More unfriendly bunker condition.

?

• A: Brand new, high quality, but unsettled sand.

Votes: 23 32.9%
  • B: Old unkempt, hard-packed sand.

Votes: 47 67.1%

• Total voters

baylrballa

2024 WWGC Food and Drink Champion
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
>10
Which is harder?

Encountered A this past week and it was an absolute nightmare.

I think A is harder especially from a fairway bunker.

A. Most of the bunkers in AZ are hard packed and baked sand. I play with toe down to dig out of it. New unsettled sand is too random.

I voted A.
I'm a fan of fluffy sand, but if it's kind of just floating there, you're not going to get any kind of reasonable lie

When you're used to one or the other, the other one is always harder. If you're used to playing in hard, clay, unkempt bunkers & then go to nice, white, fluffy sand ... you may have a hard time. I know that's my case. When I get into really fluffy sand, I have a more difficult time because I'm used to have to drive the wedge thru the hard VA Clay. Plus you need a wedge with different a bounce to play in softer sand vs harder, more compact, sand. :oops:

I’d say hard packed because you don’t really know how the ball is going to come out

I voted A also.

I think it's just too easy to bury the club in unsettled sand and leave it in the bunker.

B. Always B. When there's no way to get your club under the ball greenside, elevating it becomes nearly impossible. Greenside bunkers with hard-packed sand is one of those times I feel like the course is preventing you from playing golf as intended.

I play on many courses that have non maintained , crusted hard sand that’s packed down … you cannot with any element of certainty , be aware of what’s underneath .. stones or carpet to help support the curve and shape of the bunker… and the club just bounces of the surface like it’s steel …

As to the alternative answer many courses particularly links are like that … at lest you can get the club under the ball and complete a strike

Old bunker, I’ve played some goat tracks with weeds and mud in bunkers so this by far.

I voted A. I know if it's hard sand I can just pound down on it and get out. New fluffy sand can do lots if things.

The unkempt is what bothers me. For all I know I could be hitting into rocks.

hard packed always gives me fits. I hate it with a passion. I"m not sure I've played the other, so not sure what to think, but it can't be worse than hard packed in my mind.

Give me the nice sand over the hard pack.

Packed sand. It’s just as random as the fluffy stuff but with zero confidence as to what’s gonna happen.

Fluffy stuff is more unpredictable for me. Hard sand, not hardpan, I can dig the sole under with a bit more confidence

I voted A. Maybe because I’m more familiar with the B-type hazards up here.

Voted for the hard pack. Hard to hit an acceptable shot when you are hitting sand that might as well be concrete.

Fluffy sand is the worst.

There are no good ways to hit a shot out of them. At least hard packed is predictable.

Also, I love that bunkers are hazards again. Get rid of the rakes.

B. If its too hard packed and youre still trying to hit behind the ball the clubs going to bounce off it and youre going to blade it

I don't think it matters. It's pure luck if I get out the first time.

More unfavorable is when you have both on the same course. I stepped into a bunker yesterday and my shoe disappeared

90 % of the bunkers are thin and aggregate infused

Last edited:
I votes A. Fluffy sand and my swing don't mix.

Fluffy is one thing, unsettled is another. I played once years ago on a day the course was replacing the sand in the bunkers. It was so soft you couldn't even find your ball in it to hit. It was like hitting into fresh snow and the ball would sink down 6 to 8 inches. I know that is an extreme example

Old an unkempt otherwise known as dirt holes. When they aren’t maintained it turns into this rock hard surface that’s like playing off the sidewalk.

Back