More distance on driving for moderate mature swing

Hitsnmisses

Reaction score
Handicap
Hi all

Mid 50s tradie , plays irregularly approx 1.5 times a month ( would be more but time poor)

Statistically, swing speed approx 90ish, driver distance 210-220 metres with examples of 240-250 metres

Club - Callaway great big Bertha @11.5 deg with standard reg flex 50 g kuro kage shaft and MCC+4 grip

I’ve began searching and exploring drivers including Titleist / Mizuno/ and some Callaway offerings with stock shafts and tried several others.
Recently inserted Ventus red and blue in stiff and reg flex without any net gains from the incumbent shaft

Question... What if any experiences of other similar would be beneficial

That's good distance for that swing speed, especially in meters.

yeah , tell that to tradie who thinks he’s still 20 something lol and wants to hit the core out of the cover. That said playing some of the best golf of my life recently .... but as jack nicholson said “ what if it’s as good as it gets “ I don’t know ,, so just asking

Without knowing tendencies you might be served with a 50g class S Flex better?

If you like the Kuro Kage shaft they make an S flex in that weight class. Sounds like you’re probably between the 2 and may like the flight better.

I’ve tried 50-65g shafts specifically ventus red and blue in reg and stiff also hazardous and even flow . I have this curiosity around the tensei blue shaft in reg as I have red tensei 70g in a hybrid (4H) which on early rounds experience flys approx 169-170 m so that may next up for driver duty lol

if the kuro ( your talking about the 5 th generation version ?) flys more with similar characteristics to the one I currently have , it may have pole position. I not chasing big extra distance something in the order of 10-15 metres would be optimistic I imagine

Without knowing tendencies you might be served with a 50g class S Flex better?

If you like the Kuro Kage shaft they make an S flex in that weight class. Sounds like you’re probably between the 2 and may like the flight better.
I just had quick look at Mitsubishi kuro kage black 5 th generation looks similar specs to my existing shaft I imagine it technologically more advanced and with as per your suggestion a stiff flex may be worth trialing . Thanks for recommendation , worth pursuing.

I am mid-90's swing speed at the moment and still swing a regular flex. I'm not quick, just smoothish.

You might try a couple of things - get some lead tape out and get the swing weight to D4-5. A little more mass may create more ball speed.

Try a Callaway Speed or Max. Even try a slightly heavier shaft - sometimes heft engages more muscles. Try a 45 inch shaft for more consistency if you are 45.5.

Yes I’ve got some lead tape 2 strips @30 mm long adhered to heel end and back and integral weighting set to promote draw bias , and therefore more distance ) it’s 45 in shaft already . Reckon I’ve covered the simple stuff, that helps a bit I don’t really want to open the lid of Pandora’s box ( throw lots of $$ at expensive shafts ) happy to invest for quantifiable return etc otherwise be chasing something that may not exist

A stiffer flex isn’t going to hit the ball farther. And I’m not aware of any stiff flex shaft that’s appropriate for a 90mph swing. Not saying they don’t exist, just don’t know of one.

Adding mass MIGHT add a little ball speed, but only because it allows the shaft to flex a little more.

Bottom line, get fitted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve tried 50-65g shafts specifically ventus red and blue in reg and stiff also hazardous and even flow . I have this curiosity around the tensei blue shaft in reg as I have red tensei 70g in a hybrid (4H) which on early rounds experience flys approx 169-170 m so that may next up for driver duty lol

if the kuro ( your talking about the 5 th generation version ?) flys more with similar characteristics to the one I currently have , it may have pole position. I not chasing big extra distance something in the order of 10-15 metres would be optimistic I imagine
If you can, try out the Tensei Orange, I use a R flex CK50 and find the counter balanced design works well for my mid to high 90s swing speed.

A stiffer flex isn’t going to hit the ball farther. And I’m not aware of any stiff flex shaft that’s appropriate for a 90mph swing. Not saying they don’t exist, just don’t know of one.

Adding mass MIGHT add a little ball speed, but only because it allows the shaft to flex a little more.

Bottom line, get fitted.

Oh, I definitely found more ball speed with more mass. But it's all a balance. And then there is the shaft. Had more ball speed with a heavy (68g) TPT Red than the Auto Flex in the same head. It's all about the fitting.

Hi all

Mid 50s tradie , plays irregularly approx 1.5 times a month ( would be more but time poor)

Statistically, swing speed approx 90ish, driver distance 210-220 metres with examples of 240-250 metres

Club - Callaway great big Bertha @11.5 deg with standard reg flex 50 g kuro kage shaft and MCC+4 grip

I’ve began searching and exploring drivers including Titleist / Mizuno/ and some Callaway offerings with stock shafts and tried several others.
Recently inserted Ventus red and blue in stiff and reg flex without any net gains from the incumbent shaft

Question... What if any experiences of other similar would be beneficial

It's really tough to say without knowing loft, angle of attack (positive/negative) launch, spin, etc. In other words, a fitting. You could be cheating yourself out of yards with your setup.

Oh, I definitely found more ball speed with more mass. But it's all a balance. And then there is the shaft. Had more ball speed with a heavy (68g) TPT Red than the Auto Flex in the same head. It's all about the fitting.

the physics say more mass means more ball speed. but the trade off is possibly losing swing speed, which would decrease ball speed. so you’re 100% correct it’s all about balance.

Bottom line, get fitted.

I’ll agree with the “get fitted” part. I took his carry distances to mean mid 90’s. Generally S flex is recommended for 90-105 CHS. Again, generally. Without seeing a swing or knowing actual numbers it’s tough.

Loft may be a consideration for more distance. With a moderate swing speed, good launch from the driver is a big factor in maximizing carry. Google up a chart (there are many) that show how to maximize distance at various swing speeds.

At 60 years old, I know that I can never get back some of the speed I once had in my swing, no matter what I do. The quick twitch muscles simply don’t engage like they once did. I keep working to maintain what I have, maybe gain a few mph, and try to maximize my numbers. Doing so is allowing me to play pretty much the same way that I always have.

The equipment is so good these days and it is possible to find something that maximizes the distance for each individual.

Hi all , just broadly , I have spent time with fitter , and sampled some of the current offerings which did not significantly improve distance enough to consider purchase .

Yes they were some of the “ big 4 “ top end brands together with some other brands Mizuno etc. Yes some preferences also come into play but they are minor lmo.

Not spendin* time on launch monitors very much, don’t have any preferences regarding launch windows and flight path etc. although what we did see was for age and swing was comparable but not superior

Physically fit and without any handicaps or impairments, nor on medications or wearing glasses, in relative terms probably abnormally normal lol

Weighting club has been experimented with albeit minor adjustment

As stated 11.5 deg loft , unsure re AofA I would imagine on positive side ( tee height approximately 38 mm) 1,3/4”

Golf pride mcc +4 self align grip

so there’s more meat on the bones to the story but happily absorbing the information forwarded and shifting through what applies etc

great stuff from all please keep it coming very much appreciated your time taken

Hi all , just broadly , I have spent time with fitter , and sampled some of the current offerings which did not significantly improve distance enough to consider purchase .

Yes they were some of the “ big 4 “ top end brands together with some other brands Mizuno etc. Yes some preferences also come into play but they are minor lmo.

Not spendin* time on launch monitors very much, don’t have any preferences regarding launch windows and flight path etc. although what we did see was for age and swing was comparable but not superior

Physically fit and without any handicaps or impairments, nor on medications or wearing glasses, in relative terms probably abnormally normal lol

Weighting club has been experimented with albeit minor adjustment

As stated 11.5 deg loft , unsure re AofA I would imagine on positive side ( tee height approximately 38 mm) 1,3/4”

Golf pride mcc +4 self align grip

so there’s more meat on the bones to the story but happily absorbing the information forwarded and shifting through what applies etc

great stuff from all please keep it coming very much appreciated your time taken

Go buy a set of SuperSpeed sticks, since you say you're fit, I bet you can add 5 mph club head speed. That'll get you 10-20 yards more carry.

That distance is a little above average for a typical male golfer.

If you're wanting a bit more speed, take a look at xcaliber golf shafts... specifically the rapid tapers. There was a review of them here on THP and the result was swing speed was increased a little bit... not more than like 5 MPH or 8 KPH. It has to do with how the shaft is designed.

Back