Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

I like that matchup a lot. Ddec and tbt vs cool breeze and hawk vs chunkylover and Yorkem

I like that matchup quite well....I say BOOK EM DEANO

says the guy that shot 74 today ...LOL

I know bro, I appreciate it...it's just really frustrating..last week I was hitting all my tee shots right down the middle with a little baby draw....now I hit one OOB to the left and the next OOB to the right, then I drop kick one....where's Yorkem...I need a keyboard to break!!

I'm here for you buddy, and I just went outside and smashed a keyboard for you.

I like that matchup a lot. Ddec and tbt vs cool breeze and hawk vs chunkylover and Yorkem

This would be a fun round of golf for sure.

I went to the range last night and really worked hard on getting my swing wider. I didn't bring my camera or my phone with me, and I should have because I just can't feel it right now. I was hitting ball after ball wondering if I was even coming close to the move that I worked on in my lesson. It was very frustrating because I was left wondering if I just spent a bunch of time and energy working hard, or was I just hitting balls. I know one thing...I won't go out to the range again without my camera.

Hopefully getting to the range today and playing 9 holes. Got to start scoring.

After two days of tinkering in the local shops I've come back with two iron shafts to ponder on for the MC. Of course it will depend on the head I end up going with but if it's 588 I'm thinking PXI 5.5 or KBS 90 S. Neither stores optimizer was working and somehow nobody around here has the 588 or Black heads on their fitting carts yet. I'm thinking I'll just grab the entire 588 set at demo day and horde them :)

I am planning on going to the range today and working on my irons. I am also going to roll the Betti on the practice green. After that, it is off to the house for some Big Bang Theory.

I just had a great range session. I figured out a few things today that made life a lot easier for me after two sessions that had me scrathing my head a but. Mainly doing a better job of staying smooth w/ tempo and focusing on clearing my hips. Spent quite a bit of time with the putter as well. Need to see if I can get some of this transfer over to the course. I also need to start challenging some of my playing partners to match play to get myself ready for what is to come.

I just had a great range session. I figured out a few things today that made life a lot easier for me after two sessions that had me scrathing my head a but. Mainly doing a better job of staying smooth w/ tempo and focusing on clearing my hips. Spent quite a bit of time with the putter as well. Need to see if I can get some of this transfer over to the course. I also need to start challenging some of my playing partners to match play to get myself ready for what is to come.

That is great to hear. I was going to hit the range tonight, but I am still at work. Stupid job!!!

Got rained out at my session tonight. Supposed to clear up tomorrow though. Two clear days ahead.

Very windy today but HAD to hit the range because the new stick came in. Nope...not the MC stick, the OTHER stick. Video currently uploading in the corresponding forum. Anyhow, hit plenty of iron shots and from what I could tell with the wind I was hitting them nice and straight. I was hitting some shots with my current Cally irons with the Nippon shafts as well as the J40 DPC irons with PX 5.5 shafts. Distance is pretty much identical between the two. Still leaning toward the PX 5.5 for the MC irons. Now to the driver, I have been struggling with a slice lately, and today I hit about 40 shots with the driver and I only sliced a couple. Most of the went nice and straight, some had a nice medium-high flight that just pierced through the wind, and others I would just call a medium flight. The ones I felt I really hit right on the sweet spot went medium-high and just FLEW. David Kelly might have to catch those balls when the come down over there in Ireland. My driver struggles are definitely improving, and the pro was outside talking me a little bit and helped me out for a couple swings. We are going to get together soon to start on some lessons. I'm sure my swing problem is a small thing, so I will work with him on that but from there I want to work mostly on 125 yards and in from grass and sand because those shots are going to be the most important at the MC. Luckily I have my Callaway Forged wedges that are pretty much automatic for the most part. Sand is my main concern so he said he would fix me right up!

I went to the range yesterday and I worked on keeping my balance through the swing and not straightening my right leg. It is amazing how much farther the ball goes when you take a shorter swing. I was making killer contact and it felt really good. The shanks that I had earlier were nowhere in sight.

I also worked on hitting the ball out of a divot. We all hate this lie, but we have to play it if we land in one. How many of us actually practice that?

After the range, I worked on putting. My putting is getting better, but I am still 2 putting everything. I need to learn how to make more putts from further away.

Playing a scramble for some cash prizes over the weekend. It's an ABCD format, so I suppose I'll be the anchor. I don't really play many scrambles, so I'm looking forward to it. Should be some good experience for the MC rounds.

Other than that and the demo day, I'll probably take Hawk Jr to the putting green a time or two.

I like all of this Seth....lately I've been focusing on better balance and getting more out of a 1/2 or 3/4 swing since full turns are problematic for me now.

I went to the range yesterday and I worked on keeping my balance through the swing and not straightening my right leg. It is amazing how much farther the ball goes when you take a shorter swing. I was making killer contact and it felt really good. The shanks that I had earlier were nowhere in sight.

I also worked on hitting the ball out of a divot. We all hate this lie, but we have to play it if we land in one. How many of us actually practice that?

After the range, I worked on putting. My putting is getting better, but I am still 2 putting everything. I need to learn how to make more putts from further away.

I like all of this Seth....lately I've been focusing on better balance and getting more out of a 1/2 or 3/4 swing since full turns are problematic for me now.

Thanks bro. I have found that a 3/4 swing is my full swing. If I do that, the ball just rockets off the club face.

I've only been to the course once this week and that was wednesday for Men's league and this is pretty strange for me, but it has been a crazy week. Tomorrow however will be a great day of prep and I'm really looking forward to it.

My wife is taking my son and going to visit her sister in Vancouver for two days, so guess what Ben is doing for two days? Thats right, I'm golfing. She is catching the noon ferry tomorrow, so I have a 1 o'clock tee time and then I will have a second round as soon as that round is over. I haven't played 36 holes in a day in a while so this will be both fun, and good prep for the rounds of golf on the saturday of the Morgan Cup.
Monday I will having a half day at work, and then another round at the club as I have to get while the getting is good. I call this "Ben's Free, free time".

As to what I will be working on, its pretty clear to me right now looking at my stats from my past few rounds and thinking hard about it. I need to score better. Plain and simple, I'm driving the ball well, my iron play is solid, I've been great with my wedges and my putting is coming along nicely, but I'm just not scoring like my play and stats say it should. I'm hitting 9-12 GIR per round, and I'm giving myself a ton of putts within 12 feet for birdie, and I'm just not making them. Also I'm not hitting my pitches as close to the hole as I should be in some cases, leaving me with some longer putts for birdie or par than I should be.

Other than some warming up and short game work, I'm not going to be spending a ton of time on the range for the rest of the golf season. For me, I just need to play more and start scoring, and the only place to really learn how to score better is to get out there and play. I'm being far more aggressive off the tee right now, and I'm also taking on a lot of par 5's in two when I can, which is something that i never used to do.

Anyway this has gotten long winded and I will update with how the sunday and monday of Ben goes as each round goes along.

Going to the range this PM and going to spend at least an hour on the putting green. Really need to dial in my putter right now.

Went to the range this morning. I stunk. Beginning to feel like this will be my golf for the foreseeable future

Went to the range this morning. I stunk. Beginning to feel like this will be my golf for the foreseeable future

Nah dude. You just need a pep talk from the white knuckler. Or a match vs me. Both bring smiles, wins and huge amounts of laughter.

Nah dude. You just need a pep talk from the white knuckler. Or a match vs me. Both bring smiles, wins and huge amounts of laughter.

Haha I do have fun playing with you. I'm just a frustrated hack right now.

Haha I do have fun playing with you. I'm just a frustrated hack right now.
Sorry to hear that Chunky, what seems to be the main issue right now?

Trying hard to not be vague but pretty much everything. I'm just not hitting the ball properly. I will take a massive chunk on one swing. Very next swing will be thin. The next will be perfect. I need to trust that it will get better but man is it frustrating. Played the other day and didn't hit an iron shot well all day. It was brutal. I get very down when that happens because the one thing I used to be able to count on was my irons.

Trying hard to not be vague but pretty much everything. I'm just not hitting the ball properly. I will take a massive chunk on one swing. Very next swing will be thin. The next will be perfect. I need to trust that it will get better but man is it frustrating. Played the other day and didn't hit an iron shot well all day. It was brutal. I get very down when that happens because the one thing I used to be able to count on was my irons.
I hear you buddy, I bet you work yourself out of it. Maybe take a day or two off and then go play a round without going to the range and just hit the ball.

I hear you buddy, I bet you work yourself out of it. Maybe take a day or two off and then go play a round without going to the range and just hit the ball.

Haha that is what I tried the other day. It failed miserably. I do need to warm up before a round otherwise I'm lost. I just need to get out of my head and just swing the darn club

Haha that is what I tried the other day. It failed miserably. I do need to warm up before a round otherwise I'm lost. I just need to get out of my head and just swing the darn club
Thats probably true. Who the crap knows what happens to golf swings man? I'm sure it will be fine soon.

Headed to the range for some short game work and then get in a quick round.

Back