Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

there are meds for that you know....

Hitting the ball pretty good right now. So gonna hit the range at lunch to keep it up.

Fear the Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

tell me about it. 75 and sunny all day whilst i'm at work. rain at 5pm or 6pm without fail.

hoping the rain holds off or is at least playable tonight as my golf league is scheduled to start tonight and will be very beneficial for my MC2 prep.
i haven't played in awhile and i can't stand not being able to play....looking to go LOW tonight.

I hope you get out there tonight man. It is really upsetting to not be able too play haha.

I hope you get out there tonight man. It is really upsetting to not be able too play haha.

thanks man. it has gotten to the point now, that even if league is canceled, i will press on...like the Bishop in Caddyshack. #ratfarts!

but seriously...at least it's finally warm out and i can start properly prepping for that hot SC sun.
gotta focus on driver and iron play tonight - fairways and greens baby....fairways and greens.

apparently Howzat played well today, he forgot to post about it though. I think he is fibbing

Whozat?

What a day. First day I got play in shorts and then the match-up announcement. Only bummer was a horrendous putting performance. I am not sure if it was the nicer weather or a few tweaks I made but I was hitting the ball about a club further than normal. My ball striking today was very good and hit more GIR’s than normal even though I overshot a few due to my sudden increase in distance. It came at a price as I had some long putts and ended up with several 3 jacks. I really focused on my course management today and it showed up big on the Par 5’s which I played at 1 over par today. I need spend some time getting the short game dialed in as I am leaving myself with some longer puts than I would like and get the putts to start sinking on a regular basis. Overall my game is in good shape for for early May and on track for where I want to be come July.
Since I got selected for the Morgan Cup I have also focused on eating better and working out a bit more. It has started to pay off and I am likely going to need to send in some smaller measurements to my tour rep for the apparel.

What a day. First day I got play in shorts and then the match-up announcement. Only bummer was a horrendous putting performance. I am not sure if it was the nicer weather or a few tweaks I made but I was hitting the ball about a club further than normal. My ball striking today was very good and hit more GIR’s than normal even though I overshot a few due to my sudden increase in distance. It came at a price as I had some long putts and ended up with several 3 jacks. I really focused on my course management today and it showed up big on the Par 5’s which I played at 1 over par today. I need spend some time getting the short game dialed in as I am leaving myself with some longer puts than I would like and get the putts to start sinking on a regular basis. Overall my game is in good shape for for early May and on track for where I want to be come July.
Since I got selected for the Morgan Cup I have also focused on eating better and working out a bit more. It has started to pay off and I am likely going to need to send in some smaller measurements to my tour rep for the apparel.

How's the J40 driver treating you? You can answer in the J40 thread if you want.

Great update Erik! You gotta be feeling pretty good right now, keep it up!

If the putter was working at all it would have been a career low round for me today. I shot an 84 but had 39 yes 39 putts today.

If the putter was working at all it would have been a career low round for me today. I shot an 84 but had 39 yes 39 putts today.

line or speed problems with putting today?

line or speed problems with putting today?

Speed is the main issue. I had quite a few long putts today but reading the break and getting the speed down is the issue. It seemed the the down hill putts were a good speed until they got to the hole and went flying past. The uphill putts seemed like I couldn't hit them hard enough. It is funny because in a round at the same course last week I had 28 putts but I missed a lot more greens during that round as well.

Got beat in match play today. Lost 1 down due to my opponent birdie'ing 18 to my par. Neck and neck match all day which was awesome. No one was further ahead than 1up the entire round. I shot a 78 to his 79 so it was fun. Very tough pin placements today as there was a tournament at the course this morning. I had 38 freaking putts. That included 5 3putts. I need to prep on putting I guess :banghead:

Tomorrow is going to be a great prep day...it is my dads 50th birthday and every year on his bday we take the day off work and go play golf. Gettin up early to play 18, then lunch, then another 18. There is a 40% chance of rain so I'm hoping that holds off. Today they predicted rain and it was sunny all day. Supposed to be nice and warm, about 80 degrees. My dad is a big Callaway nut so I told him I'd bring both of the Fit drivers and we will each play one of the drivers the first round and then swap for the second round. Gonna be sportin a sweet new Callaway shirt I bought so I'm sure that will knock a couple strokes off the score too.

I will be playin 18 tomorrow if all things happen as planned. It will be my last chance to practice or play for at least 2 weeks as I will be away on business so I want to take advantage of it and put up a great score with some good prep.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

I will be playin 18 tomorrow if all things happen as planned. It will be my last chance to practice or play for at least 2 weeks as I will be away on business so I want to take advantage of it and put up a great score with some good prep.

Sent from someone else's iPhone using Tapatalk

Man, that sucks that you will be off the course for 2 weeks Breezy....pack a putter and putt in the hotel room!

Does anyone have a link to a Morgan Cup thread for information? I am really interested in the MC, everyone is all about it, and I am stoked off of THP so I figured I'd give it a look. Sweet!

Thanks,

Low

well, at least the weather was nice last night :angry:
i played awful in my league last night. worst i've shot all year. luckily i was able to sneak in some glimpses of what i call golf shots, and carded some pars but it was not pretty.
it was pretty wet out and i haven't played golf in over a week...but my last few scores have not been optimal anyway.
my partner couldn't make it and he couldn't get a sub, so i had to play alone against two bums...but i have no room for excuses.

so, after the round...i punished myself by hitting the practice green and working on some short and long chips shots. once i got tired of that, i hit the course again for 4 more holes before dark. by 9pm, i was beat up, tired and soaking wet with sweat....well deserved.

i'm not sure if i'm normal or crazy, but there just seems to never be a time when i want to quit golfing.
if i shoot well, i want to keep the momentum going and i just want to keep playing...
if i shoot poor, i immediately want revenge or an instant fix, and i just want to keep playing...
if i play 9, i want 18. and when i play 18, i want 36.

went out to practice some shots last night for 9 holes. Really wasn't looking for any kind of scoring, but more dropping a ball here and there and trying different shots. Well on the opening tee shot I was 140 out so I decided to drop 3 balls to hit 2 different clubs. 1 shot - shank, oh well. 2nd shot - shank, wow that's strange, 3rd shot - shank, wtf is going on. Finished the hole and moved on to 11 where I hit the drive in the fairway and dropped 3 balls again. 1 shot - shank, 2nd shot - shank, and 3rd shot, you guessed it, SHANK! Wow it was ugly, like DirtyDawg with no snickers and mtn dew ugly. So after fetching those balls from the woods, I dropped them in the bunker and practiced that for about 10 minutes. After that there were no shanks for the rest of the day.

My buddies and I set up a series of 5 tournaments for us to play over the summer and in to September. Money at stake each tournament, with the most coming in the final one. That starts this Sunday at a course I haven't played yet this year, but usually play pretty well. I'm hoping that it will get me in to some form of pressure situation so I can see how I perform under it. It's mostly for fun, but hell I'm a competitive guy and don't like to lose.

Tyler dude I'm right there with you. If I play poorly and it keeps up it just grinds at me and I can't just leave it, I have to go fix it. Same thing goes for me with always wanting to play more. I think it's a drug really. :D

ddec, shanks rock buddy! I love the series of tournaments for $ you're talking about, keep us posted.

I have been really grinding over my swing lately, just agonizing over trying to get my irons back to being solid and I found that I was basically doing what Tiger is doing, playing golf swing and not just playing golf. Today I just said piss on it, I know what I need to do...I'm going to go play golf. Got through 14 holes before I caught the slow players, I was +4 for the round at that point. 38 on the front 9 with 3 bogeys and 1 gorgeous birdie. I have done this before too, why can't I catch it right away when I'm getting too mechanical? Just go play golf man, that's it! I did keep what Freddie had told me in mind though and just rather than beat it to death just reminded myself and went with what I had.

Got beat in match play today. Lost 1 down due to my opponent birdie'ing 18 to my par. Neck and neck match all day which was awesome. No one was further ahead than 1up the entire round. I shot a 78 to his 79 so it was fun. Very tough pin placements today as there was a tournament at the course this morning. I had 38 freaking putts. That included 5 3putts. I need to prep on putting I guess :banghead:

who did you play??

went out to practice some shots last night for 9 holes. Really wasn't looking for any kind of scoring, but more dropping a ball here and there and trying different shots. Well on the opening tee shot I was 140 out so I decided to drop 3 balls to hit 2 different clubs. 1 shot - shank, oh well. 2nd shot - shank, wow that's strange, 3rd shot - shank, wtf is going on. Finished the hole and moved on to 11 where I hit the drive in the fairway and dropped 3 balls again. 1 shot - shank, 2nd shot - shank, and 3rd shot, you guessed it, SHANK! Wow it was ugly, like DirtyDawg with no snickers and mtn dew ugly. So after fetching those balls from the woods, I dropped them in the bunker and practiced that for about 10 minutes. After that there were no shanks for the rest of the day.

My buddies and I set up a series of 5 tournaments for us to play over the summer and in to September. Money at stake each tournament, with the most coming in the final one. That starts this Sunday at a course I haven't played yet this year, but usually play pretty well. I'm hoping that it will get me in to some form of pressure situation so I can see how I perform under it. It's mostly for fun, but hell I'm a competitive guy and don't like to lose.

Shanks build character

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I had a great day of prep yesterday. It was my dad's 50th birthday and we went out for 36 holes. Course is in great condition, greens are rolling quick too which I am loving. There are a couple holes at my home course that are very narrow and will completely punish you if you hit a bad tee shot, and each round I hit a bad tee shot on it, but other than that I played excellent and I am really excited about how I am playing. My short game was great all day, getting off the tee was effortless with the new Fit woods in the bag, and my iron game was overall pretty good. Had the chance to go after a few par 5's in two. I had one eagle putt and the other times I carried the green and actually rolled over. Only one of those times I had to hit 3-wood. The other I was able to hit 3-iron into the green. I am just killing the driver. I was just really excited to get out all day and put all the things I have been working on into a full round.

Had a cool day of prep today...after my dr appt I went to the range for some 'simulated golf' today to work on course management and shot making. 3 hours later I felt really good about things. I took the score card from the course that the range is on and proceeded to attack each hole based on the yardage. So if the hole was a long par 5 and open I'd hit a driver, if it was a short but narrow par 4 I'd hit 3w and so on. I'd take whatever yardage I hit from my first shot and subtract that away from the total yardage of the hole. Then I'd base my next shot on whether I wanted to go for the green or lay up to a number. I'd then make that shot and depending on the results I'd either chalk it up as a two putt or would have to chip/pitch my way onto the 'green'. When it came to shorter shots I'd aim for a small target on the range that corresponded to the distance so I'd always be shooting at a target and not just beating balls. More often than not I found I scored better by laying up rather than going for the hole all the time in 2. When I went for the hole in 2 I found I needed to hit a perfect shot to get to my number but if I layed up it left me room for error which could be saved with some strong wedge work. Overall I really liked this method of practice as it kept me engaged mentally and didnt have me just hitting balls without a purpose. I thin this really helped my focus which translated into some pretty good ball striking today, particularly with my wedges, non-Cally hybrids, and 3w. Definitlely going to do this again the next time I go to the range

Went and played 18 today. Hit 9 of 14 fwys. With 30 putts and shot 84. Pretty happy with the way I'm hitting the the ball off the tee. Last week during league I had 11 putts for 9 holes and the guy I was playing threatened to break my putter. Well I guess he was talking about my putter and how I got it and the Morgan cup. Cuz I told him about it. Well, I get to the course today and I walk up to the club house. I guess some guys were talking about it again cuz they pointed at me and said there he is. So then I had to show off my j40 and Betti and tell the story. Im a celebrity at my home course. Lol

Back