Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

JB needs to play against bad golfers in order to get ready for Team Hackers and Paradise.

Any MCers have tips for not releasing the club head early?

This might be for another thread...

This might be for another thread...

What? I want to know if any MCers are going to work on not releasing the clubhead early and how are they going to work on that.

My bro took me out 4 & 3 today. Wow, he was tough today. All I am saying is it is hard to beat a guy who has 7 birdies. I held my own for a bit.

But, as far as prep, I got some good prep for TMC, it taught me that I am never out...well, till the last 3 holes...haha

My bro took me out 4 & 3 today. Wow, he was tough today. All I am saying is it is hard to beat a guy who has 7 birdies. I held my own for a bit.

But, as far as prep, I got some good prep for TMC, it taught me that I am never out...well, till the last 3 holes...haha
Wow, 7 birdies, that's what I call MC prep work right there! I know you guys had a blast!

7 birdies against you and only losing 4&3 isn't too bad. Certainly stings though.

We had a good time. We both are focusing on similar aspects of the game. One thing I'm working on is attacking the Par 5's. I did that quite well today as I shot 2 under on them. Playing with One-t is fantastic prep work for this event b/c we'll play a lot and it's always against each other. He's gunning to beat me and I'm gunning to stay undefeated. We also talked a lot about never being out of the hole, I think that's something that I need to remember, that no matter what happens off the tee, the hole isn't over until it's over.

For my "WINTER" preparation. I'm getting a putting green for the basement and a Net with mat to hit balls inside my garage. I really need to work on putting but at the same time don't want to lose my swing memory...

Great work guys. Seems like you're all headed in the right direction. I'd be putting 100 balls a day and reading every book I could on the mental side of competition. Bad putting and getting pulled off my game? Would be a long weekend.

Spent 2 and a half hours on the range late this afternoon and never hit a club above a PW....focused all on short game....full shots, 3/4 and 1/2 shots....low, high...you name it if it can be done with a wedge then I hit it tonight.....spent about 45 minutes at the end on putting....it was a good session, plan on another tomorrow afternoon as well.

Spent 2 and a half hours on the range late this afternoon and never hit a club above a PW....focused all on short game....full shots, 3/4 and 1/2 shots....low, high...you name it if it can be done with a wedge then I hit it tonight.....spent about 45 minutes at the end on putting....it was a good session, plan on another tomorrow afternoon as well.

That's a solid session, Tim!

My mom got me a copy of the Little Red Book for my birthday and I was reading through it last night. I've read it before, but it's enjoyable. Three things really stood out to me that I'll be working on:

1) The easiest way to drop five strokes from your game is short game practice. I have all winter to work on my full swing, but I'm going to commit to spending at least 50% of my practice time next year on the short game. Seems easy, but I think many of us know that we are not even close to that number.

2) No negative thoughts!

3) Taking dead aim. Basically, shutting out the world and concentrating on nothing but the shot at hand. Sort of goes with number 2 and it's hard for me!

I have been finding my old swing as of late. I have shortened it up and doing my best to keep my hands from going above my shoulder. This feels very much like the swing I had when the scores really started dropping. My natural tendency is to let my swing get way too long. When I do this I am hitting my right to left shot shape that I just love so much.

I am also going to try to recreate the setup I am going with in my current clubs. I am going to bend my 52 to a 51 and I am going to bend my 56 to a 57 and drop my 60 altogether. I am going to put a 3 hybrid back in the bag to see if it will fill the distance between my 20º 3 iron and my 15º 3 wood. I am also contemplating getting a 5 wood to see how I like it. I am typically much better with woods than hybrids. I think it is a mental thing.

Edit: I am also thinking of getting a used putter that is 350 grams and having the loft changed to 3º to try to recreate the awesome Bettinardi putter as much as possible (Something that can't be done really, because it wont have the beautiful Bettinardi feel or pure roll).

I spent a little time at PGA SS in an attempt to this some Bridgestone gear to get a feel for what I'm going to be using. Unfortunately I wasn't able to hit the J40 line.

I did spend quite a bit of time in the sims working on something that caught my eye from a video lesson Tadashi had. I was getting a feeling for setting my club and wow... It was almost like night and day. I'll be drilling this at the range and I'm really excited to see where it goes.

The weather here is getting pretty cold now so even going to the range is not much of an option as i wouldn't be able to keep warm and i hate wearing to many cloths while trying to swing. There is no indoor ranges anywhere near me which really annoys me as they would def make money with a couple of bays and an indoor putting green. So for the moment my MC preparation will be done in the gym and pool working on my strength and fitness

my small workout plan will also be coupled with watching Tin Cup as many times as humanly possible...
if that's not good MC2.0 preparation, i dunno what is....

my small workout plan will also be coupled with watching Tin Cup as many times as humanly possible...
if that's not good MC2.0 preparation, i dunno what is....

haha... You know what though, I think you do have to keep a level head about all this. Your game is going to be what it is, not that working to improve is a bad thing, in fact I'm doing it but you just have to be realistic.

I plan on working hard but also remembering this is fun.

haha... You know what though, I think you do have to keep a level head about all this. Your game is going to be what it is, not that working to improve is a bad thing, in fact I'm doing it but you just have to be realistic.

I plan on working hard but also remembering this is fun.

That's always going to stay in my mind. I watched some people, you included, that sort of let it take over their whole being. I'm going to be working hard to improve, but I'll be keeping it fun along the way.

I think I might finally be able to get some work in today so I thought I would finally post in this thread and I know you've all been waiting.

For me, I have been working on my swing for aboot a year now, and I feel its finally where I would like it to be and the goal for the next 8 months is to keep it where it is, if not make it better. Where I am going to spend the bulk of my time is in the short game. My club just built a new short game practice facility and I am going to be there at least 10 hours a week, just working on my short game.

Today I am going to play if the course is open, and if its not then I am going to the range.

That's always going to stay in my mind. I watched some people, you included, that sort of let it take over their whole being. I'm going to be working hard to improve, but I'll be keeping it fun along the way.

It sure did Hawk... A little pep talk from the Captains (yup both) and I was back. That's probably the biggest piece of preparation I'm taking to this next one.

Its gonna be so much fun meeting everyone, considering we all chat on here on a daily basis. It is at the end of the day a competition but i have a feeling fun is gonna be a huge part of TMC

Putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt.

That's me this winter with a trip or two a week to the indoor range. I'd love to be automatic from 10ft next season.

Putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt putt.

That's me this winter with a trip or two a week to the indoor range. I'd love to be automatic from 10ft next season.

dude, could you imagine walking up to any 10 footer knowing you are going to make it? having a round with 25 putts would not be that hard if you could do that.

I absolutely agree guys. Does my game need improvement? Yes, when won't it. Do I need to work on certain areas of my game? Absolutely. Can I still duff/blade a shot like the best of them? You bet. Do I enjoy asking questions like statements and answering them myself? Sure do.

Personally...the Morgan Cup 2.0 was just the right shove I needed to get back on a small workout regime though. It's more of a personal thing, rather than a golf thing but if my game reaps some benefits, then great. I'm slowly realizing that staying healthy and eating right is very important anymore.

But like you said Yoccos...my game is what it is. If I'm a 10 now, it's not like I'm gonna be a 5 in seven months time.

I honestly believe I will make the putts that I have to. Confidence is massive in this event. Not cocky but confident. I make putts that deflates people. Always have. I also play better when I'm pissed off. Right Jake?

Played 18 holes today with fellow THPer Mward and did so in matchplay format. Played good golf scoring wise, but really wanted to focus on the matchplay dynamic. As with most things Team THP, I disposed of my opponent 3 and 2 and shot 75. Match play leading up to next summer will give me a good idea of where to take chances and where not to.

My short game practice is really paying off and I am going to continue it through next summer.

I am going to be playing match play against people more often as well. I have done it occassionally before but now I am going to do it as often as possible. It changes the whole dynamic of the game. Hittin the simulater this weekend for a round.

Back