Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I am prepping by sitting in a conference room. I am going to go to the PGA Superstore tomorrow though.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

lol. i prep by sitting at work and thinking about golf all day. it is a mental game ya know...

Let me guess you are leaving them in the bunker with the 56?

more thinning the crap of them. Just not hitting behind the ball. Which I have no issues doing with the 60. With the 60 I trust that I can take as big of a swing as I need and the ball will pop out. But for some reason when I open the face slightly on the 56 I get all giddy and try to slam the ball. I just need to drop 10 balls in one day and practice it a little more.

more thinning the crap of them. Just not hitting behind the ball. Which I have no issues doing with the 60. With the 60 I trust that I can take as big of a swing as I need and the ball will pop out. But for some reason when I open the face slightly on the 56 I get all giddy and try to slam the ball. I just need to drop 10 balls in one day and practice it a little more.

Dean I don't really open the face up too much. I just open it slightly and look at a mark behind the ball. I'm usually pretty good at getting the ball out. Might not be as close as I want but it is out. Try not opening the face up as much

Or hit more GIR's. Do that and you're in less bunkers.

Or hit more GIR's. Do that and you're in less bunkers.

that's what I figured out on the back 9 yesteday. Golf is much easier that way. Really I'm not in the bunkers frequently. Just something to work on.

Not having somewhere to practice putting is killing me 4 x 3 putts today just wont cut it and 3 of those I was on the GIR. My local range is building a brand new 3 level green which they are hoping to have finished next month

I wouldn't worry about it Dean. There were barely any bunkers there

Glad to hear you are hitting more greens, but you are right to work on your putting because what's the point if you 3 jack. I am surprised to hear you say you are breaking your wrists because to me that is the biggest sin in putting, and you really lose all control IMO. The good news, is that is an easy correction to make.

Nice 9 Bullfrog, and good to hear you have the J40 working. Have fun out there this weekend. I look forward to seeing how you do on a strange course with other THP'ers. I know you will have a blast.

Don't be surprised. I'm a terrible golfer lol.

Don't be surprised. I'm a terrible golfer lol.

Hahaha...I know better than that, and will get a first hand look in 4 weeks.

Hahaha...I know better than that, and will get a first hand look in 4 weeks.

lol, yea we'll see. I'm practicing so I peak at the outing and the MC. If I'm not peaking in about 3 weeks I may just drop out of the outing.

Spoiler
not really, but I have been trying to think up a good injury for my excuse

Jenn and I had an extremely slow group in front of us tonight. We were the last group off the tee which allowed me to get some bunker practice in. Had 1 real bunker shot on hole 4 and I got up and in for only the 2nd time all year(2 of last 3 attempts though). Anyway got some practice in with the 56 out of the sand and found that when I slowed things down a bit I hit some real good shots. Didn't have any issues thinning them out. On one hole I hit 6 practice shots, with 3 trying to land short on the green and the the other 3 trying to fly it halfway in to the green. All was good except the last one which went a little long. Either way it was practice I needed and I feel good going in to my round tomorrow.

Had my first lesson of the season today. Same coach as last year so the continuity would be there, and I like working with him. Took maybe 10 swings and he immediately says "ok, let's go look at some video.". We head inside and take a look. He says my setup is perfect moves a little forward in slow motion, stops it half way through my backswing and says we are still perfect. Then come the issues. I come back to high from there, and I buckle my front knee away from my target. He shows me a couple of things inside and then we head back out to hit some balls. I am trying to gain width to my backswing and remove height, while turning more around my spine and keeping my front knee stable. I hit another bucket after my lesson, and when I do it right, I get great results, but it is going to take a bit to get it engrained. I'll get back out tomorrow or Monday to keep working on it. My goal right now is to hit a bucket 3-4 times per week, and the other good news is my back feels healthy enough to do it.

I played 18 on Saturday in Maine with the groomsmen from my upcoming wedding. Played the first 5 holes in +9 which was horrid then the last 4 in -2 to finish at 43. The back was a train wreck. I'm going to start going to the range again. I have a ton of inconsistency right now. I need to start putting more as well as the last two times out I have been seriously burning edges. I just need to put the work in and the scores will come back.

The last 2 days I have spent a lot of time on the course and range. Mostly on the range just working on some things and doing some testing for the J40 DPC irons, but things are coming along very well. My driver is the only thing that is inconsistent right now. Had a great range session last night though not really thinking about anything in my swing other than just making sure my left wrist is square with the target at impact and I finished with about 8 straight bombers down the middle. Hopefully gonna take that momentum out to the course today and see how it goes. Chipping and putting have been GREAT for me lately, probably the best they have ever been. It has been very windy here lately so I find myself just off the green a lot and I have still been able to get up and down a lot for par. On really long putts that used to scare me into 3-putting I have been almost draining them, but mostly just leaving them less than a foot away for an easy 2-putt.

It will be a week today since I touched a golf club. Work is going to have me running around the country for the next few months so I won't have as much time to practice as I would like, but I am seeing good things with my game lately. If I could ever learn how to putt, I would be doing pretty well.

Booked a lesson for tonight. One thing I've learned is that accepting you stink is the first step towards getting better. I had a couple poor rounds and some below average range sessions, so I want it looked at before I get any more frustrated. Likely some left-right or up-down movement issues, but I'm not good enough to see or fix either by myself. Buying a lot of lesson upfront was pretty good thinking because I can now just set them up when I need a hand. Hoping and expecting things to be better afterwards.

Had my first lesson of the season today. Same coach as last year so the continuity would be there, and I like working with him. Took maybe 10 swings and he immediately says "ok, let's go look at some video.". We head inside and take a look. He says my setup is perfect moves a little forward in slow motion, stops it half way through my backswing and says we are still perfect. Then come the issues. I come back to high from there, and I buckle my front knee away from my target. He shows me a couple of things inside and then we head back out to hit some balls. I am trying to gain width to my backswing and remove height, while turning more around my spine and keeping my front knee stable. I hit another bucket after my lesson, and when I do it right, I get great results, but it is going to take a bit to get it engrained. I'll get back out tomorrow or Monday to keep working on it. My goal right now is to hit a bucket 3-4 times per week, and the other good news is my back feels healthy enough to do it.

That sounds like many of the same issues I have. ... They say I am perfect to the point where the club is parallel to the ground on the backswing. ...then I get too upright and steep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Booked a lesson for tonight. One thing I've learned is that accepting you stink is the first step towards getting better. I had a couple poor rounds and some below average range sessions, so I want it looked at before I get any more frustrated. Likely some left-right or up-down movement issues, but I'm not good enough to see or fix either by myself. Buying a lot of lesson upfront was pretty good thinking because I can now just set them up when I need a hand. Hoping and expecting things to be better afterwards.
Smart move dude. I was very close to booking one myself to figure out why I'm not hitting my irons flush. I posted a video for GolfTEC here on THP and while I have yet to get a response from them Freddie was cool enough to totally break down my swing with part by part still shots and pointed out what I was doing. Turns out the very thing he told me was a flaw I've had fixed before so I just had to be reminded again. I didn't get a chance to work on it before taking on Esox on Sunday so I was a little off Sunday but I went to the range today and already am loving the results. I have more work obviously but I called and talked to Freddie and love the track I'm on right now.

So I played match play against Esox on Sunday in Wisconsin and got an upfront seat to a man putting a death grip on me, he played outstanding and it was inspiring to watch. On the day I won 2 holes is all, we halved a ton of them but his 6 pars and 2 birdies on the back 9 made it too tough on me. I love playing against such good players, it doesn't bode well for my win/loss record but I think it makes me a better player each time.

This weekend I defend my title in the annual BustaBall Classic, that's our annual buddy's trip, this time we're going to the western Nebraska for 3 days of team match play. Gonna be great prep work and a great time. I hope to be hoisting the trophy as winning captain again this year!

I'm looking forward to listening to your BustaBall victory speech.

I'm looking forward to listening to your BustaBall victory speech.
Haha, thanks buddy. If I'm fortunate enough to retain this coveted trophy for another year I'll certainly post up the victory speech for you.

Dear god. I'd pay to watch that lol.

Good luck getting those irons figured out. It's frustrating as hell knowing what you are doing, but not being able to fix it. You have a good foundation though. No reason to think it won't be back soon.

That sounds like many of the same issues I have. ... They say I am perfect to the point where the club is parallel to the ground on the backswing. ...then I get too upright and steep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just get way too long, and wind up with a miss of fat shots. It will take a bit, but I'll get it. I asked him how big of a change this would feel like, and he said it would be nowhere near as tough as last year.

Today it was such a beautiful day and I started my day early so I took a 2 hour lunch and headed to the course. I played 3 holes, and hit every FW and ever GIR but it was slow and I was there to work on my game so I went to the range.
What I was there to work on was my set up on every shot. I've recently found that every time I hit a poor shot, its because I set up poorly to the ball and from there nothing can go right. Its ok to have a bad swing once in a while, but in my mind, there is no excuse for not having a perfect set up every time, so I spend time developing a pre shot routine that just sort of added in triggers to remind me to set up properly, and not get lazy when addressing the ball. It went really well and then I putted for a while.
I feel really good about my game right now, and am really looking forward to this golf season.

Back