More OEM foolishness

Status
Not open for further replies.

RetiredBoomer

Reaction score
Why do all the manufacturers who put club numbers on their fairway metals (which to me is a bad idea in itself) refer to their 2-woods as "3+" woods?
How is "2" not more sensible than "3+," and while we're at it, why does 7, rather than 6, come after 5?

OEMs are more inclined to pander to low information customers than to make sense.

I think it’s because they want to keep the woods odd numbered? ?‍♂️

Last edited:
You are not 100% accurate. Several manufacturers have adjustable loft woods that are designated 3/4, 5/6, 7/8, etc. I also think too much emphasis is placed on loft for numbering clubs. There is more tech involved then just loft with weight placement and such. In all honesty does it really make any difference whatsoever what number they put on the club? As a player you should know your distances with all your clubs regardless what number is on it or what loft it is.

If you consider pretty standard lofts of 15/18/21 for 3/5/7 woods, and that a 4W is generally 16.5 degrees, a 6W would presumably be 19.5 degrees. I don’t believe OEMs are mislabeling a 7w; rather, I see a presumably limited demand for a 19.5 degree 6w, which explains why they are generally not offered (other than Cobras adjustable 5/6).

Let's change the driver to being a 1-wood again then, and change the irons so everyone has a 1-iron in their bag - oh, wait, nobody can hit a 1-iron can they
I don't understand why people get hung up about what number (or name) is on the bottom of the club, as long as you know how far you hit it

Look at it another way - if you showed someone a club labelled a 2W and then another labelled as a 3+W, yet both have the same loft, which one do you think the regular golfer is going to pick up? I would guess they would go for the 3+W as, to them, it should be easier to hit

As already mentioned, loft is only one part of the equation and is pretty useless on its own to gauge how much distance a club should give someone

Plus saying "I'm hitting a 6 wood/8wood" sounds silly

Let's change the driver to being a 1-wood again then, and change the irons so everyone has a 1-iron in their bag - oh, wait, nobody can hit a 1-iron can they
I don't understand why people get hung up about what number (or name) is on the bottom of the club, as long as you know how far you hit it

Look at it another way - if you showed someone a club labelled a 2W and then another labelled as a 3+W, yet both have the same loft, which one do you think the regular golfer is going to pick up? I would guess they would go for the 3+W as, to them, it should be easier to hit

As already mentioned, loft is only one part of the equation and is pretty useless on its own to gauge how much distance a club should give someone

Most woods have the degree listed below or near the numbers. I know the mavrik has it. I don’t see the issue here.

When I create my own clubs, I'm starting with a Negative 10 wood - that will go really really far.

Who cares. Seriously. We are way too hung up on the number and not the loft/performance.

When I create my own clubs, I'm starting with a Negative 10 wood - that will go really really far.

Who cares. Seriously. We are way too hung up on the number and not the loft/performance.

Exactly. I gap for carry distance. If two 6 irons give me the gapping I want, like Crossfield I’d bag a “Power 6.”

1580909973981.gif

I don't get why the numbering is a big deal if it goes the distance I want it to then it is fine.

Most OEMs also put the loft on their woods, and many FWs have a loft adjustability, so a Epic Flash 3W+ can be adjusted to a 4W.

Bring back Niblicks and Mashies. I’m also tired of not finding any Gutta Percha balls at my local Woolworth.

Most OEMs also put the loft on their woods, and many FWs have a loft adjustability, so a Epic Flash 3W+ can be adjusted to a 4W.

I get that, it’s not something that get’s me going ?‍♂️

I'm sure they have their reasons, but it doesn't matter to me. I'm properly gapped with every club in my bag, and wouldn't matter what the number is on the head. More reason to make sure you get fit for clubs before buying, especially if you can see the actual ball flight and real numbers.

I've never heard of a 3+...

Those odd numbered clubs go too damned far. The USGA is looking into mandating another numbering system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back