Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Solid day Chunky! I like hearing about folks shooting low, even if they are despicable hackers...grrr! Stick in there Hanks, the positive attitude will be a big help as you implement changes.

Today I had a mini range session, 20 balls and no swing thoughts. Sometimes I can paralyze myself by thinking too much so today I grabbed my 9 iron found something @ 135yds and peppered it. 1 bad strike which was a touch thin, otherwise I either stuck the green or hit and bounced off. After that I teed up 5 balls and swung driver without taking time to over think my swing. All mid high and straight to a slight draw.

Should've practiced my putting though...doh! I'm hitting my putts exactly where I want in terms of break but I keep over reading the break or missing a subtle break. Frustrating to not be able to convert the midrange putts more often.

--
Tapatalk2

Hawk I just read this. If you ever want to talk about it don't hesitate. You and I seem to work on the same things and I would be happy to talk about the swing anytime. TC is right though. Once on the course it needs to be kept simple.

Got out midday today and got in 27 holes. Worked on just hitting a certain spot in my backswing and then just remember to finish the swing. Tied a personal best for 18 and followed that with a 1 over 9 holes.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2
Nice job Chunky!! Great to hear man! That is 27 holes of super solid golf bro.

Prep work this weekend was playing a round on Saturday and getting used to my gear under playing conditions and incorporating some swing tips I've been working on while today was focusing on working on those new swing tips further. On the course I was really focusing on 1) not letting mistakes get to me, 2) not letting a mistake become another mistake and 3) leave each hole (good or bad) behind me. All were hard to do especially on the front 9 of my round where I couldn't get my swing going but really focusing on #3 I was able to rebound and have a good back 9. I'm working on taking more of a 3/4 swing and getting more weight on my left side. The latter is still hard to do with consistency with the current state of my back but when I do everything comes together nicely. The great thing about doing a 3/4 swing for me now is that even if I don't get me weight fully to my left my mistakes are minimized much better and the ball still goes straight albeit shorter. I know the distance will come over time but for now I'm a club short with everything and that's tough to remember sometimes

Nice post dude. Seriously important stuff. I love that we are talking mental prep as well as physical prep.

Solid day Chunky! I like hearing about folks shooting low, even if they are despicable hackers...grrr! Stick in there Hanks, the positive attitude will be a big help as you implement changes.

Today I had a mini range session, 20 balls and no swing thoughts. Sometimes I can paralyze myself by thinking too much so today I grabbed my 9 iron found something @ 135yds and peppered it. 1 bad strike which was a touch thin, otherwise I either stuck the green or hit and bounced off. After that I teed up 5 balls and swung driver without taking time to over think my swing. All mid high and straight to a slight draw.

Should've practiced my putting though...doh! I'm hitting my putts exactly where I want in terms of break but I keep over reading the break or missing a subtle break. Frustrating to not be able to convert the midrange putts more often.

--
Tapatalk2

And your round was pretty solid if I remember correctly!

Thanks dude...the sports shrink has really helped me with my thought process and dealing with things. I easily could have bagged my last round after the miserable start and bad front 9 I had on Saturday but never got too down and pulled a positive out of every hole and used that to turn myself around on the back 9

Nice post dude. Seriously important stuff. I love that we are talking mental prep as well as physical prep.

I don't go out in this heat and golf. I prepped by swimming and watching golf, LOL

Nice stuff to read about this evening though guys. Seriously, good stuff. Everyone's hitting their stride.

And your round was pretty solid if I remember correctly!

It was, I'm tickled with the way it's trending. Just gotta keep pushing towards my goals.

--
Tapatalk2

Honesty, it all went downhill after the outing for me. I get so annoyed by hitting the ball short and I went straight to my instructor to have him tell me how to hit it harder. That destroyed my tee game in a matter of days lol. Then everything else followed. It wasn't that he told me something that didn't work, just that I couldn't wrap my head around it I guess.

Interestingly, I hit my longest 6 iron in a long time today and it was maybe my smoothest swing all day. Just need to trust that a smooth move will make the club go fast.

I know I tease you about being a short knocker, but dude, you are not that short, and if you keep it in the middle who cares.

Hawk I just read this. If you ever want to talk about it don't hesitate. You and I seem to work on the same things and I would be happy to talk about the swing anytime. TC is right though. Once on the course it needs to be kept simple.

Got out midday today and got in 27 holes. Worked on just hitting a certain spot in my backswing and then just remember to finish the swing. Tied a personal best for 18 and followed that with a 1 over 9 holes.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

First off, congrats on the scoring for the 27 holes. Secondly, you are freaking crazy for playing 27 holes today.

I don't go out in this heat and golf. I prepped by swimming and watching golf, LOL

Nice stuff to read about this evening though guys. Seriously, good stuff. Everyone's hitting their stride.

I am with you bro. Playing in record high temps is just not my idea of a good time. It was crazy hot out there today.

Since it rained Saturday and Sunday....I prepped by doing some core workouts and watching tons of golf on TV, oh and I cleaned my clubs. :D

Since it rained Saturday and Sunday....I prepped by doing some core workouts and watching tons of golf on TV, oh and I cleaned my clubs. :D

Seriously underrated prep IMO. Nice work dude. I need to do this tomorrow after my round. I try to do it well during the round, but it is still important to do give em a really good scrubbing once in a while!

Well, this week is going to be a little different with the holiday and some forecasted temps that aren't supposed to be below 96°. I'm hoping to go out and get some wedge practice tonight. If not, I'll hit up the putting green.

I've said it before, but I think my range time is going to be pretty limited going forward. I think I'm just going to do swing drills in it's place because I think I let frustration ruin what could be valuable practice.

Another thing I'm going to start doing is forcing myself to take some practice swings before I hit the ball. Worked well for me yesterday in that it loosens me up and helps me get the feel I'm looking for. I'd love to be able to not take any, but it's not really working out like that. I promise I won't be slow.

I always take a practice swing. That's not being too slow.

I don't know why, but I take a few when I play by myself, but get out of it when I'm with other people. It's not really even a practice swing. It's actually the core swing drill I've had since my first lesson. I just try to replicate the last one and let it fly.

I have a good prep plan this week:

Monday (today): head to my home course and play either 9 or 18 with irons only. See how the 5 iron works off of the tee and just get more acclimated with the DPC's.
Tuesday: play a challenging course that I have played a few times over the last 3 months. Very nice course and playing match play against a fellow THP'er that will definitely pose quite the challenge.
Wednesday: playing another local course that I have not played in over a year that has much more undulation than most local courses. Playing with dad and 2 uncles so will definitely have some wagers going.
Thursday: TBD

All in all, a good week of golf ahead for me not only getting used to the new irons but also playing different greens which is needed right now.

Good luck out there, Cookie. It looks like a busy week for you. I'm trying to figure out how to play on 7/4. Might have to get up real early for that one.

Can't believe that this is getting so close. Starting to feel really real right now.

Good luck out there, Cookie. It looks like a busy week for you. I'm trying to figure out how to play on 7/4. Might have to get up real early for that one.

Can't believe that this is getting so close. Starting to feel really real right now.

Thanks and I hear ya - it is getting really close. I had a very hectic June and did not get out as much as I would like but except for this upcoming weekend I have free reign to get out there basically everyday. I see quite a bit of 9 holes played in the evenings along with some short game practice before/after.

3 weeks from tomorrow morning we will be on the road. Just when it seemed like the day would never arrive, looking back it has actually flown by.

sounds like a great week of golf for Cookie.

as for myself....Tuesday is our 18th Annual Chris Shall Memorial Tournament. It's the golf event I look forward to the most every year (well, maybe not this year...but you know what i mean). My dad has been running this like a well oiled drum for so long and although not a humongous tourney, it's easily the favorite with everyone around my hometown. people travel back for the 4th of July holiday and get in this tourney, so it's a great time to see everyone and enjoy some good golf and good times afterwards.
what started out as a fun yearly scramble, with some money and gag trophies, consisting of maybe 8 guys, has turned into my favorite tourney, and i'm sure many others feel the same. unfortunately not long after its' inception, it was to become a Memorial tournament after Chris had passed on in a drunk driving incident. 50% of the money taken in goes towards (2) local sports-focused scholarships (1 male, 1 female) for senior athletes, looking to continue their sports into college. each year, there are also many anonymous donations and even with a smaller turn-out (usually only 30-40 total) we always raise an astonishing amount of money.

anyway...it's a two-man scramble, names are drawn from the opposite end of the hdcp spectrum, to create high-low or mid-mid hdcp teams, which makes it about as fair as possible. there are prizes on every hole (if not more), gag prizes, putting contests and lots of beer to be drank afterwards.
this will be my 10th year playing...i've taken 2nd twice and i think 3rd once, maybe. i'd really like to win this year.

i'm rambling on here in the prep thread about not prep stuff.
to the point....i'll be playing 9 tonight at the course for some practice and then in the tourney tomorrow for some good 2 man scramble prep. and i might try to sneak in a round on wednesday too.
but thursday we have another league challenge where we face off against the league that goes off the other 9 on our same night. we won last year and i'm pretty sure we can take it again this year. i at least know i will do my part...

in conclusion....it'll be a good week of holiday golf. stay safe out there.

sounds like a great week of golf for Cookie.

as for myself....Tuesday is our 18th Annual Chris Shall Memorial Tournament. It's the golf event I look forward to the most every year (well, maybe not this year...but you know what i mean). My dad has been running this like a well oiled drum for so long and although not a humongous tourney, it's easily the favorite with everyone around my hometown. people travel back for the 4th of July holiday and get in this tourney, so it's a great time to see everyone and enjoy some good golf and good times afterwards.
what started out as a fun yearly scramble, with some money and gag trophies, consisting of maybe 8 guys, has turned into my favorite tourney, and i'm sure many others feel the same. unfortunately not long after its' inception, it was to become a Memorial tournament after Chris had passed on in a drunk driving incident. 50% of the money taken in goes towards (2) local sports-focused scholarships (1 male, 1 female) for senior athletes, looking to continue their sports into college. each year, there are also many anonymous donations and even with a smaller turn-out (usually only 30-40 total) we always raise an astonishing amount of money.

anyway...it's a two-man scramble, names are drawn from the opposite end of the hdcp spectrum, to create high-low or mid-mid hdcp teams, which makes it about as fair as possible. there are prizes on every hole (if not more), gag prizes, putting contests and lots of beer to be drank afterwards.
this will be my 10th year playing...i've taken 2nd twice and i think 3rd once, maybe. i'd really like to win this year.

i'm rambling on here in the prep thread about not prep stuff.
to the point....i'll be playing 9 tonight at the course for some practice and then in the tourney tomorrow for some good 2 man scramble prep. and i might try to sneak in a round on wednesday too.
but thursday we have another league challenge where we face off against the league that goes off the other 9 on our same night. we won last year and i'm pretty sure we can take it again this year. i at least know i will do my part...

in conclusion....it'll be a good week of holiday golf. stay safe out there.

Tyno, that sounds like a great tournament. It's obvious that it means a great deal to you and it's a special event, and it's wonderful that all of you raise money for kids to get scholarships. Best of luck in the tournament!

I just got home from an early morning round, shot 41-39 for 80. My ball striking still isn't where I want it to be (only hit 4 fairways and 5 greens), but my misses were not as bad as last week, missed a few fairways and greens by only a few feet. Plus, my short game and putting were on point today, had 5 1-putt greens on the back side. Considering my career low round is 79, I was pretty happy after I walked off of 18 as it was a day where I didn't hit the ball all that well, but grinded out a good round for me. Hopefully I can get into the mid 70s like Chunky soon!

Tyno, that sounds like a great tournament. It's obvious that it means a great deal to you and it's a special event, and it's wonderful that all of you raise money for kids to get scholarships. Best of luck in the tournament!

I just got home from an early morning round, shot 41-39 for 80. My ball striking still isn't where I want it to be (only hit 4 fairways and 5 greens), but my misses were not as bad as last week, missed a few fairways and greens by only a few feet. Plus, my short game and putting were on point today, had 5 1-putt greens on the back side. Considering my career low round is 79, I was pretty happy after I walked off of 18 as it was a day where I didn't hit the ball all that well, but grinded out a good round for me. Hopefully I can get into the mid 70s like Chunky soon!

I think you are saving your mid 70's rounds for the end of July!

Wow lots of good prep going on in here. I think one of the best things about the Morgan cup is the amount of work people are putting into their games.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Very nice Ary. The 75 is deceiving as it was a short course with lots of doglegs.

Very nice Ary. The 75 is deceiving as it was a short course with lots of doglegs.

LOL, what does that matter? It's still a 75 bro. You're too critical of yourself sometimes chunkster.

No doubt. Still have to get the ball in the hole, Chunky.

LOL, what does that matter? It's still a 75 bro. You're too critical of yourself sometimes chunkster.

No doubt. Still have to get the ball in the hole, Chunky.

Maybe you guys can talk some sense into him. I keep telling him that it makes it a little tougher because it isn't just bombs away off the tee every time and you have to use every club in the bag at that course, but he doesn't listen.

Maybe you guys can talk some sense into him. I keep telling him that it makes it a little tougher because it isn't just bombs away off the tee every time and you have to use every club in the bag at that course, but he doesn't listen.

He's always hard on himself. It's what he does. It doesn't make much sense to me but who knows. A 75 in those conditions is good, I don't care how long/short the course is.

Back