Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Prep work went great this weekend. The trophy is staying home where it has found a nice comfortable spot. Day 1 I played outstanding and dominated, day 2 I played decent but sort of leaked a little oil down the stretch and lost and day 3 against the top player in the field scratched out a halve. Match play is such a fun format and really a grind. I'm exhausted! Sign up has started for our match play tournament in Men's league so I'll get signed up for that and ready for more action.

0243153d.jpg

Congrats Jake....nice looking trophy!

Well done Puttin4Bettinardi!

Went out and played Orchard Hills Country Club (private) with my manager from work which is his home course. I hit the ball pretty well today. It's a tough course. My driver was just a hair off today. Kept leaving the face a bit open which made for a little slice. No lost balls or penalty strokes. I shot an 84!! I was really happy with that. I spanked his arse! He shot a 105. My Betti was pretty good today as well as my irons. I think everything is coming around slowly. I need more time at the range with the J40. As I said had some slices today. But not huge ones. All were still managable. So, I will get back to the range and get it figured out. Seems like almost every other round I hit it good. It's the indian not the arrow!

Prep work went great this weekend. The trophy is staying home where it has found a nice comfortable spot. Day 1 I played outstanding and dominated, day 2 I played decent but sort of leaked a little oil down the stretch and lost and day 3 against the top player in the field scratched out a halve. Match play is such a fun format and really a grind. I'm exhausted! Sign up has started for our match play tournament in Men's league so I'll get signed up for that and ready for more action.

0243153d.jpg

Nice Jake. "Hi there Mr. Gilmore. Tremendous looking trophy you got there." LOL Congrats dude. Keep it up.

Last edited:
Last year Jake wins the BustaBall and comes home a Morgan Cup champion. It's destiny dude. Nice job!

I have to be honest, I am honestly surprising myself with how well I am chipping and putting. 2 weeks ago if I would have had seven 10-footers in a round I would make 1 or 2 of them. My last couple of rounds I am probaly 75-80% from 10-12 feet. I am just rolling the ball so well right now. And all it took was taking some of the forward press out of my stroke. I am making great contact, it is getting a great roll, and my lines are great. I had a 20 footer today with a big break that I was just hoping I would get within 3 feet. It rolled, broke a ton, and came to a stop 1 inch in front of the hole. My speed control is the best it has ever been, and I haven't had a 3-jack in a few rounds now (knock on wood). I have been putting a lot of work into my short game practice, but it all suddenly came together. Now that everything around the greens is very good, I need to move a little farther out and work on 50-100 yard shots. I want to leave myself some shorter putts since I have a lot more confidence in making them. My driving is also improving drastically. I've got the Fit dialed in like nobody's business. Friday I played with the TA and regular fit for 9 holes and hit a drive with each driver for each hole that required it. And today I hit the TA for 9 holes. Out of all the shots I have taken between both drivers over the last couple rounds I have only missed the fairway twice. Friday I was off the fairway by about a yard to the right, and today I overdrove the fairway because I just bombed it, so it rolled a couple feet off the fairway where it curved. I'm still struggling with the irons a little bit but its not so much I'm not hitting them well, its that I haven't really got the distanced down yet with the Diablos. Today I hit a couple of great shots and ended up overshooting the green. Overall I am so pleased with how things are coming around, so I just need to keep at it and keep everything dialed in. If I can play like this in Myrtle Beach I will be tough to beat, I'm sure by then I will have my distances with my MC irons dialed in which will help knock a couple strokes off.

Nice feedback INgolfer! Glad to see things progressing so nicely for you man, you may be carrying me after my round yesterday - ha.

I struck up a match yesterday with the neighbor who invited me out to his course. I had to give him 6 shots due to our handicap differential and I played terrible while he had a career round of 82 at his new course. I was happy for him but he absolutely smoked me and he would have beaten me just playing straight up also. I will continue to go after these matches as I definitely feel a difference when I play in this format. Now to hoping that the case of "hanks starting with an s" is gone when I play next time. :D

Very nice Bradd! I took yesterday off since my mind is messed right now and my back is killing me.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

The weather is finally nice again here. Looking to get out tonight after practice to work on some things.

So yesterday I played 36 holes of golf as prep for the MC and I learned a few things. I was playing a set of Pro Combo irons so I could see if I wanted to game a similar set up in the Morgan Cup and boy am I glad that I did.

First thing that I learned is that as of right now, I can't play 36 holes in one day. I was mentally drained and physically exhausted by the 27th hole and my body just wasn't used to playing that many holes in one day. I will have to do this more than a few more times leading up to the MC to get my body used to playing that many holes. I'm also going to try to sneak in a round today while my wife is still away to make it as similar as I can to the MC.

Now, as for the irons, it didn't really take me any time to get used to them, and they had the stock DG S300 shafts in them, that I don't normally care for but the ball flight I was seeing was great, and I thought they felt, but for me they just looked amazing. There was something to looking at that small head framing the ball that made me concentrate on hitting a good shot. I liked the blades a lot, but I didn't really see a whole ton of difference between the blades and the CB's, so in the end what I took out of it was that I will not have any MB's in my bag in the near future as part of a mixed set, but will have a full set of Razr forged goodness 4-PW.

My first round was a 42-41 for an 83 which considering I was playing with a new set of irons, and my first time ever playing with blades I was pretty happy with. The third 9 was another 40 on the Valley course, and then I got really tired and fired a 45 lol on the back 9 of the valley course.

I knew this weekend was going to be packed with things to do, so I made sure to get out to the range on Friday after work. I took my camera and set up a tripod a space away from me so I could get a good look at what I have been working on, because I just can't feel it, so I need to see if I am doing it. After each swing I either gave a thumbs up, down, or in the middle depending on ball flight, and if it felt like the move I am working on from my lessons. I have about 40 minutes of video to pour over, and I hope to do it in the next day or two. Hopefully, I see some progress in the video.

So yesterday I played 36 holes of golf as prep for the MC and I learned a few things. I was playing a set of Pro Combo irons so I could see if I wanted to game a similar set up in the Morgan Cup and boy am I glad that I did.

First thing that I learned is that as of right now, I can't play 36 holes in one day. I was mentally drained and physically exhausted by the 27th hole and my body just wasn't used to playing that many holes in one day. I will have to do this more than a few more times leading up to the MC to get my body used to playing that many holes. I'm also going to try to sneak in a round today while my wife is still away to make it as similar as I can to the MC.

Now, as for the irons, it didn't really take me any time to get used to them, and they had the stock DG S300 shafts in them, that I don't normally care for but the ball flight I was seeing was great, and I thought they felt, but for me they just looked amazing. There was something to looking at that small head framing the ball that made me concentrate on hitting a good shot. I liked the blades a lot, but I didn't really see a whole ton of difference between the blades and the CB's, so in the end what I took out of it was that I will not have any MB's in my bag in the near future as part of a mixed set, but will have a full set of Razr forged goodness 4-PW.

My first round was a 42-41 for an 83 which considering I was playing with a new set of irons, and my first time ever playing with blades I was pretty happy with. The third 9 was another 40 on the Valley course, and then I got really tired and fired a 45 lol on the back 9 of the valley course.

Not bad scores for the second round for being tired CB! At least you got to try a similar set out before you made a decision instead of jumping in to it and regretting it later.

Nice breezey. Get that confirmation in early buddy!

I played in a tournament today. A big one. It was a scramble but it's also good prep IMO. I could really focus on being aggressive and I was and it payed off. I hit some great drives today. In fact, I think we used most of mine. What a boost to the ego. Tourny season is getting fired up around here and I sure do enjoy it. It's a great way to play under some pressure and create scenarios where you need to be clutch. I like that.

Played 9 tonight. Really odd round. Played the par 4's and 5's at + 1. Played the 3 par 3's at +5. Overall 41. Played way better than the score. Had some dumb luck on the shortest holes on the course.

Went to the range at lunch. Hit a small bucket. Used the J40 for 3/4 of the bucket. Need to focus on ball placement. Seems to be something different everytime. Lol

Fear the Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

I'm a glutton for punishment but I enjoy playing tough courses and don't like playing the same course constantly. Tomorrow I'm heading over to one of my favorite facilities in the area and playing their "new" course, it also is the site of this years LPGA Title Holders event. It should a great challenge, the reviews have been spectacular so far.

http://www.twineagles.com/golf-eagle-course.html

I have been preparing by sitting in meetings in PA and not playing golf all week. Gotta hit it hard when I get back home. I miss golf.

Have been working a ton lately on extending the left arm on the follow through. Last night was the first time that I hit more solid shots than chunks. Felt really good to hit balls well again. I'm going to try and play 9 on Thursday

I'm a glutton for punishment but I enjoy playing tough courses and don't like playing the same course constantly. Tomorrow I'm heading over to one of my favorite facilities in the area and playing their "new" course, it also is the site of this years LPGA Title Holders event. It should a great challenge, the reviews have been spectacular so far.

http://www.twineagles.com/golf-eagle-course.html

Have a blast Danny!

Have been working a ton lately on extending the left arm on the follow through. Last night was the first time that I hit more solid shots than chunks. Felt really good to hit balls well again. I'm going to try and play 9 on Thursday

That's great news chunkster. I reckon you'll get it bro!

I prep like Keegan does

kfi4scduj:iphone

Hoping it stops raining out so I can try out my new Razr Fit driver and Razr X Black 3 wood tonight. Doesn't look promising right now however.

Went to the range yesterday after work to contiue working on adding width to my backswing. I am starting to feel like it is coming around, and I still have a bunch of video to look at, so I am hoping to get some confirmation there. I also received my MC driver late yesterday, and will be posting a small video in a few minutes, so you know I had to take a few swings with it too. It is solid, but I need to spend a little time with it. Instead of the small draw I have been playing, I was seeing a small fade. Nothing major, but I just want to get it under control. It was really a piercing trajectory with a lot of roll out, so distance is not going to be an issue with it. Overall, I was really happy with my range section, including a little wedge work to end the night, just firing at pins. I seem to have lost a little distance with the 588 wedges, but I don't care, I just have to dial them in and play to the new distances, because they are just solid.

Hoping it stops raining out so I can try out my new Razr Fit driver and Razr X Black 3 wood tonight. Doesn't look promising right now however.

tell me about it. 75 and sunny all day whilst i'm at work. rain at 5pm or 6pm without fail.

hoping the rain holds off or is at least playable tonight as my golf league is scheduled to start tonight and will be very beneficial for my MC2 prep.
i haven't played in awhile and i can't stand not being able to play....looking to go LOW tonight.

Hitting the ball pretty good right now. So gonna hit the range at lunch to keep it up.

Fear the Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

Back