Morgan Cup - Preparation Thread

Got out late this afternoon after some rain showers. Steele and I went and played a little local 9 hole course that actually belongs to a local chemical plant...they have a swimming pool, clubhouse and a little 9 hole course.

The course is very tight for driving...lots of old full grown oak trees lining the fairways and limbs overhanging all over the place.....greens are incredibly small.....I mean the size of a 2 car garage small....LOL.

I had never played this course before and I struggled on the front 9.....I posted 2 8's enroute to an ugly 47....but I really turned things around on the back 9 after I got used to the layout....had 1 birdie on the back and shot 37....so 84 all together...but a really strange way to get there.

Got out late this afternoon after some rain showers. Steele and I went and played a little local 9 hole course that actually belongs to a local chemical plant...they have a swimming pool, clubhouse and a little 9 hole course.

The course is very tight for driving...lots of old full grown oak trees lining the fairways and limbs overhanging all over the place.....greens are incredibly small.....I mean the size of a 2 car garage small....LOL.

I had never played this course before and I struggled on the front 9.....I posted 2 8's enroute to an ugly 47....but I really turned things around on the back 9 after I got used to the layout....had 1 birdie on the back and shot 37....so 84 all together...but a really strange way to get there.

Odd that these two things are combined? hahahhaa. Nice way to come back dude. Good round - doesn't matter how you get there as long as you do!

Odd that these two things are combined? hahahhaa. Nice way to come back dude. Good round - doesn't matter how you get there as long as you do!

Hahaha exactly. I'll pass on their pool parties.

Nice backside Tim!! :bulgy-eyes:

--
Tapatalk2

Hahaha exactly. I'll pass on their pool parties.

Nice backside Tim!! :bulgy-eyes:

--
Tapatalk2

I had to read that sentence twice hahhhaha. At least it wasn't a sewer plant I guess.

Well as I mentioned a couple days ago, I have just been burned out lately. Working too much, working in a building with no AC and hot temps, and then trying to get out and practice several days a week had just really taken its toll on me. So I haven't really picked up a club much in the last 10 days or so, but the last couple of days I have just really tried to catch up on a lot of sleep and made sure I was eating good and just trying to get my energy back. Today I was feeling pretty good and I have been anxious to get back out and swing the X-Forged irons. I didn't go in having high expectations even though I have been playing well, I figured after the time off that would lead to a few bad shots, but I must say I hit the ball wonderfully. I started with some short half wedge shots, then moved to short irons, mid irons, and then long irons and woods. Throughout the bag I was just hitting the ball great and I was really excited. I should have some time to get out for a round or two this weekend if it doesn't rain and I'm really looking forward to it.

That's great to hear Bradd. Sometimes taking a little break can be a very good thing too.

So I teased it a little earlier today, but today was a very productive day. I had a lesson earlier today with my coach, who knows me pretty well after the past couple of years. Normally, we try to work on the swing as a whole, but today I told him that I really needed to work on my driver because my shots with that club have been pretty poor recently. I took a few swings with my driver at the start of the lesson so he could get it on video, and then he showed me how ugly it was.

I was fine taking the club back to about 9 o'clock, but from then on I was taking the club back much too flat, or laid off in other words. At about shoulder high, my butt end of the club should point towards the ball, mine was pointing about 3-4 feet outside of the ball. Taking the club back like that resulted in me being well under the plane on the downswing, leading to my bugaboo: either a big push or hook. At that point, I was making driver swings and was as stuck on the downswing as Tiger Woods circa 2010, it was bad. I don't do really well with multiple swing thoughts in my mind, so all we worked on was feeling the right forearm above the left forearm on my backswing, which would get the club to work steeper on the backswing. Doing that sets the club up better for the downswing, and I started to hit some shots that were starting more down the target line and had some more heat on them as well. I'll still have to work on it some in the next couple of weeks, but now I have a clear swing thought that I'll be taking with my into the Morgan Cup. I'm hoping that I can hit some straighter drives in the near future and my scores will drop!

My coach also took a quick look at my short game, and I hit some really nice chips and lob shots. After seeing that and seeing the progress I made on my full swing, he said to me "I think you're really close to playing the best golf of your life." I was pretty happy about that, hopefully it comes during the Morgan Cup!

Glad to hear you got your driver swing back doc.

Got nine in today but I'm back on the bench until Tuesday.

Good for you Amol! That has to be a great feeling when your coach tells you that. I hope to hear that next week, but we will see.

No way...hurt it again? Rest it up buddy. We've gotta have you ready to go in MB

Thanks Smalls. Go conservative with your play right now, get everything healed up so that you're in good shape in a month!

Great news Ary, I know how frustrating that must have been. It really is amazing how quickly you can lose your swing, and then just as quickly it can come back. My prep today was playing 18 holes really as more of a stress reliever than anything else.

Outside of a terrible 3 hole stretch I played great golf including reaching 2 par 5's in two resulting in two birdies, and a third birdie on a par 4. I'm not all that sure when I will be able to get back out there, as this weekend is full of family time and next week just like all the previous weeks lately is so jammed pack with work that I battle for THP time, let alone golfing.

My next real prep is next weekend where I'm playing in the Bear Mountain Amateur tournament which is a 2 day event that I really want to play well in, so I'm really going to try and fit at least 3-4 range sessions in this week to make sure my all around game is tight.

My prep might be coming to an end for a bit. Last weekend I was BBQing and as I was laying the coals down one fell onto the patio. I never go outside barefoot. Well almost never. Stepped on the lit coal and WOW! Couldn't get the darn thing off my foot either. Well on Thursday I played and it started to really bother me at the end of 9. Yesterday I could not really walk comfortably on it. There is a big hard lump there. I think I need to go to the doctor on Monday. I will try and play sometime this weekend though.

My prep might be coming to an end for a bit. Last weekend I was BBQing and as I was laying the coals down one fell onto the patio. I never go outside barefoot. Well almost never. Stepped on the lit coal and WOW! Couldn't get the darn thing off my foot either. Well on Thursday I played and it started to really bother me at the end of 9. Yesterday I could not really walk comfortably on it. There is a big hard lump there. I think I need to go to the doctor on Monday. I will try and play sometime this weekend though.
WOW ******, thats freaking awful man. You need to get that taken care of so you can get back at it.

So I teased it a little earlier today, but today was a very productive day. I had a lesson earlier today with my coach, who knows me pretty well after the past couple of years. Normally, we try to work on the swing as a whole, but today I told him that I really needed to work on my driver because my shots with that club have been pretty poor recently. I took a few swings with my driver at the start of the lesson so he could get it on video, and then he showed me how ugly it was.

I was fine taking the club back to about 9 o'clock, but from then on I was taking the club back much too flat, or laid off in other words. At about shoulder high, my butt end of the club should point towards the ball, mine was pointing about 3-4 feet outside of the ball. Taking the club back like that resulted in me being well under the plane on the downswing, leading to my bugaboo: either a big push or hook. At that point, I was making driver swings and was as stuck on the downswing as Tiger Woods circa 2010, it was bad. I don't do really well with multiple swing thoughts in my mind, so all we worked on was feeling the right forearm above the left forearm on my backswing, which would get the club to work steeper on the backswing. Doing that sets the club up better for the downswing, and I started to hit some shots that were starting more down the target line and had some more heat on them as well. I'll still have to work on it some in the next couple of weeks, but now I have a clear swing thought that I'll be taking with my into the Morgan Cup. I'm hoping that I can hit some straighter drives in the near future and my scores will drop!

My coach also took a quick look at my short game, and I hit some really nice chips and lob shots. After seeing that and seeing the progress I made on my full swing, he said to me "I think you're really close to playing the best golf of your life." I was pretty happy about that, hopefully it comes during the Morgan Cup!

Awesome to hear bro. This is exactly what I love hearing!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear about this man. I hope everything is ok!

Ouch Chunky!

Where's ary? What do you do for burns man?

Well looks like its going to rain all day here..so my prep will probably be watching golf all day and drinking beer

Ouch Chunky!

Pain control, antibacterial ointment on top of the affected area. If the area blisters, don't pop them, but if they open up on their own, you can take off the dead skin.

I know, it's a little nasty, but you asked, so I answered.

WTF bro? Why didn't you tell me that happened? Get it looked at and follow Dr. Dolphin's advice.

What's with all the injuries up in here? Get better dudes!

I did some putting practice and am going to hit my freshly adjusted irons later. I've been doing the swing drills prescribed to me for the last couple days and I feel pretty good. Here's to hoping!

Chunky that sucks dude, put some
Savv on it. At least that's what Jackie (lawyer from seinfeld) said

Jackie knows!! It's not that bad dudes. Just looks like a frikken blister but it's hard and I didn't really even notice it until the last few holes of the round. Now it's a little painful. Still going to play on it though. Just want to be safe than sorry and will have a doctor look at it.

No way...hurt it again? Rest it up buddy. We've gotta have you ready to go in MB

Thanks Smalls. Go conservative with your play right now, get everything healed up so that you're in good shape in a month!
Just a little pain, nothing like when I had to stop for a while. It didn't hurt at all this morning, so I think I just need to go conservative as the doc says. But completely stopping is going to be tough. Think I'll spend most of my time in my yard chipping and pitching balls into a small wading pool.

Crap, we are all the walking wounded around here.

Ouch Chunky!

Butter. hahaha

Spoiler
Just kidding on the butter.

Wow Chunky that sounds painful! Hope it starts feeling better soon.

After I surprised myself with one of the best range sessions ever yesterday I decided to go out and play 9 holes today. I was ready to pick that course apart. However, yesterday it seemed like I couldn't mis-hit it, today it seemed like I couldn't hit it. Irons were decent, I am actually hitting them very well. I just couldnt get off the tee. The course wasn't busy at all because it was so hot out, so on some holes I hit like 5-6 drives and only 1 or two would end up in the fairway. The same thing was happening with my 3w. My miss wasn't consistent either. One shot I'd push it, next I'd pull it, then I'd slice it, then I'd hook it, then I'd hit one straight. So I really don't know what I'm doing wrong. Lots of golf coming up the next two days though so hopefully I can get out there and get it fixed.

Back