Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
The Preparation Thread – This is where we can discuss preparations for the Morgan Cup. Talk about your game, what you are working on, what you need help with, etc…This is NOT a place to dismiss others’ games and certainly not the “what did you shoot today thread”. It’s a place to discuss actual preparations. If you want to mention you shot 79, please use the regular What did you shoot today thread, not this one. If you want to talk about your preparations, this is the right place.

Thanks JB!

I will be in this thread often. My preparation for this one, began right after the first one.. In hopes there would be another and I would be able to participate.

It's simple for me really, going to sign up for some lessons to go over some areas I need help with. Until then, I've been drilling 100 yard shots, along with 60 and in like no other. My putting has also been under construction and it's really paying off.

My game isn't flowing well right now but I know the practice will pay off. My scores have dropped a couple but I'm thinking that with what I'm doing, I realistically could see a 5 stroke drop or more. I'm not saying this to try and scare anyone but I really want to be more of an asset during the team matches. I felt I played ok and hit some great shots but I want to be a rock my partners and competitors can lean on.

I'm really shooting for keeping it simple.

I love this thread already.

I have been working on keeping my hips from pushing in and trying to swing like the ball is not there (IE: trying to swing and let the ball get in the way of my stroke).

I love this thread already.

I have been working on keeping my hips from pushing in and trying to swing like the ball is not there (IE: trying to swing and let the ball get in the way of my stroke).

As I get closer to that piece I ll make sure to hit you up. How is that working for you (ball not being there), is it a tough transition to hitting a live ball?

As I get closer to that piece I ll make sure to hit you up. How is that working for you (ball not being there), is it a tough transition to hitting a live ball?

Actually quite well. When I remember to do it on the course, my actual swing is like my practice swing. My path is always in to out on the practice, but it doesn't always work as well when I am taking my real swing. I just have to tell myself to trust it and trust the distance. It has helped me be the guy who has as good practice swing to the guy who doesn't have to say, "I wish i would have hit the ball with my practice swing." It also takes away the stress of a harder shot if you trust it.

My MC prep started a few weeks ago, but it's going to be ramping up a lot after the holiday.

The biggest thing I've been working on over the last few weeks is short game and putting, though I've been getting a couple hours of full swings per week in too. I'm stuck inside, but I'm blessed with a facility that has a very large indoor practice green that even has a imitation 'fringe' to chip from. It's not perfect, but I'm not the only one in this boat. My main focus with the short game is solid contact with chip shots and good putting.

The main focus of my lessons will be full swings, though I've continued to see some improvement on my own. I took some numbers yesterday with drivers and irons and I'm finally getting away from the 'short hitter' thing. If I can get my driver spin under control I'm going to be able to keep up with almost everybody off the tee, which is exciting for me!

He is the start of my plan:
- Golf specific workout program - 3 days / week
- Put plan together w/ coach at GolfTec
- Daily putting drills

I wan't to focus on my fitness and putting over the winter as well as have a plan ready with my coach so I can hit the ground running when the snow melts.

I have a bunch of lessons getting set up, as well as clinics onlyy available to folks getting the same lesson package as me. The good news is that this is with the same local pro that worked me through a complete swing change this year, so there will be continuity. I feel like my short game is pretty solid, but want to work on dialing it in a little more, so my main focus is going to be more consistent contact from the fairway. My miss is fat, and it really adds strokes to my score, so I will be working to get rid of that particular miss. I don't know if that will be a minor tweak with a slight change of swing plane to come in steeper, or another major change, but whatever it is, that is my main focus for the winter.

I have a bunch of lessons getting set up, as well as clinics onlyy available to folks getting the same lesson package as me. The good news is that this is with the same local pro that worked me through a complete swing change this year, so there will be continuity. I feel like my short game is pretty solid, but want to work on dialing it in a little more, so my main focus is going to be more consistent contact from the fairway. My miss is fat, and it really adds strokes to my score, so I will be working to get rid of that particular miss. I don't know if that will be a minor tweak with a slight change of swing plane to come in steeper, or another major change, but whatever it is, that is my main focus for the winter.

You can sure crush a ball man. Hearing you hit driver is just awesome! I felt like I needed ear plugs.

I am pondering going back to GolfTec myself. I wish I still lived close to my old GolfTec instructor.

Order for the indoor putting green is being made today. I've also got some indoor sessions already scheduled for the winter to get onto the simulator so that my swing doesn't completely leave me during this winter.

You can sure crush a ball man. Hearing you hit driver is just awesome! I felt like I needed ear plugs.

I am pondering going back to GolfTec myself. I wish I still lived close to my old GolfTec instructor.

Thanks man. I will be working on engraining that swing into my brain this winter too as that was the last change I made this year and I still have to think my way through it. But, that is just some repetition to gain the muscle memory to be consistent with it. No doubt I will hit a ton of balls with the driver too in this effort.

Order for the indoor putting green is being made today. I've also got some indoor sessions already scheduled for the winter to get onto the simulator so that my swing doesn't completely leave me during this winter.

That is awesome Amol! Where are you ordering it from, and what style is it?

MC 2.0 might be a game changer for my entire lifestyle.
This has definitely prompted me to put together some sort of golf oriented workout regimen, which I've actually been putting off for way too long. I'm not "out of shape" but I could definitely tone and shape-up what I do have going for me. I'm active, skinny, I don't lift weights and I cannot gain weight. As of right now, I'm thinking of working with my "Perfect Pull-Up" system to get my arms and abs up to speed, as well as some steady treadmill sessions. Does anyone have any other suggestions for golf workouts that would be fit for me? (PM, visitor message, or hell...post it right here).

I'm definitely going to keep my game fresh during the winter. This will include long range sessions and possibly a little bit of swing tweaking, to work out all the kinks. I've definitely got to improve my 75yd and in accuracy, so I'll be very particular about the wedges that I will be receiving. Sand shots are another demon I face, because I'm hit or miss from there. I can tuck one tight and blade/duff the next. I know how to hit out of the sand, I've just yet to perfect it.

I have a good feeling my wife got me some golf lessons for Christmas, as she talked about it way back on our anniversary, but didn't know how to go about it all. So if that is the case, it can only get better from there. And if not, I don't mind going out and paying for a few sessions...it only seems right, in preparation for this massive event.

MC 2.0 might be a game changer for my entire lifestyle.
This has definitely prompted me to put together some sort of golf oriented workout regimen, which I've actually been putting off for way too long. I'm not "out of shape" but I could definitely tone and shape-up what I do have going for me. I'm active, skinny, I don't lift weights and I cannot gain weight. As of right now, I'm thinking of working with my "Perfect Pull-Up" system to get my arms and abs up to speed, as well as some steady treadmill sessions. Does anyone have any other suggestions for golf workouts that would be fit for me? (PM, visitor message, or hell...post it right here).

I'm definitely going to keep my game fresh during the winter. This will include long range sessions and possibly a little bit of swing tweaking, to work out all the kinks. I've definitely got to improve my 75yd and in accuracy, so I'll be very particular about the wedges that I will be receiving. Sand shots are another demon I face, because I'm hit or miss from there. I can tuck one tight and blade/duff the next. I know how to hit out of the sand, I've just yet to perfect it.

I have a good feeling my wife got me some golf lessons for Christmas, as she talked about it way back on our anniversary, but didn't know how to go about it all. So if that is the case, it can only get better from there. And if not, I don't mind going out and paying for a few sessions...it only seems right, in preparation for this massive event.

If you have a part of your game that you're weak, make it a goal to make it your best by the time the MC rolls around.

That is awesome Amol! Where are you ordering it from, and what style is it?

Most likely the Birdieball one that others have reviewed on here. Trying to decide between 9 feet long and 13.5 feet long, I don't have much room in my apartment for it though.

Most likely the Birdieball one that others have reviewed on here. Trying to decide between 9 feet long and 13.5 feet long, I don't have much room in my apartment for it though.

I have the 9 ft and love it. The only thing is the cups are to short. I think somebody on here used the Birdieball and built it up some. This gave them the oppurtunity to put real cups for the ball to drop in to. That would be a way to make a solid putting green.

Are non MCers allowed in this thread? Because I would love to discuss practice drills with the MC staffers.

Are non MCers allowed in this thread? Because I would love to discuss practice drills with the MC staffers.

Absolutely blugold!

I plan on starting prep soon, very very soon..

Like any competition I'd say get your minds right before the event. Play your game and pick your spots. I predict some nerves from a lot of people and maybe a nice straight 200 yard hybrid off the 1st tee could alleviate some jitters. Not being preachy, just joining in :D

I prepare by playing a lot. And when I play, I play match play. I suspect that One-t and I will be squaring off against each other every time we play. It really was a great way to prepare. I will also be focusing on my short game at least twice a week. I want to be lethal and I will be.

Basically I've started with a fitness regimen of stretching and weights focusing on core strength and flexibility. I've already been doing this routine for other reasons but the MC 2.0 is a bonus. I do this followed by just doing things with weighted clubs, speed stiks to build new muscle memory. This will be a good carry-over into when I'll be checking out what options Callaway will have for me and once I know that I can focus on the dialing in the equipment and just playing as much as possible from that point forward until the event.

Like any competition I'd say get your minds right before the event. Play your game and pick your spots. I predict some nerves from a lot of people and maybe a nice straight 200 yard hybrid off the 1st tee could alleviate some jitters. Not being preachy, just joining in :D

I plan on putting myself in as many pressure situations as I can. I like the pressure personally.

Over the last two weeks I have increased my workout intensity a little bit. I am mostly working on resistance exercises that add flexibility and stability, which is pretty much core exercises. I have been to the heated outdoor range a couple times and the swing is still holding strong after a month off. When I am home I have actually been chipping around the basement, basically picking my spot I want to land it and working on my feel. So far everything is looking great. I also am thinking of picking up a birdieball green to work on some putting. That probably won't happen til after christmas though.

I started a new workout plan yesterday in hopes of not only dropping several dozen pounds but also adding a little more flexibility. I start my lessons at GolfTec right after Christmas, I'll be going there once a week at least.

I am really working on my short game....anything 120 yards and in....2 to 3 range sessions a week followed by about an hour on the putting greens.

I am pondering one of the birdie ball putting greens for the garage as well.

Back