Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Good stuff Danny! I think that's pretty cool that your instructor got you out on the course to watch how you play the game, instead of just watching you hit shot after shot. I bet you found that very beneficial. Congrats on the good round. And yes, alignment is a frustrating mistress

Good luck with that Hawk dos Santos. I'm going to call you this weekend so we can talk strategy.

I will clear my schedule!

So yesterday I had another lesson with Golftec but I won't get much into it since I have a thread for that. Mostly worked on tweaking the takeaway and keeping the left (lead) ARM from breaking down as much through the impact zone. By doing a bunch of left arm only drills it showed a little improvement but still a long way to go. At this point I'm not worried about getting rid of the chicken wing entirely but moreso in getting it under control so that it is the same amount from one swing to the next. Weight transfer is getting better which is getting my left out of the way and leading to better contact.

Afterwards my instructor and I went out for 18, not a planned playing lesson but a way to get a better understanding of what I see on the course and also for me to watch and learn. I liked how he didn't jump in and tell me to hit a shot this way or that way but instead watched me play. If I played a dumb shot he would stop me and point out what I could have done instead to limit the chance of a mistake. That style of teaching has always worked the best with me in all walks of life so I'm happy that was his approach.

A few times we noticed I was upset with the result of a shot only to find that I hit said shot exactly where I was aimed, dangit! Alignment is a frustrating mistress sometimes. All in all it was a great round at a course that has took my lunch money and given me a wedgie every other time I've played it. Not yesterday, shot my best score in recent memory and was some putts away from it being a groundbreaking round. Left 3 right in the cup and burned no less than 7 edges, not oh that was close to going in, but if an ant farted on the ball it would have dropped in close.

Still walked off 18 feeling like a have turned a corner and that was a rewarding feeling.

Great post, SW. I'm really happy for you! I'd like to do something like a playing lesson here one of these days. I'm curious to hear where I could minimize the stupidness.

I've had it up to here with work right now so I'm going to finish this one job right now and then get some work in at the course.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

You tell em Breezy! Lol

You tell em Breezy! Lol

I'm close man. For now I'm going to make sure the job is complete and then take time for me.

This weekend is Canada day long weekend so it will be full of family time and probably not a lot of golf.

I'm close man. For now I'm going to make sure the job is complete and then take time for me.

This weekend is Canada day long weekend so it will be full of family time and probably not a lot of golf.

Is that like 4th of July only Canadian?

So yesterday I had another lesson with Golftec but I won't get much into it since I have a thread for that. Mostly worked on tweaking the takeaway and keeping the left (lead) ARM from breaking down as much through the impact zone. By doing a bunch of left arm only drills it showed a little improvement but still a long way to go. At this point I'm not worried about getting rid of the chicken wing entirely but moreso in getting it under control so that it is the same amount from one swing to the next. Weight transfer is getting better which is getting my left out of the way and leading to better contact.

Afterwards my instructor and I went out for 18, not a planned playing lesson but a way to get a better understanding of what I see on the course and also for me to watch and learn. I liked how he didn't jump in and tell me to hit a shot this way or that way but instead watched me play. If I played a dumb shot he would stop me and point out what I could have done instead to limit the chance of a mistake. That style of teaching has always worked the best with me in all walks of life so I'm happy that was his approach.

A few times we noticed I was upset with the result of a shot only to find that I hit said shot exactly where I was aimed, dangit! Alignment is a frustrating mistress sometimes. All in all it was a great round at a course that has took my lunch money and given me a wedgie every other time I've played it. Not yesterday, shot my best score in recent memory and was some putts away from it being a groundbreaking round. Left 3 right in the cup and burned no less than 7 edges, not oh that was close to going in, but if an ant farted on the ball it would have dropped in close.

Still walked off 18 feeling like a have turned a corner and that was a rewarding feeling.

Danny I have followed your MC journey pretty closely and this post makes me very happy. I truly want to see you go down there and light it up.

Danny I have followed your MC journey pretty closely and this post makes me very happy. I truly want to see you go down there and light it up.

I think he will play well down there. He has put in a ton of work since finding out he was in the MC. It's pretty inspirational really

I will clear my schedule!

Great post, SW. I'm really happy for you! I'd like to do something like a playing lesson here one of these days. I'm curious to hear where I could minimize the stupidness.

Thanks hawk and chunky. Long way to go but my workries about being the weakest link are a driving force.

Hawk what became clear is that I don't look at the layout of the hole, especially when I'm in a bad spot. Basically he wants to be more aware in those situations and know what my options are instead of taking the first shot I see. I'm reacting instead of thinking first and that can bite me.

--
Tapatalk2

Played 18 this am on my home course. Shot a very very solid 82. Didn't score as well as I could have only due to 2 or 3 swings in the round. For the most part, I made exactly what shots I needed to make and hit the shots I needed to hit. Very happy with the last few rounds I have played.

Awesome post man. Really glad to hear those positives baby!!

Thanks hawk and chunky. Long way to go but my workries about being the weakest link are a driving force.

Hawk what became clear is that I don't look at the layout of the hole, especially when I'm in a bad spot. Basically he wants to be more aware in those situations and know what my options are instead of taking the first shot I see. I'm reacting instead of thinking first and that can bite me.

--
Tapatalk2

That makes a lot of sense and it's something I'm guilty of all the time. Same way off the tee. I just pick a spot and try to hit rather than think of what I could do to make the hole easier.

Played 18 this am on my home course. Shot a very very solid 82. Didn't score as well as I could have only due to 2 or 3 swings in the round. For the most part, I made exactly what shots I needed to make and hit the shots I needed to hit. Very happy with the last few rounds I have played.

Really happy to read this, I know that you're going to play well down there!

Really happy to read this, I know that you're going to play well down there!

Thanks dude! I plan on it. The game is coming together nicely!

Sic em ghsace! :deadhorse: You Paradise Hulksters or gonna be on them hackers & staffers, like a hungry Hog on a prize corn cob :hungry:

Sic em ghsace! :deadhorse: You Paradise Hulksters or gonna be on them hackers & staffers, like a hungry Hog on a prize corn cob :hungry:

Thanks OG!! We will do our best!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

Just got off the range, now rehydrating with a shout-out to my boy Staples.

aefc2bf5-1a48-0773.jpg

More when I get home, but the other teams need to know this now: I found my driver swing today!

Sent from Tapatalk

Just got off the range, now rehydrating with a shout-out to my boy Staples.

aefc2bf5-1a48-0773.jpg

More when I get home, but the other teams need to know this now: I found my driver swing today!

Sent from Tapatalk

I just heard a collective groan from team THP and team Hackers.....

I just heard a collective groan from team THP and team Hackers.....

Nah...if he can lose it once...hahahah...JK Doc. Glad you have found it.

glad you found your driver swing Amol. I know it was bothering the heck out of you.

Good to hear Ary, I know that's been bugging you. Ddec just did a happy dance :alien:

--
Tapatalk2

Well as I mentioned a couple days ago, I have just been burned out lately. Working too much, working in a building with no AC and hot temps, and then trying to get out and practice several days a week had just really taken its toll on me. So I haven't really picked up a club much in the last 10 days or so, but the last couple of days I have just really tried to catch up on a lot of sleep and made sure I was eating good and just trying to get my energy back. Today I was feeling pretty good and I have been anxious to get back out and swing the X-Forged irons. I didn't go in having high expectations even though I have been playing well, I figured after the time off that would lead to a few bad shots, but I must say I hit the ball wonderfully. I started with some short half wedge shots, then moved to short irons, mid irons, and then long irons and woods. Throughout the bag I was just hitting the ball great and I was really excited. I should have some time to get out for a round or two this weekend if it doesn't rain and I'm really looking forward to it.

Well as I mentioned a couple days ago, I have just been burned out lately. Working too much, working in a building with no AC and hot temps, and then trying to get out and practice several days a week had just really taken its toll on me. So I haven't really picked up a club much in the last 10 days or so, but the last couple of days I have just really tried to catch up on a lot of sleep and made sure I was eating good and just trying to get my energy back. Today I was feeling pretty good and I have been anxious to get back out and swing the X-Forged irons. I didn't go in having high expectations even though I have been playing well, I figured after the time off that would lead to a few bad shots, but I must say I hit the ball wonderfully. I started with some short half wedge shots, then moved to short irons, mid irons, and then long irons and woods. Throughout the bag I was just hitting the ball great and I was really excited. I should have some time to get out for a round or two this weekend if it doesn't rain and I'm really looking forward to it.

Nice to hear IN!! That's always a nice surprise dude

Sent from my BlackBerry 9330 using Tapatalk

Happy to hear you got out IN. Working your tail off sure does sap the motivation to go out sweat your butt off on the range. Hit em well this weekend!

--
Tapatalk2

Back