Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Sounds like a tough day IN...I had my struggle off the tee yesterday on the front 9...hence the 47. I made the turn and I forced myself to choke up a half inch and take easy 80% swings.....guess what...not only was I hitting the fairway...but I was hitting it as far as normal and even had a couple of bombs for me.

Maybe you are just trying to hit the ball too hard....that's what I was doing.

My prep today consisted of resting on the coach and THPing all day. I just need some time to rest and relax and calm down from the hours I've been working and have a nice weekend with the family.

This week will be a lot of range time as I get prepared for the MC and the Bear Mountain Amateur and maybe one round of golf if I can slip it in somewhere.

My prep today consisted of resting on the coach and THPing all day. I just need some time to rest and relax and calm down from the hours I've been working and have a nice weekend with the family.

This week will be a lot of range time as I get prepared for the MC and the Bear Mountain Amateur and maybe one round of golf if I can slip it in somewhere.

I had to do the same thing last week CB, so much work I was just getting tired. I'm definitely feeling ready to hit the course again. I am loving the X Forged irons dude they are so much fun to play with.

I had to do the same thing last week CB, so much work I was just getting tired. I'm definitely feeling ready to hit the course again. I am loving the X Forged irons dude they are so much fun to play with.
They are amazing.

Ive been working crazy hours for about 2 months now and it's starting to catch up to me. I just need to chill a little.

My prep might be coming to an end for a bit. Last weekend I was BBQing and as I was laying the coals down one fell onto the patio. I never go outside barefoot. Well almost never. Stepped on the lit coal and WOW! Couldn't get the darn thing off my foot either. Well on Thursday I played and it started to really bother me at the end of 9. Yesterday I could not really walk comfortably on it. There is a big hard lump there. I think I need to go to the doctor on Monday. I will try and play sometime this weekend though.

Try using some mole skin on the sole of your foot. If there is still a large blister/wound, you can cut out the middle of the pad for the "donut" effect.
Are you using any creams or salves on it?

Do you have a range routine that you are using?
I am really trying to sharpen my game up too, but my range times doesn't seem to provide any net gain.

Since I am playing Breezy twice on Saturday and I couldnt get to the golf course today...I prepped by studying Canadian...I had a pizza with Candian Bacon and I drank a 6'er of Moosehead beer to go with it!

I was going to try and make poutine.....but we don't have an abundance of cheese curds in Texas.

Golf is so weird. I literally told Yoccos yesterday that I was thinking of just quitting after the Morgan Cup. Got damn I get so frustrated some times and I was really trying to figure out what the whole point of it all was.

Thanks to Captain JB for giving me a swing thought that wasn't really a swing thought so I could clear my damn head. Belt buckle to the target and tried to just smooth it today. Didn't really play spectacular, but I hit the ball forward almost the whole time. Had a birdie and made a few putts that counted as well.

The wedge practice is really helping.

Golf is so weird. I literally told Yoccos yesterday that I was thinking of just quitting after the Morgan Cup. Got damn I get so frustrated some times and I was really trying to figure out what the whole point of it all was.

Thanks to Captain JB for giving me a swing thought that wasn't really a swing thought so I could clear my damn head. Belt buckle to the target and tried to just smooth it today. Didn't really play spectacular, but I hit the ball forward almost the whole time. Had a birdie and made a few putts that counted as well.

The wedge practice is really helping.

Man I can totally feel your frustrations Hawkster. I feel like Ive been there for months trying to get things back to an enjoyable place again. Working on it and I know it will get there. Golf is so mental but I just think its all physical when its really not. Keep working on bro.

Dudes, I'm always telling you guys to simplify. Shrink your thought processes. Literally focus on little things that have nothing to do with club positions or any of that stuff. Slow and low takeaway, back to the target, head down, hammer! I love you guys, you're some of my best buds on earth and I hate it when you guys get into golf strugglesville b/c I can't fix it. Here's the thing, for both of you, I have played golf with both and have seen great golf out of both, so it's in there. But I can tell you that having a brain full of stuff while trying to golf won't help you find it.

Thanks guys. I know its the damn brain. I'll never understand how you go from a week of horrible swings to your lowest score of the year lol.

Posted via tapatalk

Thanks guys. I know its the damn brain. I'll never understand how you go from a week of horrible swings to your lowest score of the year lol.

Posted via tapatalk

Because that's golf for everyone for their first few years dude. I swear it is. It takes so much time, patience, and effort to get to where you think you want to be, and once you get there, it's not enough.

Since I am playing Breezy twice on Saturday and I couldnt get to the golf course today...I prepped by studying Canadian...I had a pizza with Candian Bacon and I drank a 6'er of Moosehead beer to go with it!

I was going to try and make poutine.....but we don't have an abundance of cheese curds in Texas.

That's a good strategy. I wish you luck.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted via tapatalk

Buddy I am with you 100% on that. Like TC said though, simplifying the process makes it easier to work on things. Like last week I was on grip and takeaway and this week on alignment. I've seen some good improvements over those weeks. Now if I could just score better. Yesterday I hit the ball extremely well but just didn't get much out of the round. I missed 4 birdie putts inside of 10 feet and missed a bunch of par putts from about 6. Tee to green one of my better days in a while, but the other stuff just wasn't there.

Buddy I am with you 100% on that. Like TC said though, simplifying the process makes it easier to work on things. Like last week I was on grip and takeaway and this week on alignment. I've seen some good improvements over those weeks. Now if I could just score better. Yesterday I hit the ball extremely well but just didn't get much out of the round. I missed 4 birdie putts inside of 10 feet and missed a bunch of par putts from about 6. Tee to green one of my better days in a while, but the other stuff just wasn't there.

Sucks, we like to call that "westwooding", LOL

Sucks, we like to call that "westwooding", LOL

It was a very good example of Westwood golf. No penalties hit a slew of greens. 1 blow up hole(triple) and made no putts.

Prep work was getting my alignment and iron distances down. The round was at least good for that.

It was a very good example of Westwood golf. No penalties hit a slew of greens. 1 blow up hole(triple) and made no putts.

Prep work was getting my alignment and iron distances down. The round was at least good for that.

Yep, and let's be honest, that's what you've been focused on. Not scoring. So to see those kinds of results is awesome.

Yep, and let's be honest, that's what you've been focused on. Not scoring. So to see those kinds of results is awesome.

Yup, even though the scores aren't where I want them I think I'm hitting the ball much more solid. Just got to tie it all together and it will be fine. It's only a matter of time.

Yup, even though the scores aren't where I want them I think I'm hitting the ball much more solid. Just got to tie it all together and it will be fine. It's only a matter of time.

And when it comes to things like the MC par's will do you well. And beat most of your opponents.

Honesty, it all went downhill after the outing for me. I get so annoyed by hitting the ball short and I went straight to my instructor to have him tell me how to hit it harder. That destroyed my tee game in a matter of days lol. Then everything else followed. It wasn't that he told me something that didn't work, just that I couldn't wrap my head around it I guess.

Interestingly, I hit my longest 6 iron in a long time today and it was maybe my smoothest swing all day. Just need to trust that a smooth move will make the club go fast.

I am back to feeling pretty good about my game after a few rounds this week. I fixed an issue w/ my swing and have started to play smarter golf. It will be interesting to see how my game transfers to Myrtle Beach. Due to the narrow tree lines fairways I have be happy being short and in the fairway vs. long and in trouble. I would love to know what distance we will be playing the courses to get an idea of what my strengths and weaknesses will be as my prep moves forward. If I can keep shooting in the low 80's like I have the last couple times out on my home course I should be in good shape.

Good thoughts man. TC also. I like that you are putting yourself in position to score though. To me that is very very important.

I am back to feeling pretty good about my game after a few rounds this week. I fixed an issue w/ my swing and have started to play smarter golf. It will be interesting to see how my game transfers to Myrtle Beach. Due to the narrow tree lines fairways I have be happy being short and in the fairway vs. long and in trouble. I would love to know what distance we will be playing the courses to get an idea of what my strengths and weaknesses will be as my prep moves forward. If I can keep shooting in the low 80's like I have the last couple times out on my home course I should be in good shape.

If you keep it here, you will be in great shape man!!

Hawk I just read this. If you ever want to talk about it don't hesitate. You and I seem to work on the same things and I would be happy to talk about the swing anytime. TC is right though. Once on the course it needs to be kept simple.

Got out midday today and got in 27 holes. Worked on just hitting a certain spot in my backswing and then just remember to finish the swing. Tied a personal best for 18 and followed that with a 1 over 9 holes.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Prep work this weekend was playing a round on Saturday and getting used to my gear under playing conditions and incorporating some swing tips I've been working on while today was focusing on working on those new swing tips further. On the course I was really focusing on 1) not letting mistakes get to me, 2) not letting a mistake become another mistake and 3) leave each hole (good or bad) behind me. All were hard to do especially on the front 9 of my round where I couldn't get my swing going but really focusing on #3 I was able to rebound and have a good back 9. I'm working on taking more of a 3/4 swing and getting more weight on my left side. The latter is still hard to do with consistency with the current state of my back but when I do everything comes together nicely. The great thing about doing a 3/4 swing for me now is that even if I don't get me weight fully to my left my mistakes are minimized much better and the ball still goes straight albeit shorter. I know the distance will come over time but for now I'm a club short with everything and that's tough to remember sometimes

Back