Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Sorry to hear you're struggling, Chunky. Is it something you are working on from your lessons that isn't clicking yet? If so, give it time. If not, quit tinkering and just swing your club :)

I had a real short range session today, mostly to hit the new fairway wood. Liked what I saw for the most part. Spent an equal amount of time putting. I've been working with the True Path training aid at home, mostly to shorten and tighten up my stroke a bit, and wanted to see how it worked on grass. In all, a good day. Quick, but to the point.

Sorry to hear you're struggling, Chunky. Is it something you are working on from your lessons that isn't clicking yet? If so, give it time. If not, quit tinkering and just swing your club :)

I had a real short range session today, mostly to hit the new fairway wood. Liked what I saw for the most part. Spent an equal amount of time putting. I've been working with the True Path training aid at home, mostly to shorten and tighten up my stroke a bit, and wanted to see how it worked on grass. In all, a good day. Quick, but to the point.

It is something from my lessons. Old me used to go way over the top and then correct on the downswing. I did it for so many years that I just got good with the timing. New me now does the "waiter with the tray" technique to get the club in a better position at the top. I have this part down. But on the downswing I need to feel like I'm hitting the ball with my palm and then finish. I am struggling with the hitting with the palm and the finish. Sometimes I will get it and the ball just takes off like a bullet which is why I will continue down this path. But the inconsistency right now is killing me

Yikes. That's a lot to think about dude! Hope it turns around for you buddy.

It is something from my lessons. Old me used to go way over the top and then correct on the downswing. I did it for so many years that I just got good with the timing. New me now does the "waiter with the tray" technique to get the club in a better position at the top. I have this part down. But on the downswing I need to feel like I'm hitting the ball with my palm and then finish. I am struggling with the hitting with the palm and the finish. Sometimes I will get it and the ball just takes off like a bullet which is why I will continue down this path. But the inconsistency right now is killing me

I feel your pain Chunky....I was doing much the same as you...the OTT swing and then using the hands to correct it and I have been doing the exact some "waiter on a tray move"...(too funny we both called it the same thing)....for the first several weeks I was striping the ball with it, but now I have gotten inconsistent....one time I hit is flush and the next I pull it and the next I leave it open and push slice it.

I went to the course today and was going to do a quick short game session then play a round, but the course was closed for a church charity scramble, so I spent 3 hours on the range and the practice green....really working on feeling my hips and knees starting the down swing which lets my hands drop inside and into the slot...when I get it right it's a powerful move...but right now I am getting "stuck" and pushing the ball to the right.

It is tough to ingrain Tim.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

It is tough to ingrain Tim.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

Yep, especially when we have been doing it the other way for so long. I bought one of these cheap little weighted clubs at Golfsmith and have been doing 100 swings a night with it like Hank Haney says to do.

25343-golf-swing-trainer-1.jpg

Going to play Orchard Hills Country Club today. Normally I can't get in there with out a memeber. Well my boss is a member and he thinks he can beat me. So I thought I'd go to his home course and put an old fashioned Hacker's beating on him... LOL

Going to play Orchard Hills Country Club today. Normally I can't get in there with out a memeber. Well my boss is a member and he thinks he can beat me. So I thought I'd go to his home course and put an old fashioned Hacker's beating on him... LOL

Never beat your boss. Especially if you're dating his daughter

Never beat your boss. Especially if you're dating his daughter

His daughter is 16. I don't think so. He's just the manager not the owner. Lol

Fear the Frog!! Amphibians can Tapatalk

My short game is really showing signs of all the work I have put in. Every chip I had on Friday stopped within 2 feet of the hole, and my number of putts continues to drop. Lag putts used to kill me but I am able to get those within a couple feet most of the time now with no problem. I only had one bad putt the other day and it was probably about 40 feet up a BIG slope, I knocked it about 10 feet past, but then made the putt coming back to still save par. My putting made the biggest improvement after doing one little thing: I don't forward press as much as I used too. I have very little forward press if any at all. I have been forward pressing ever since I bought Phil Mickelson's "Secrets of the Short Game" DVD a couple years back. Putting hasn't been bad but I never really made any improvements either. After doing a lot of reading up on the internet it found that there are just as many instructors that frown upon forward press as there are that promote it. So I thought I would just see how it worked for me if I didn't do it for a few rounds and my lines are better, and my pace is better. I feel like I am striking the ball right on the center of the putter most of the time and the ball gets rolling much better.

Great update IN. Really sounds like your work has paid off and now its time to see the results.
I'm starting to get ready for my day of Ben. My wife and son leave in about 2 hours or so, and I will leave for my round about then and spend some time on the range, and then off for 36 holes of fun and practice. I phoned the club this morning and I will be gaming a set of irons today that will be similar to what I will be gaming in the Morgan Cup, and I'm excited to see how I play with them.

Great update IN. Really sounds like your work has paid off and now its time to see the results.
I'm starting to get ready for my day of Ben. My wife and son leave in about 2 hours or so, and I will leave for my round about then and spend some time on the range, and then off for 36 holes of fun and practice. I phoned the club this morning and I will be gaming a set of irons today that will be similar to what I will be gaming in the Morgan Cup, and I'm excited to see how I play with them.

Oh yeah I completely forgot about you trying a set of MBs today. Looking forward to your thoughts! Have fun

Oh yeah I completely forgot about you trying a set of MBs today. Looking forward to your thoughts! Have fun
It will be a combo set of MB's and CB's and I'm excited to see how they play for me.

Quick 9 this morning in some awful conditions. Found my groove towards the end but I need to focus a bit more on course management and take a bit more time before each shot to visulaize what my plan is. To often I find myself just walking up to the ball and hitting it without focusing on where the real trouble spots are on the course and where the best place to miss is if I don't hit it perfectly.

Weather is not cooperating this weekend with me. It is about 38* with the wind with very very strong gusts. I had planned on going to the range and playing today - AND yesterday. After playing in the same exact conditions on Friday, I thought better of it. It is supposed to be warmer with less wind tomorrow. I am playing 9 holes tomorrow regardless of weather.

Weather is not cooperating this weekend with me. It is about 38* with the wind with very very strong gusts. I had planned on going to the range and playing today - AND yesterday. After playing in the same exact conditions on Friday, I thought better of it. It is supposed to be warmer with less wind tomorrow. I am playing 9 holes tomorrow regardless of weather.

For as nice as March was, April sure has been rotten.

I'm not going to be doing much for a week or so. Traveling this week and won't be home until Thursday night.

For as nice as March was, April sure has been rotten.

I'm not going to be doing much for a week or so. Traveling this week and won't be home until Thursday night.

Yup. Us too. I had visions of getting out 3-5 times a week and that has not happened. The good news is that it is still very very early.

Had a pretty good short game session this morning, and then played 18 holes.....short game really helping me keep my scores down...I had 2 pitch shots today where I put the ball "in the leather" gotta love those!

Prep work went great this weekend. The trophy is staying home where it has found a nice comfortable spot. Day 1 I played outstanding and dominated, day 2 I played decent but sort of leaked a little oil down the stretch and lost and day 3 against the top player in the field scratched out a halve. Match play is such a fun format and really a grind. I'm exhausted! Sign up has started for our match play tournament in Men's league so I'll get signed up for that and ready for more action.

0243153d.jpg

Well done - congrats Jake, that is awesome man!!

congrats Jake sounds like you had a great weekend!

Jake I was waiting to hear the results. Good job buddy, nothing like bringing home the hardware!

Saw this on The Facebook, congratulations man. That's a damn nice trophy!

--
Tapatalk2

Congrats Jake!!

Back