More women golfers..?

I see a woman golfer every time I play, but that is my wife. :rolleyes:

No. On a side note one thing I have observed is all of the ladies tees I have seen are too long. I see many women hitting a lot of fairway woods into par 4's and 3's. You can tell a man set up those tees. Maybe this is part of the reason more women don't play? Hard to score when you are hitting fairway woods into the majority of par 4's. Even the pros have trouble hitting greens with fairway woods. My suggestion would be to either move the tees up, or start turning some of those par 4's into par 5's. The average drive for all women is 166 yards (that number changes depending on HI and age). If that is the case a 300 yard hole for most women is driver and wood/hybrid. I see some par 4's for women that are well over 300 yards. That said, bogey would be a good score on most holes, but I imagine it can get frustrating not having very many opportunities for par or birdie.

This is a good point. I mentioned this to my wife awhile back. She can hit the ball pretty well off the tee and still has long irons or hybrids into most par 4s. It would be nice to see some additional tee boxes for women, so that they have more options. This would probably be good for junior players as well. My niece played for her middle school team and most of the girls weren't hitting their drives more than 100-125 yards on good shots. A 325 yard par 4 is a tall order for them. But, they were playing from the shortest tees available. I think they would have had a lot more fun if they had tees better suited to them. We talk about men needing to tee it forward to have more fun and play faster, but women don't have that option in most cases.

Some of the tee complexes are the equivalent of lopping an inch off a club, painting it pink and saying “here ya go”.

We've always had more women on the golf courses around here than other places I've lived. Also seems like those numbers keep increasing:)

No. On a side note one thing I have observed is all of the ladies tees I have seen are too long. I see many women hitting a lot of fairway woods into par 4's and 3's. You can tell a man set up those tees. Maybe this is part of the reason more women don't play? Hard to score when you are hitting fairway woods into the majority of par 4's. Even the pros have trouble hitting greens with fairway woods. My suggestion would be to either move the tees up, or start turning some of those par 4's into par 5's. The average drive for all women is 166 yards (that number changes depending on HI and age). If that is the case a 300 yard hole for most women is driver and wood/hybrid. I see some par 4's for women that are well over 300 yards. That said, bogey would be a good score on most holes, but I imagine it can get frustrating not having very many opportunities for par or birdie.

I would argue this is not a "ladies tee" problem...it is a "forward tees too long for some people" problem. I have mentioned previously a story of some guys I play with who tend to bomb their best drives less than 200 being forced to play too long on a nice course and not enjoying it. There is a cutoff somewhere for how short a tee a course can do...but a quick look at average length of recreational golfers tells us it is likely shorter than the current offerings at some, perhaps even most courses

I would argue this is not a "ladies tee" problem...it is a "forward tees too long for some people" problem. I have mentioned previously a story of some guys I play with who tend to bomb their best drives less than 200 being forced to play too long on a nice course and not enjoying it. There is a cutoff somewhere for how short a tee a course can do...but a quick look at average length of recreational golfers tells us it is likely shorter than the current offerings at some, perhaps even most courses

You make a good point and the term “ladies tees” should probably be retired. Junior golf would probably appreciate it too. Take “senior tees” out too. There’s a correlation between the length one hits driver and how long a course they should play. Heck, if there’s a “175 yard drive tee” it’d be fun to play with 6-PW or whatever you’re 175 club is.

Most women are most comfortable playing amongst themselves or with their husbands if married. Most have had experiences on the course and driving range where men have tried to tell them how to play. It is not appreciated unless asked. So it is rare that you will see women playing in random groups on the golf course. We will play in our clubs. Sometimes we will request to play as singles. Some of us like me don't care.

I play munis. I am seeing more younger women playing.

I played 18 yesterday. I was paired with three ladies. I learned later a 57, 65 and 89 year old.

I heard them speaking about a league wrap up the following night. Thats my wife's Tuesday morning ladies league. I asked them if they knew my wife, they did. That broke the ice.

By # 6 we were waiting for the group in front of us, four men. The Marshall was speaking to them and then came up to us and told us "Less talking and more walking", referring to the guys in front of us, but added, that usually happens with the women.

These gals took offence to that. I then told them the sentence I read from Mr Pennick's :friends book :The trouble with women golfers-their husbands.

The ladies all agreed.

We had a great time. We talked, laughed and played golf.

I told my wife this morning about this thread. She often gets on as a single and she told me, very few men give her advice. Lucky for them they don't, lol

I agree. I play the senior tees myself.

I play munis. I am seeing more younger women playing.

I played 18 yesterday. I was paired with three ladies. I learned later a 57, 65 and 89 year old.

I heard them speaking about a league wrap up the following night. Thats my wife's Tuesday morning ladies league. I asked them if they knew my wife, they did. That broke the ice.

By # 6 we were waiting for the group in front of us, four men. The Marshall was speaking to them and then came up to us and told us "Less talking and more walking", referring to the guys in front of us, but added, that usually happens with the women.

These gals took offence to that. I then told them the sentence I read from Mr Pennick's :friends book :The trouble with women golfers-their husbands.

The ladies all agreed.

We had a great time. We talked, laughed and played golf.

I told my wife this morning about this thread. She often gets on as a single and she told me, very few men give her advice. Lucky for them they don't, lol

I have seen younger women playing. They will also play the white tees to try to "own the guys" with distance, and a few of them can. A few years back when I was getting back into the game and was learning how to hit the ball again, I was talking with one of them at the driving range. She said, "that's not how you hit a driver. This is how you hit a driver." She took my driver and hit the back fence with the ball. She was a senior in HS. I asked her from whom she was taking lessons. "See Tony. He's the best. He coaches a lot of women the right way." Well, I did. And Tony got me on the right track and added a bunch of yards.

Yes. I see more people in general.

At the beginning of the pandemic I began to note significant increases in the number of players on our public access courses. Many of the players were women. Some with what I assumed were husbands and male friends, others in all female foursomes. It has certainly helped the Mitten’s golf industry.

We have lots of ladies at our home course. It’s great to see! Maybe more will come on THP too? 🙂

More people generally and id say percentage of woman are the same.

Always been women on my county courses. Not a lot but always see them somewhere most every time I play

Last edited:
A load more women golfers here in my part of the US than back home in the UK, but i haven’t noticed any increases particualty in my 10 years of living here.

We have a decent amount of women but i wouldn't say it's growing. Many of the women at our club have husbands who are also members. There are not very many women who are golfers but their husband or BF is off playing Tennis if you know what i mean.

Would be great if more solo women took up the game but i haven't seen much evidence of that

Our top women's golfer is an 18yr old whose dad is a member, she is really good. I hope one day my daughter will play. (she is 5 now, i got time)

I was paired up with 2 older ladies just the other day. I'll admit, when I got to the first tee I was like "oh god, how bad is this going to be? I'm going to be out here all day long!" But I was pleasantly surprised that they were great players .. well one was anyway. They would help out looking for balls, go up ahead & tell me when the fairway was clear, etc. They thought they were playing with a pro at first because I birdied the first 2 holes. 🤯 I then told them as I was walking off #3 green ... "Told you I would come back to earth." because I missed the green & left with bogey.
But to the question, I haven't really seen More per se. It seems like women around my area have been playing for a long time. Especially my neighborhood full of "stay at home" moms & retirees :eek:
Playing most my golf as a single fitting in with whatever opening there is I've often enough been with women. Sometimes all 3 and other times just one or two. I have heard so many comments through the years relating to slowness whenever women are seen and honeslty I have yet to experience one single time with women that they are a pace issue. Im sure its exists jut like it does with men but i have found (when playing with them) they are most always never an issue.

But here is what is ridiculous. With golf being mostly (by far majority) men. And all the complaints and crying about pace. How what why in the world do so many men automatically assume (and even say) its going to be slow soon as they see any women? I mean how can they even think for a moment knowing full well golf is 90% or more men that the few women they see are the pace issue? I dont get it.

At your home course (or courses in your area) are you seeing more women players these days...?
I haven’t been. In my experience, the ones that play out there have been fantastic and repeatedly beat a lot of stupid male golfers.

My wife has to occasionally play to entertain clients. I told her to challenge them to a shot per hole. She’s usually the only one standing by hole 11, and wins easily playing from the tips….

Preacher kids….

Playing most my golf as a single fitting in with whatever opening there is I've often enough been with women. Sometimes all 3 and other times just one or two. I have heard so many comments through the years relating to slowness whenever women are seen and honeslty I have yet to experience one single time with women that they are a pace issue. Im sure its exists jut like it does with men but i have found (when playing with them) they are most always never an issue.

But here is what is ridiculous. With golf being mostly (by far majority) men. And all the complaints and crying about pace. How what why in the world do so many men automatically assume (and even say) its going to be slow soon as they see any women? I mean how can they even think for a moment knowing full well golf is 90% or more men that the few women they see are the pace issue? I dont get it.

I believe it comes down to two factors.

1. They play from a tee box further up. It adds time to go from the back tee to the front tee. Over 18 holes, it adds up
2. Women typically don't hit it as far as men. It can take 2, sometimes 3 shots, before they get to the man's drive.

Both add time to the round

There is one course in my area that seems to have a higher percentage of women. I believe they have a women's league so that would make sense. I do see a lot of couples but I'm not sure there are any more than any other year. I'm usually in my own little world, so...

I was playing solo one day and being held up by a group in front. A woman playing single and also walking caught up to me and I told her she was welcome to join me. Neither one of us were very good so there was no reason for either of us to give or ask for advice. She played ready golf, we complimented the good shots and talked about how hard the game could be... pretty much the same type of conversation I'd have had with any other partner.

I believe it comes down to two factors.

1. They play from a tee box further up. It adds time to go from the back tee to the front tee. Over 18 holes, it adds up
2. Women typically don't hit it as far as men. It can take 2, sometimes 3 shots, before they get to the man's drive.

Both add time to the round
But they can still move about very respectfully quick just like I can when I have a really bad ball striking day and are hacking my way from tees till holed. If one moves about with a purpose in an efficient manor keeping respectable pace is not an issue whether shooting 80 or 100.
In fact if hitting relatively short, there is little to no lost balls nor searching to do.

ended up playing with a woman today (in our group of 4 singles). She was in her 70's but she hit the ball very well for her age longer than so many who are much younger and as long as many senior men Ive seen. She was clearly one who seemed like a good player in her days of yesteryear.

Before I tell you what happened today let me first say that I am not of the political left at all and do not go for all the race nor gender diversity BS crap nor needing to be woke nor inclusive. In fact Im sick of it all. That being said I know when wrong is wrong and one the guys in our group was very condescending towards this woman. He felt some strange need to strongly overly recognize or applaud most every shot she took. But it was to the point where as it was like she wasnt suppose to hit nor do anything even half good. In the mean time she was twice the player he was and to boot he was a pace issue too. he was the only one in a cart yet was always the last one always lagging behind us all.

I mean she would make even just a basic pretty good golf shot he would be like all kinds of overly encouraging and applauding about it time and time again as though sitting on a high parent horse encouraging a child. Go out of his way even in-between shots just to pat her on the back (in a non physical sense) as though she was in need of learning the game. In the mean time she was probably playing golf longer than he has been alive. It got to the point where as i came very close to telling him what he was doing was kind of embarrassing and very condescending. I never actually brought it up to her as we often walked together and conversed but she did complain enough to me about his slowness and at one point did also imply to me "this guy is a very unique person" (paraphrasing there) and she didnt mean that in a good way. I just said yes i know.

Lets just say every once in a while i come across someone Id rather not be playing with at all and this was one of those times.

But they can still move about very respectfully quick just like I can when I have a really bad ball striking day and are hacking my way from tees till holed. If one moves about with a purpose in an efficient manor keeping respectable pace is not an issue whether shooting 80 or 100.
In fact if hitting relatively short, there is little to no lost balls nor searching to do.
A woman plays with us on Fridays. She shoots 100+ almost every round, and there's probably not a faster player on the course. She parks her cart ahead of ours at our tee box so she can get right to her tee box after we hit, and she doesn't waste a microsecond of time. Her pre-shot routine is so fast that you'll miss it if you blink, she plays ready golf and is always in position and ready when it's her turn. If she loses a ball she'll do a quick search, then drop and let's move on. I don't care what she scores, if everybody played as fast as her there would never be a slow play problem on any course. And besides all that, she's one of the happiest, most positive people you'll ever meet. Just somebody who is an all-around pleasure to golf with.

Plenty of women golfers at our 3 public courses with leagues on Monday or Wed and also on the private courses. Lots of women playing golf around here.

Back