Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Teaser until later but if I could have putted remotely better than stevie wonder after a 3 day bender I would've broken 80 today. No joking.

--
Tapatalk2
Dang, too bad, SW.

I am a little disapointed in myself. I was so excited to go and hit my new irons I went the the range and basically just smacked balls around for an hour. I never really had a plan and in the end didn't accomplish anything. I need to sit down tonight and make a plan for the next few weeks and really look at my game and where I can improve. There are a few things I would like to change w/ my swing that I think I am just going to live with at this point in the game. It is funny because the last round I had was one of my best all year and that was played with swing flaws in full effect and Jake straighting myself around the course. For some reason tonight I thought I could make a couple of changes and expect it to be perfect and ready to go. I think my prep from here on out will be on the course or around the putting/chipping greens.

Teaser until later but if I could have putted remotely better than stevie wonder after a 3 day bender I would've broken 80 today. No joking.

--
Tapatalk2

sorry to hear about the putting - keep putting yourself in position and they will fall man!

I am a little disapointed in myself. I was so excited to go and hit my new irons I went the the range and basically just smacked balls around for an hour. I never really had a plan and in the end didn't accomplish anything. I need to sit down tonight and make a plan for the next few weeks and really look at my game and where I can improve. There are a few things I would like to change w/ my swing that I think I am just going to live with at this point in the game. It is funny because the last round I had was one of my best all year and that was played with swing flaws in full effect and Jake straighting myself around the course. For some reason tonight I thought I could make a couple of changes and expect it to be perfect and ready to go. I think my prep from here on out will be on the course or around the putting/chipping greens.

Everyone is allowed some mindless swings every once in a while. At least you got to enjoy the new sticks!

Everyone is allowed some mindless swings every once in a while. At least you got to enjoy the new sticks!

I did enjoy hitting the new clubs. Looking back on it I wish I just spent the time more wisely. There are fewer and fewer hours left before the big dance.

You weenies. Just get up early and beat the sun.

Agreed. I'm playing this weekend. Got out for 9 holes after work today. Really have not been practicing lately like I want to. So knew my ball striking would be a little subpar. Surprised myself tonight. My short game saved my bacon quite a bit and my putting was on. Pretty steady round.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I did enjoy hitting the new clubs. Looking back on it I wish I just spent the time more wisely. There are fewer and fewer hours left before the big dance.

True, but it is still golf. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. I was in the mode 2 weeks ago and since then I have shot my lowest numbers of the season. "Just be the ball Danny... Be the ball......."

True, but it is still golf. Don't put too much pressure on yourself. I was in the mode 2 weeks ago and since then I have shot my lowest numbers of the season. "Just be the ball Danny... Be the ball......."

No pressure here, I was hitting the ball that bad. More upset about not having a plan or goal tonight and therefore not really accomplishing anything. Nothing like putting a little scare into your first round partner in the prep thread though.

No pressure here, I was hitting the ball that bad. More upset about not having a plan or goal tonight and therefore not really accomplishing anything. Nothing like putting a little scare into your first round partner in the prep thread though.

bahahahhaa. you just wait. I'm going to play a bubba dink cut off the first tee just for fun.

I got out my TM True Path and worked on my putting stroke for a while.

Good prep dude. My putting stroke has been inconsistent lately. Making the ones I should be, but not making as many coin flip putts as I should be.

It's something I like to go back to every now and then. I like that training aid.

Absolutely love my True Path

bahahahhaa. you just wait. I'm going to play a bubba dink cut off the first tee just for fun.

The 10 yard cut or the 30 yard cut?

Absolutely love my True Path

It did show me that the forward press delivers a pretty tight stroke. The only thing I don't like is that it makes me feel bunched up.

I've been thinking about things a little bit from reading the forums and I'm going to try an experiment on Sunday morning.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I'm going to play to distance off the tee, especially par 5's. The thread that linked the site that lets you map distances out showed me some of the yardages I can play for off the tee. My goal is to get to 7 or 8 iron range on as many holes as I can. Those are my two strongest irons and I want to see if I drop a few strokes this way.

Sounds interesting Hawk. Can you post the link. I have wanted to map out the courses in Myrtle and get an idea of how they will play. Will be fun to hear how it works out for you.

I've been thinking about things a little bit from reading the forums and I'm going to try an experiment on Sunday morning.

Nothing groundbreaking, but I'm going to play to distance off the tee, especially par 5's. The thread that linked the site that lets you map distances out showed me some of the yardages I can play for off the tee. My goal is to get to 7 or 8 iron range on as many holes as I can. Those are my two strongest irons and I want to see if I drop a few strokes this way.

You know I really need to do that more, instead of just bombing a 3W as far as I can on the second shot and end up with odd yardages. I am headed out in just a little while for our courses Friday Skins Game....usually about 30-40 guys most 10 and under indexes....should be some good prep.

Sounds interesting Hawk. Can you post the link. I have wanted to map out the courses in Myrtle and get an idea of how they will play. Will be fun to hear how it works out for you.

http://www.measurelinks.com/

If the course isn't there, just pick one nearby and move the map to the course you want. Pretty cool!

You know I really need to do that more, instead of just bombing a 3W as far as I can on the second shot and end up with odd yardages. I am headed out in just a little while for our courses Friday Skins Game....usually about 30-40 guys most 10 and under indexes....should be some good prep.

Yea, I'm curious to see if I'll see a difference. I'm pressing off the tee right now and I think this might take some pressure off me.

that's pretty interesting there Hawk. I'm going to go check it out.
Last night we were playing and I had 210 to a front pin on a par 5. Come up short and your dead. I pulled the 4 wood ready to go for it and was talked out of it by Nerfny. So I layed up and gave myself a 9 iron in to the green. Left myself with a makeable 10-12 footer that I missed. But it made me think that it just played so much easier then having to scramble.

I tried this once, and it worked, but I could not stay disciplined enough to keep doing it. Say on a short par 4 I could not convince myself to tee off with a 6 iron to have a 7 iron into the green. Good luck with it bro, I am curious to hear your results.

that's pretty interesting there Hawk. I'm going to go check it out.
Last night we were playing and I had 210 to a front pin on a par 5. Come up short and your dead. I pulled the 4 wood ready to go for it and was talked out of it by Nerfny. So I layed up and gave myself a 9 iron in to the green. Left myself with a makeable 10-12 footer that I missed. But it made me think that it just played so much easier then having to scramble.

I did this the other day playing late in the afternoon by myself....had 235 to the center...layed up and gave myself a wedge into the green....but after I hit the lay up, I made this mistake of dropping another ball and hitting 3W....stupid thing was on the back of the green with a 30 foot eagle putt....I never should have hit the second shot cause for the rest of the day and the next day I was going for everything!

Good luck with that Hawk dos Santos. I'm going to call you this weekend so we can talk strategy.

So yesterday I had another lesson with Golftec but I won't get much into it since I have a thread for that. Mostly worked on tweaking the takeaway and keeping the left (lead) ARM from breaking down as much through the impact zone. By doing a bunch of left arm only drills it showed a little improvement but still a long way to go. At this point I'm not worried about getting rid of the chicken wing entirely but moreso in getting it under control so that it is the same amount from one swing to the next. Weight transfer is getting better which is getting my left out of the way and leading to better contact.

Afterwards my instructor and I went out for 18, not a planned playing lesson but a way to get a better understanding of what I see on the course and also for me to watch and learn. I liked how he didn't jump in and tell me to hit a shot this way or that way but instead watched me play. If I played a dumb shot he would stop me and point out what I could have done instead to limit the chance of a mistake. That style of teaching has always worked the best with me in all walks of life so I'm happy that was his approach.

A few times we noticed I was upset with the result of a shot only to find that I hit said shot exactly where I was aimed, dangit! Alignment is a frustrating mistress sometimes. All in all it was a great round at a course that has took my lunch money and given me a wedgie every other time I've played it. Not yesterday, shot my best score in recent memory and was some putts away from it being a groundbreaking round. Left 3 right in the cup and burned no less than 7 edges, not oh that was close to going in, but if an ant farted on the ball it would have dropped in close.

Still walked off 18 feeling like a have turned a corner and that was a rewarding feeling.

Well, one of those freak summer thunderstorms just popped up and dropped like an inch of rain in 15 minutes...so no skins game at noon.....I will let it dry up a little and go play this afternoon in the steam bath that will ensue when the sun comes back out!

Back