launch angle here was better than the 2.0s but still lower than the optimal range (I want to say it was in the 16's).

Razr X 6 iron - immediately noticed the heaviness of this club. Between the head weight and the uniflex shaft vs. the 85 gram in the other two, it was very noticeable. This weight brought my attack angle down 2* from the other two clubs to around 8* and produced the best launch angle of the 3. It was the shortest and only a couple yards longer than the CG16 7 iron.

I cycled through all 3 clubs and my X22 again to be sure there weren't any flukes in there, and the data remained very similar. So, I gain 3/4 to 1 club with the razr x and improve my launch angle and shot shape. With the CG16 I gain 1.5 clubs and the launch angle is a little better. The burners are out I think.

Interested in thoughts from the group as I wrap up this decision. Should I be looking at a heavier shaft in the 2.0s or the CGs to bring my attack angle down?

No opinions from this group - now that's a rarity :D

Hmm, well, irons are all about distance control, not pure distance. I can't say what is best for you based on raw data. Irons are just as personal as a putter. What felt the best? Are you able to see your ball flight with them before you buy? When I get fit for irons this year I am putting a premium on observed ball flight. Irons aren't like a driver where you swing 100% all the time. That data can become frivolous on a 3/4 knockdown shot. Go with what feels best and gives you the ball flight you are looking for I say.

Back